Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #421 of 761
Off the top of my head, the docs have nowhere near the detail or clarity of my K701s or HD600s. That's my personal take on it, and for me I would prefer a larger soundstage with more instrument seperation for most of my listening. The soundstage is great on some things though. They are not my favorite for live recordings for that very reason.

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #422 of 761
the docs definitely lost out to my W1000 on clarity and details as well as being less natural sounding. Guitars on the W1000 are a joy to listen to while they sound a bit muted on the docs...

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #423 of 761
Hey guys I got my cable from Larry @ Headphile yesterday. I can't tell you much about it though. Can you believe I don't have a decent amp in the house? I just sold my PPA and my new Lavry. And I don't like the docs with my Portaphile. I have a Zhaolu D2 arriving Monday, but the stock headamp is not that great. The discreet headamp module will be sent as soon as ifi audio gets them. And I have a new Darkvoice 336 tube amp coming in a few weeks, after they build a 110v version for me at the factory. So until then I'm stuck listening to my headphone out of my preamp. Uhggg! It's not that bad compared to most pre's, but I'm used to steak instead of ground round. The cable length is much more manageable, and of coarse the quality is at Larry's high standards. But I'll let you know more about SQ as soon as I get a real amp again.

P.S.
My K340's are my top tier cans, and not much would dethrone them IMO, but I still find myself reaching for the docs a lot. They don't have to be perfect to be fun, heck I still love my KSC-75's.

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #424 of 761
Well with some kindly help from warrior05, I decided to order the docs. They should be in this week, can't wait to hear them! I only have onboard sound and no amp at the moment as I'm financially challenged, but if it's really worth it maybe one day I'll get a nice sound card, and maaaybe an amp. Not sure if I can justify the cost of an amp too, though.

Jun 12, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #425 of 761
Hi skurge13, welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet..

well.. stick around here long enough and I'm sure you will get an amp and more headphoens and more amps and then you will be even more financially challenged...

quick.. run away screaming while you still can and put head-fi on the list of banned websites!!!

Jun 12, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #426 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by skurge13
Well with some kindly help from warrior05, I decided to order the docs. They should be in this week, can't wait to hear them! I only have onboard sound and no amp at the moment as I'm financially challenged, but if it's really worth it maybe one day I'll get a nice sound card, and maaaybe an amp. Not sure if I can justify the cost of an amp too, though.

Your onboard sound should be enough to drive them ok. But if you need something not so wallet emptying in the mean time check out the TBAAM (turtle beach audio advantage micro) It's a USB sound card that you can find for around ~20 ish retail and even cheaper from Ebay if you look around; I got mine for $12 shipped. The SQ overall was similar to my onboard, but where this thing shone was in the bass punch, which it gives a more of in the DR150's. Another headfier even commented in a post not too long ago about how they drove his HD650' surprisingly well for such a small thing.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #427 of 761
swt - you are the biggest f'ing tease!! i've been waiting and waiting to hear what effect larry's cable would have on the docs. you finally get them but you have no amp?!!! argh!
very_evil_smiley.gif
i HATE to wait!
tongue.gif

hey, skurge - welcome aboard the GR bus. look forward to hearing your impressions when the docs make the house call. the great thing about them they can grow with you. you have no amp now... wait until you get one. and if you get a chance to try a couple of amps, the DR150s really reveal how different in sound signature an amp can make. they are a ton of fun and i'm never letting mine go.

by the way, gang. recently a pair of DR150s was on the For Sale board. i contacted the seller and offered him a rather low price but it was mostly due to a problem he had with them. i figured i would try to get them and play with recabling them. haven't heard back but i'm keeping my eyes open. so if any of you hear anything, let me know. i'm hoping to grab a pair for a bill - not much more.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #428 of 761
Thanks for the welcome you guys. And Kalidor, thanks for saying the "sorry about your wallet" line to me, I was hoping someone would do that! That line cracks me up. It's so true though. I've already been reading about sound cards and amps and wondering what I should get...damn you head-fi.org!!

brn, I went to ncix's page to check that usb card, and it's 38 dollars Canadian. The Chaintech is only 26 though, maybe I should get that. AAAAHG, I wasn't supposed to be even thinking about buying anything else right now!!! I'll wait and see if I can afford an X-Fi. Hey, is the X-Fi better than the Chaintech for playing music?

Docs didn't come today. Blast it, I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. I can't wait!

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #429 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
swt - you are the biggest f'ing tease!! i've been waiting and waiting to hear what effect larry's cable would have on the docs. you finally get them but you have no amp?!!! argh!
very_evil_smiley.gif
i HATE to wait!
tongue.gif

LOL. It shouldn't be too long. I got my Zhaolu D2 today and the amp upgrade should be here in a week or so.

Welcome aboard skurge13!

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #430 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
LOL. It shouldn't be too long. I got my Zhaolu D2 today and the amp upgrade should be here in a week or so.

Welcome aboard skurge13!

How's that Zhaolu? I have been rather interested in getting one. Where did you get it from?

Oh, and warrior, I saw that doc you were interested in buying, he was asking a pretty steep price for some defective cans, IMO. Surprised anyone would want to pay that much. BTW, you can't have mine...
tongue.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #431 of 761
Well..I have had my DOCs for a good little bit now. I also recently picked up some KSC 75s for portable use. I still love the Docs very much. I can hook them up to my sonic gilmore and just jam. They give me what I missed about Grados without any of the harshness. These and my akg 501s provide me with 2 cans that can handle just about every genre of music for a relatively untrained ear. GO Team DOC!

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #432 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
How's that Zhaolu? I have been rather interested in getting one. Where did you get it from?

Oh, and warrior, I saw that doc you were interested in buying, he was asking a pretty steep price for some defective cans, IMO. Surprised anyone would want to pay that much. BTW, you can't have mine...
tongue.gif

I'm really liking it so far, it's getting better by the hour. The stock amp module sucks, but I hear the upgraded module is pretty good, should have that in a week or so. The Zhaolu is very close to the Lavry stock, and I've read that with the right mods it can surpass it. It's less than a third of the price! I bought mine from iFi audio. It was $225 shipped. That's for the D2C with the upgraded CS4398 DAC module. Wei at iFi audio is a great guy to deal with. I loved the Lavry, but $225.00 vs. $975.00 was my reasoning for selling the Lavry and getting the Zhaolu.

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #434 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hemos
Just wondering if any of you know if we could fit DT770 pads on the DR150. These pads are a tight fit for my ears and I know I was comfy in DT770.

Max

I doubt it, the 770 pads are round, the docs have small oval pads. I agree, I would like larger pads...

Jun 21, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #435 of 761
Who mentioned the PINT again?

I have a PINT and the Goldrings are going to be stocked by a local retailer (DR150, should be about US$130 or so) and I'm more than interested in getting one sinc eI've been wanting a full sized can. The DR150 seems to be a good start.

Back to the PINT, which op-amp are you using inside it? I've dual AD8397s running as the op-amp and ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back