Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #376 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sladeophile
Not offended, just surprised. If I've learned anything from this hobby, it's to give cans a LONG time to see if you like them. If you don't after a while, get rid of them...

One of the reasons why I love this hobby...nearly limitless upgrading/downgrading/sidegrading/diagonalgrading and what have you. It makes it so much fun. Also, members like ltucci who take the time to explain themselves make this a great forum. Great point ltucci...definitely having fun with the docs.

Love the docs...not my favorite phones, but they make great travel phones and just for that alone (not to mention great sound) they are a pretty solid value in my book.

May 24, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #377 of 761
A long time? My ears would be broke and deaf if I use the DR150 for any length of time. Its nice you feel the way you do but some of use know in a few days if we like a can or not. You have every right to defend the 150 but I also have every right to say its very low standard. Look lets be friends and lets just say the DR150 are not for me but might be great for you. I say again. Please enjoy them and I will back off from this post in honor of those who like the can. Peace

May 24, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #378 of 761
wow - a flurry of posts!

hey, ltucci - to each their own. too bad it didn't work out but that's the cool thing about headphones - they are very subjective and all that matters is what sounds good to you. and once you find them - oh, how wonderful it is!

as for the amped vs. unamped - i remember that i first started listening to my GRs through my PA2V2. a couple of days later i plugged them straight into my Audigy break out box and was quite surprised at the difference. what soundstage was there was mostly gone as well as some clarity and bass impact.

very interesting about the PINT synergy. i would be curious to compare the PINT with my Supermacro 3V3 which i think is an absolutely heavenly match with the GRs. dare i get one just to try? argh!!! i'm already trying desperately to ignore swt's comments about the Lavry but he keeps bringing it up!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

i think i need to have my wife hide my credit cards.
rolleyes.gif

May 24, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #379 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
. More later, but so far...my Lamdas, my millet hybrid, and my SR71's are absolutely no match to the PINT...no match.

Isn't it cool to find that great match!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor
Hey geys, guess what.. I recently got back my W1000 from a friend who had been borrowing them for awhile and A-Bed with the DR150

I was sadly disappointed with the DR150..
confused.gif

Well you are comparing them to $439.00 headphones. I'm not surprised that they're bested by the W1000's. They don't win any contest against my K340's either, but I really like their fun forward nature, and for $125.00 still sing their praises!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
Just my opion but I feel the DR150 are very entry level headphones and brake up with good volume. They seem to be a starter headphone that cost way to much money. I prefer the KOSS UR40,portapro,75 over them. And of course the Senn. 555 are miles better than them . Just my opinion.

Hey that's cool. I don't have a problem with your opinion at all. I hate it when people have to have everyone else think exactly as they do (past K701 wars & current GS1000 war). I still really like them. I have other reference headphones, but find myself with these on my head when I want to just have fun. But I'm glad you didn't seem to have to take a loss on them to try them out. That's what makes this forum so cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
i'm already trying desperately to ignore swt's comments about the Lavry but he keeps bringing it up!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

i think i need to have my wife hide my credit cards.
rolleyes.gif

I'd be willing to send it to you for you to try out!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #381 of 761
Quote:

swt - you are an evil man!!
biggrin.gif

Ahhh come on. I'm just tryin' to help a fellow Head-Fier lighten his load a little (wallet).

(sublimenal message...buy a Lavry...buy a Lavry...buy a Lavry...buy a Lavry...)

May 24, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #382 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
Curious...what was your source? My ipods (Shuffle, Nano, and Video) drive them quite well and they nearly took my eardrums off on my Sony D5A PCDP - all unamped of course. With the aforementioned sources the amp just added a more dynamic and richer sound. I'm getting my PINT today, so I'll let you guys know how the doctors synergize with that amp.

I was using them unamped with my iRiver H140. It drives them with ease (I was initially surprised by the efficiency of these cans), but the sound is missing something. I'd still consider them for unamped listening, but to me, the KSC75 comes first in that department.

Has anyone tried a DR150/Headroom Total Bithead combo? I'm considering this amp.

May 24, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #383 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
A long time? My ears would be broke and deaf if I use the DR150 for any length of time. Its nice you feel the way you do but some of use know in a few days if we like a can or not. You have every right to defend the 150 but I also have every right to say its very low standard. Look lets be friends and lets just say the DR150 are not for me but might be great for you. I say again. Please enjoy them and I will back off from this post in honor of those who like the can. Peace

Hey man, I wasn't slamming you, I was just saying how I do it. No worries...

May 24, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #384 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by boss
I was using them unamped with my iRiver H140. It drives them with ease (I was initially surprised by the efficiency of these cans), but the sound is missing something. I'd still consider them for unamped listening, but to me, the KSC75 comes first in that department.

Has anyone tried a DR150/Headroom Total Bithead combo? I'm considering this amp.

I feel the DR150 does need an amp. Bass become cleaner and more details are revealed.

DR150 + Firestone Encore > DR150 + Audigy Platinum Box > iPod Nano

The HD595, on the other hand, does not improve much with my amp, only a bit more spatious and airy.

May 24, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #385 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by boss

These are very finicky headphones. They really like certain sources and amps over others more than any other headphone I've heard. Could be just not the greatest synergy happening. I have not tried the Total Bithead with them, but would eagerly recommend this product. Even if you don't like the synergy with the DR150's, you're sure to like the amp.

May 24, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #388 of 761
It's nice that the W1000s sound better than the DR150s. They're also three times as expensive. I even liked the A900 LTDs better, but those are more than two times more expensive (if you can find them that is). These aren't very well-known or owned cans so it's nice to have something unique with incredible bass response. I plan on driving these just from my PA2v2. I do appreciate the negative comments here, it does put them into perspective.

May 24, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #389 of 761
Quote:

after getting your Total Bithead, swt's then going to suggest you get a Lavry. he's evil, you know.
evil_smiley.gif

How did you know that? That's amazing! You must be psychic! LOL!

Quote:

if any of you GR owners out there are cowboy junkies fans you MUST listen to Lay It Down! i can't get enough of it! listening to it right now and just marvel how great the cd sounds on the doctors.

I have "The Caution Horses" and "The Trinity Session". What album is "Lay It Down" from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I plan on driving these just from my PA2v2.

I take that to mean they still have not arrived
confused.gif
You are a patient man Duke! I think we all should throw Duke a party when they show up. How do you do that long distance?

May 24, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #390 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
I take that to mean they still have not arrived
confused.gif
You are a patient man Duke! I think we all should throw Duke a party when they show up. How do you do that long distance?

I expect the biggest DR150 bash ever. Although I am a part of Team DR150 even though I don't have my set. It may take until early June but damn I'll wait for them.

There are many other reasons why I like the DR150 other than just the SQ over other headphones. Mainly:

> Single sided cord! I hate two sided cords. I hate the Grado cord layout but they rock with rock so they're forgiven.
> Detachable cord. Incredibly easily upgradability.
> Comfort, pretty comfortable, but an HD600 would be more comfortable or AT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back