Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Jan 10, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #676 of 1,418
I ordered my C700's yesterday from Amazon instead of a pair of AKG K271S since I haven't built my Millett MAX yet (I'm waiting for the PCBs to arrive next week and order my other parts from Beezer as well). So, I decided to grab a set of C700s so I can run them off my 3G iPod or old Phillips PCDP. These C700s may sway me to buy a set of AH-D2000s instead of the K271s and K601s as well. Or I may just jump in with both feet and go for the AH-D5000s.
biggrin.gif

I have one question though... Has anybody used the C700s on an airplane? I have a set of E2Gs with the foams that I wear on the planes for the isolation, but I know my E2Gs are weighted for more bass and sometimes it's too much with over-produced music tracks and lower bit rates. My concern is having the background noise from the aircraft kill the benefits of the C700s better response and greater sound stage. I'm going to try the ear plug foam mod on the C700s and see if it helps. I'll post up in a couple of weeks after I receive my 'phones and make few flights. I'll be comparing the lower E2Gs against the C700s in the worst environment for background noise, so it might be interesting.

Thanks for pointing me to these 'phones everyone!

Edit: Well, I checked Amazon and because of the free shipping, everything will be shipped together and one of the books has a 2 week lead-time, so my order and 'phones won't ship until the last week of January. This sucks!

- BMF

Jan 10, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #677 of 1,418
Haven't been on a plane with them, but I find isolation once the music plays on par with my Shure E4C's with olive foams in noisy busses and trains, so they are probably okay for flying too.

Here is what I find the best way to wear them: I put the little plastic thingy where the left and right phone-cord join in my collar at the back and wear the phones with the cord down (I hate wires over my ears). Out of my shirt or whatever I wear come the cords to the phones. Works great against microphonics and tugging the wire, and when I take them out they dangle on my fronshoulder like a J-corded phone (without the disadvantages of J-cords, onesided tugs).

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #678 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by chance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Denon better. The only problem is my wife stole them from me. Where is the love :frowning2:

Is that not grounds for divorce????

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #680 of 1,418
Goddammit! They're back up to $141.36 again...
I am not too keen on spending that much money on them (although I've been wanting them for a while).

What sort of vile scourge has fallen upon my luck so that I miss the awesome pricing by one day? And what sort of black magic is at hand to cause such inflation?? Amazon doesn't have sales, does it?

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #681 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashxcore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not too keen on spending that much money on them (although I've been wanting them for a while).

What sort of vile scourge has fallen upon my luck so that I miss the awesome pricing by one day? And what sort of black magic is at hand to cause such inflation?? Amazon doesn't have sales, does it?

The 'real' price on Amazon seems to be $200 - so the $99 was an absolute steal.

Even at $140 they're worth it.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #682 of 1,418
Quote:

Man, I had an awesome deal off of Ebay: a brand new c700 for under $110 shipped. If you see people who takes offers, shoot them a reasonable offer.

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #683 of 1,418
Quote:

Well, I think my order pulled the last unit that was in stock at the $99/pr price. First In, First Out inventory with the pricing tied to a limited quantity in real-time... I had three other items in my shopping cart for a couple of days while I waffled on which 'phones to buy. One book went up a few cents, one book went down almost a dollar, and one book was no longer available from the seller I had selected since it was a used book. I ended up ordering it new from Amazon since the new price plus $4 shipping on the used book was more than the new book with free shipping on my order.

I checked my order tonight and it showed the C700s and Glass Audio Project Book as ready to ship soon, so they were pulled from inventory at an undisclosed location. Maybe they will ship together from Lexington, KY. I hope so, then they'll be here before my trip next Wednesday.

You can put the C700s in your wish list and keep an eye on them, I'm sure the pricing will come down again.

- BMF

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #684 of 1,418
Nabbed the C700s at Amazon for only $100 (holy ****!)

Will give some tests and thoughts. My 2nd IEM... first was Super.Fi 5 Pro, so it's got a lot of reputation at stake
smily_headphones1.gif
Will be running off an unamped Zune 80gb. Can't wait!

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #686 of 1,418
Just received the C700s today and listened to them for about a hour. Needed a replacement for my broken ER6i(very bad for exercise). C700s sounds smooth like my Sennheiser HD600s (minus soundstage, clarity). The
C700s has more bass bump/thump than the ER6i did...not sure if it's excessive or not because I have very little IEM experience. However, I feel as if the C700s are slightly veiled relative to the ER6i's crisp clarity and analytical sound. Maybe not wearing it properly is causing this slight veil, but I don't think these canalphones are supposed to go deep in my ear like the ER6i triflange are supposed to. Either I haven't broken into them long enough, or this veil I'm experiencing is just a "warm" sound signature of the Denons. However, I'm still very happy with my purchase at $99. The cord isn't a thin piece of crap like the Etys and there's less microphonics with Denon's superior build quality.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #687 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by geforcewong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I feel as if the C700s are slightly veiled relative to the ER6i's crisp clarity and analytical sound. Maybe not wearing it properly is causing this slight veil, but I don't think these canalphones are supposed to go deep in my ear like the ER6i

They don't go in really deep, but some people are getting a better fit by 'twisting' them at an angle. So shove them in - and then kind of twist them a 1/4 turn towards you so the cable moves outwards. Sorry, can't explain that very well, but they should grip better if you try that.

I'm sure the 'veil' will disappear once you've put in more listening time. I find them warm yet very clear at the same time. Maybe hook them up to some music and leave them playing overnight, that should help them even out.

ShinyFalcon
Quote:

Are you still looking for ajmiarka's review comparing q-JAYS and C700? I think I found it:

Thanks!! We needed the q-JAYS comparison and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #688 of 1,418
Mine are coming real soon! I'm excited to finally have a nice pair of portables. Ill let you all know how I like them once I have them.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #690 of 1,418
hey airplane question - i have used them on an airplane - 2x or so. you will not need much more volume from your portable than usual. the denon are not that much of an isolator but they do as well as other canals like senns. i used them to the kyoto just recently and they were fine.

i use the audio technica finefit sleeves which in small format go very deep in the canal (for a canal phone) and deliver a bit more isolation than the sony or stock. great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back