Official Goldring DR150 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyli3
Hi,I'm in the UK and have read the hifi world review without taking all that much notice i'm afraid,if i'd realised how popular the DR150 was proving on head-fi i'd have taken in more info,all i can say is the the guy thought they punched well above their price and outperformed his [i think] senn hd570.I think the DR150 was described as a good rock can.
I also noticed in another mag called hifi choice a small piece about the DR100+DR150 where they were rated 77%,it was suggested the DR150 suffered a little from sibilance.
To be honest i never buy or take much notice of mags when headphones are involved,hell i might pick a pair of these up during the week and see how they stack up against my hd-25-1's for rock! sorry not to be more help but it was at least a week ago when i saw the above mag's.

Hey thanks for giving us the overall flavor of the review! Much appreciated. The DR150's do suffer from some sibilance, but it disappears with burn in. Also source and amp choices play a large roll in the overall SQ.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #17 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
I see that Wowie11 beat me to the initial punch. Here's my review:

I will preface this review of the Goldring's DR150 by saying I'm somewhat new to this headphile arena in that I don't have a lot of diverse headphile experience. I've listened through PX100, 7506, E2C, E4, HD590, DT770/80, AD700 and have only had a Total Airhead (3 AAA model) and a PA2V2.

I purchased these 'phones due to Team DR150's founding father - SWT61 - and his opinions and the very reasonable $125 shipped cost (Mantra Audio). My most recent set - the AD700s - have been a very pleasing experience but with some of the driving music I listen to they are a bit too laid back. From what I was hearing from SWT61, the DR150s were the answer. And indeed they are...

Upon initial inspection I can see how money was saved in the manufacturing. All plastic construction. The ear cups are symetrical so only one mold needed for both sides. Don't get me wrong, though - these are nice looking cans and nicely built. I love the size of them as well. As compact as circumaural cans can be. The headband is nicely padded with a covering of velour. The padding of the ear cups is just like my HD590s.

Comfort: The clamping pressure is just a tad high - hopefully it will loosen up a bit over time. I wore these for nearly 3 hour straight, though, and if it wasn't for the feeling of some pressure these cans just disappeared, they are that comfortable. In terms of comfort, my HD590s are a 10. These I would rate at 9.5. If the headband loosens up - it will easily be a 10.

Now for the most important part - sound: Because I plan on using these mostly with my Zen Sleek / PA2V2 combo, that's what I tested these with. The music I listen to is as follows:

Electronic - Ambient and Downtempo a la Biosphere, Boards of Canada, Carbon Based Lifeforms, etc
Rock - Jack Johnson, Peter Gabriel, Beth Orton, Cowboy Junkies, Derek Trucks, Counting Crows, some Pearl Jam, etc.
Blues - BB King, Sonny Landreth, SRV, Ronnie Earl, John Lee Hooker
Classical - guitar pieces played by the likes of David Russell, Manuel Barrueco, Julian Bream, Angel Romero, etc. Also I'm a Wagner fan with Tannhauser being my fav.

In short, I threw a little of everything from above at these cans and it handled them all from quite good to quite astonishing. These are lively cans and certainly more up front than my AD700s. This is not to say they don't have any kind of soundstage - oh, yes they do. Maybe not expansive but it is open. They are also detailed. The first song on JFC's Electronique Love has this one part where there's a bass sweep that I always enjoy testing cans with and these cans not only handled them just fine but I picked up on some nuances I hadn't heard before. I'm kind of a junior basshead and these cans deliver! I love the tight bass response and this is right out of the box. The midrange is nice and present. Vocals sound terrific. The highs are well represented as well though I did hit a couple of songs where they became slightly piercing but then I was never a treble guy.

These cans are just a ton of fun. They are exciting and handle Blues, Blues/Rock and Rock just fine thank you very much. I'm loving my Electronic music as well. Maybe not as much space as my ATs but absolutely no complaints. I don't listen to a lot of classical and listening to Tannhauser I can see where the higher end cans would be preferred but for this occassional listener - I was quite satisfied.

The gist of it is that these are the most balanced 'phones I've ever listened to. They kind of remind me of the DT770/80 but with the mids there. Okay, the bass is not as present as the Beyer's but I'm more than happy with it.

$125? An absolute bargain!!!

LOL...yeah, this was actually just copied of a post that I had quite a while ago from the thread entitled:
Look what the UPS guy just delivered... (56K warning)

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #18 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Hey thanks for giving us the overall flavor of the review! Much appreciated. The DR150's do suffer from some sibilance, but it disappears with burn in. Also source and amp choices play a large roll in the overall SQ.

Yep, the sibilance is almost completely gone after 250+ hours

Apr 18, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #21 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfunk408
i'll try to compare these with my hd555 and hd580 when it comes in.

That would be interesting as the HD555 was one that I was considering to buy before I moved upwards to the HD595 and the AD900. I finally settled on the DR150...

Hopefully it will be everything that everyone has said so far...

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #22 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfunk408
i'll try to compare these with my hd555 and hd580 when it comes in.

And I'll compare the DR150 with my HD595 and perhaps borrow my friend's HD650. I like Classical, Modern (classical) and Rock music quite a lot. Although the bass of HD650 is surely better than my lovely 595, during my earlier comparisons, I find the HD595 more suitable for me because it provide excellent sound quality out of an iPod nano without an AMP that I can wear it out whenever I want to have a good and relax walk near my home.

Wonder if the DR150 is going to be my portable favorite.

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #23 of 761
The package is delivered 4/12 and I get it this afternoon, a little faster than expected. Here are some pictures

I know you must have seen tons of pictures like this on head-fi ... here's just another one.

001.jpg

size comparison between the HD595 and DR150, obviously DR150 is smaller. I have to fully extend the head-band to be able to put my ears in the correct position, and as others pointed out, it is a bit too tight for now.

004.jpg

005.jpg

As an initial impression from the first 20 mins listening, I feel this can is a bit too aggressive for my taste, with bass stronger than my HD595. I'll try to write something more once I've spend more time with it.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 761
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenghanHsieh
As an initial impression from the first 20 mins listening, I feel this can is a bit too aggresive for my taste, but it do have stronger bass than my HD595. I'll try to write something more once I've spend more time with it.
eggosmile.gif

Keep it burning in. It does mellow a bit, but is still a forward "i'm here" kind of can. You may want to try different cables after burn in.

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:28 PM Post #25 of 761
i find its aggressiveness is what makes it fun. though i noticed you mentioned classical in regards of what you listen to. if that is your primary music choice than you might be a bit disappointed. i would say classical is the one form of music that i've found so far where these cans fall a little bit short. for the occassional listener - i.e. me - they're fine.

enjoy discovering the DR150s! i know i still am!
biggrin.gif
wait till you try different sources. amazing differences.

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #26 of 761
So far I have listened to mine through the Pimeta and straight from the onboard SC on my PC. The sound stage and depth seems to diminish greatly on the later. They also seem to lose focus and authority without the extra power. Just some quick observations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back