Official Denon AH-C700 Comparisons/Impressions
Dec 23, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #631 of 1,418
one day this forum will be outlawed, but in the meantime, thanks to this threat, I ordered the C70's too.
I'll give you my impression but let me warn you; they'll be a boring repeat of what others have said; still, potential customers might value as much opinions as they can get.
Builtquality is excellent, the cable, plug and metal earpieces give a very solid impression. The cable untangles itself, and I found out that I unconsciously always prepare myself for untangling when reaching for my 'phones, but not anymore.
Comfort is very good, which amazed me, expecting them to fall out easy because of the weight on the outer ends, But they stay put.
the cord is slightly microphonic, putting the piece where the thin wires come together in my shirt helps.
Isolation is not as good as my Shure E4G-with-olives, but once the music plays it grabs your attention and I forget about backgroundnoise.
Soundquality is excellent; coming from the E4G, the first thing that hit me was the bass; the E4Gs had vitually none (less then the 4C I had before) the Denons bass is solid and deep yet not too overwhelming. The mids stand out too, making it very easy to follow music. The treble is the weakest spot, sounding slightly metallic, but it is not really bad. I'm rather sensitive to trebledistortion but can still listen to these without fatigue.
The Denons are fullranged, detailed and dynamic, and compliment my Sony A808 very well. No false warmth in the midbass in this combo, but a very colorful detailed and dynamic sound, making it easy to focus on instruments, hoe they sound and how they are played but also very musical letting the emotions and intentions come through effordlessly. (BTW, DSEE on the Sony helps to slightly smoothen the treble).
My other portable phones will be gathering dust in a closet I fear.
The comparison to the E4G's isn't even funny, the denons offer so much more of everything, more detail, more dynamics, more bass....
That sums it up then, no new insights, I'm very happy I bought them, thank you for pointing this one out.

Dec 23, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #632 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one day this forum will be outlawed, but in the meantime, thanks to this threat, I ordered the C70's too.
I'll give you my impression but let me warn you; they'll be a boring repeat of what others have said; still, potential customers might value as much opinions as they can get. That sums it up then, no new insights, I'm very happy I bought them, thank you for pointing this one out.

Hi Dura - really glad you weren't disappointed with them. Now you and I have exactly the same combination of player + headphones, so we really should hear exactly the same sound
biggrin.gif

Re: treble, I love the treble on these headphones, but reading back through some of the posts, a couple of people thought it was too fatiguing. That seems to be the major difference (for me) between the C700s and C551s (which are now part of my 'collection'). The treble is definitely softer with the C551s but still more detailed than a lot of other headphones I've used, so they might be a good alternative for anyone with known sensitivity to treble.

I know what you mean about automatically going to untangle the cable. It takes a while to realise it just drops free of its own accord. Very nice touch for those of us who set aside the whole morning to untangle unruly cables.

I'll put your impressions on the first page as you've bought the E4G/C into the equation and all info is useful. Glad you got them in time for Christmas
biggrin.gif

PS. You might also want to try the Sony tips as well. I found they actually improved the sound (which seemed impossible, but true!). They seem to grip even better and widen the soundstage. Just a tip
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #633 of 1,418
Hi Soozieq, glad to be made official and thanks for the tip, I'll try the sony tips, got a box full of them. I added one more sentence comparing the Denons to the Shure E4G.
Do you have your other Denons yet? I'm interested in your comparison.

Dec 23, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #635 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Dura - really glad you weren't disappointed with them. Now you and I have exactly the same combination of player + headphones, so we really should hear exactly the same sound
biggrin.gif

Re: treble, I love the treble on these headphones, but reading back through some of the posts, a couple of people thought it was too fatiguing. That seems to be the major difference (for me) between the C700s and C551s (which are now part of my 'collection'). The treble is definitely softer with the C551s but still more detailed than a lot of other headphones I've used, so they might be a good alternative for anyone with known sensitivity to treble.

I know what you mean about automatically going to untangle the cable. It takes a while to realise it just drops free of its own accord. Very nice touch for those of us who set aside the whole morning to untangle unruly cables.

I'll put your impressions on the first page as you've bought the E4G/C into the equation and all info is useful. Glad you got them in time for Christmas
biggrin.gif

PS. You might also want to try the Sony tips as well. I found they actually improved the sound (which seemed impossible, but true!). They seem to grip even better and widen the soundstage. Just a tip
smily_headphones1.gif

His wont sound the "same" until he burns them in for 100+ hours, and mine actually continued to mature and smooth out through 200 hours. Nice at first > fantastic over time.

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #636 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you burn in the C551?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
Do you have your other Denons yet? I'm interested in your comparison.

Yes I did
biggrin.gif
. . and here's what I think.

They are an amazing backup pair for the C700, or as a primary pair for anyone who likes the C700 sound signature but found the treble too fatiguing.

In my opinion, using these with the Sony A808, the only differences sonically are the treble detail (slightly softer with the C551s), bass impact is heavier, and the soundstage - which is a tiny bit smaller. Because the treble detail is quite a bit softer/less detailed, it does make the bass appear louder compared to the C700s. In fact, cnet said in its review of the C700 that most of the work had gone into achieving the 'crystalline' high end detail, and it's very easy to spot the difference.

Cosmetically, I prefer the C700s even though they are bigger. The housing tapers off towards the end making them look 'shapely' - but the C551s look like Denon were about to make the housing the same - and then decided to chop them off in the middle, leaving them short and fat.

Don't get me started on the cable. One of the editorial reviews claimed it was tangle free, and it's not. It's a lot thinner than the C700, but still seems sturdy enough, unlike various stock Sony headphones that stretch like a piece of liquorice!!

On the train, I'd find the shorter cable of the C551 easier to control as I wear the A808 round my neck so the cable is almost exactly the right length (so I don't need the extension cable). At home I don't need to 'wear' the 808 so cable length isn't an issue at all with the C700s.

Fit wise, I found it quite hard to get a good fit. I can't wear them over the ears at all as I can't get them to stay in that way. They're fine to wear straight down, but I can wear the C700s either way, and it's nice to have the option.

Overall, I think both sets of headphones offer really good value for money. With the C700 currently priced at $99, (same as the C551) - it's well worth picking up them up, especially if you like lots of treble detail and a 'magic' tangle-free cable. Otherwise, the C551 is a great alternative for anyone who finds excess treble too fatiguing.

If my C700s broke, I would be more than happy to use the C551s as their replacement. I happen to prefer the C700 for the cable and the slightly bigger soundstage, but when I'm listening to the C551s, I tend to forget about the C700s to a certain extent. It's very easy to get 'lost' in the C551s as they are also very musical and a lot of fun. It's only when I go back to the C700s that I realise I definitely prefer them. They have a warmer fuller sound which is a sound my ears happen to prefer. But that's not slating the C551s at all, it is a very very good headphone and I really can't see anyone being disappointed with them.

The C551s cost about the same as the Sony EX90 and the Sennheiser CX500 and I think they sound a whole lot better than either of them. I've tested my b/f's CX500 and the bass impact is very weak compared to either of the Denons, which was a surprise as I expected a lot of bass from the Senns. Denon do bass very very well in both sets of headphones, as I said, I'm more than happy with both of them. But the C700s remain my favourite with the C551 in firm second place
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
The comparison to the E4G's isn't even funny, the denons offer so much more of everything, more detail, more dynamics, more bass...

I totally agree!

EDIT: I definitely prefer the treble on the C700s, it's much more sparkling. That is the most noticeable difference between the two.

ANOTHER EDIT: I really really like the C551 bass. The softer treble is more than made up for by the great bass. But while it seems to have more impact than the C700, it does become intrusive (for my own ears) and I actually prefer the more evenly balanced presentation of the 700s, especially for longer listening bouts. One other thing I noticed was the very slight 'ringing' in my ears after using the C551. I don't get any at all with the C700s, the only difference I can think is that the very upfront vocals seem closer to the head with the C551s - maybe that's what causing it? Even so, i love them both and if I had 4 ears - or gorilla ears, I would definitely wear both!

Dec 23, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #637 of 1,418
Thanks for the impressions of the 551 Soozieq. I think I'll stay with the 700's; I need the extra cable (I put the past where the cables come together in my collar at the backside, that way no microphonics and when I get them out they dangle on my shoulders like j-cord earbuds) and I'm getting completely used to the 700s treble.
But I'm already contemplating getting a spare pair, especially now that they are rather affordable at amazon...OTOH, who knows, perhaps even better things lie ahead of us?

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #639 of 1,418
AFAIK yes. Incredible value for money IMO.

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #640 of 1,418
Oh dear these sound just up my alley, my shures (e500) cable broke again
frown.gif
I have a pair of senn cx 300's , but they sound like well
redface.gif
. Anyway what struck me reading this thread is I have a sony a818 (seems like a good match for the denons) and I love treble that sparkles. I was thinking of yuin pk2, but I don't know if I could handle a bud after all this time with canal phones.

I guess my main question is am I going to be losing that much detail with these compared to my shures? I realise the shures are more $$ and I probably will loose some, but as long as it's a big step up from the stock sony canalphones that came with the a818, (I am using those right now)- I will be happy. I find the stock sony phones to sound better than my cx300's
biggrin.gif

Any imput would be appriciated, I guess I could get custom cables for the shures, but the denon is such a good deal right now. One thing I don't regret is my a818, I don't think I've been so happy with a purchase for a long time!

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #641 of 1,418
Quote:

Ihatepopupads One thing I don't regret is my a818, I don't think I've been so happy with a purchase for a long time!-

I had the Shure E500 (twice) with the Sony A808 and I think the Denons are a much better match. The overall sound is more fun and involving, and the treble is to die for (if you're a treble lover!). I MUCH prefer the treble on the Denons, so 'twinkly'
smily_headphones1.gif

Plus at lower volumes they still sound fantastic, whereas I found the E500s very average at lower volumes. As I don't always need louder volume, I found the Denons to be more versatile.

I know the E500s are a well-regarded headphone, and I've no doubt they sound great with different sources, but they definitely sounded only 'OK' with the Sony. I was quite disappointed with the combination, but the Denons + Sony = brilliance. They just go together. Your Sony will sound even better, hard to believe, but true. And if you buy them, there will be 3 of us in 'this' world who have exactly the same set up
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #642 of 1,418
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Shure E500 (twice) with the Sony A808 and I think the Denons are a much better match. The overall sound is more fun and involving, and the treble is to die for (if you're a treble lover!). I MUCH prefer the treble on the Denons, so 'twinkly'
smily_headphones1.gif

Plus at lower volumes they still sound fantastic, whereas I found the E500s very average at lower volumes. As I don't always need louder volume, I found the Denons to be more versatile.

I know the E500s are a well-regarded headphone, and I've no doubt they sound great with different sources, but they definitely sounded only 'OK' with the Sony. I was quite disappointed with the combination, but the Denons + Sony = brilliance. They just go together. Your Sony will sound even better, hard to believe, but true. And if you buy them, there will be 3 of us in 'this' world who have exactly the same set up
smily_headphones1.gif

Sold! LOL, I really think shure could have made the e500s better, for 400.00 + you think they would be the s**t in build quality. Mine have broken 3 times in about 6 months ( shure keeps sending me a brand new pair)
biggrin.gif
. Twice the cables cracked because the plastic which is kind of stiff- cheap seems to get weak after repeated bending. Also the stem broke off the housing, when I was trying to change a tip. Also these things tangle alot. The e500s sound better amped, they don't sound that great on my ipod nano- classic either (not enough treble extension?), but when I had a tomahawk ( should of never sold it
very_evil_smiley.gif
)) the e500s sounded awesome.

Thanks for the info!!

Dec 25, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #643 of 1,418
Im loving them more and more, and am now seriously considering buying an extra, because the thought that one day they'll break down and I won't be able to get this same mix of excellent SQ, buildquality, and ease of use makes me nervous. I can't think of any phone that can give me the same pleasure, certainly not at this price.
the combination with my Sony A808 is, as Soozieq has pointed out before, a match made in heaven. I'm gonna put my Shure E4G on sale, the Denon's are so much better I can't see myself go back ever again.

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #644 of 1,418
Nice to see how long this thread has stayed afloat - allow me to do my part.

I've been searching for some great IEM's since buying my latest Creative player, the new ZEN (16GB model). I don't consider myself an audiophile, which is to say I'm not the type to spend thousands on headphones - though it does sound like a lot of fun! No, I'm just looking for a great set of IEMs that are better than the buds that come with most players. That said, I am a musician with a lot of recording experience so I know good sound when I hear it. I also understand that everyone's ears and hearing are different.

A quick personal rundown as I think it's important to factor in where the reviewer is coming from: I'm a 46-year-old male, into all types music but mostly Rock, Pop, Folk and Alternative. I have about a thousand CD collection and am now using Napster-to-go and having a ball finding all kinds of new music. I have a signifcant case of tinnitus in both ears from a military blast in my face and a mid-range hearing loss from childhood.

I went through a bunch of IEM's and headphones all purchased locally and most returned in the under $150 range including the Shure SE110 and 210's, Creative ZEN Aurvana's, all three variations of the BOSE TriPorts, and a bunch of lesser models including the Denon AH-C351's.

I was all set to pull the trigger on a set of SE530's on ebay for around $300 - more than I wanted to spend but I couldn't find anything locally. I also considered several of the Super.fi's based on reviews here, as well as Westone's and other lauded IEM's. I was checking here one more time and saw this very long thread on the AH-C700's and was intrigued. I didn't read the whole thing but several of Soosique's highlighted ones - enough to send me to Amazon where I was pleasantly surprised to find them on sale for $99 - right in my price-point sweetspot. I made the purchase with free shipping. Got them today. (Shipping was great - they weren't supposed to get here for another 5 days - kudo's to Amazon.)

Now these are far from burned in or tested long enough for a good, thorough review, but I wanted to post my initial thoughts after listening for most of the day. First of all I have nothing new to add on the physical build - nice metal construction and a great cord material. They are also very, very, very comfortable. I didn't do well with deeper isoloation type IEM's - they bother my ears no matter what tips I used, even the Shure foamies.

I really like a lot of bass, so I was very happy to read that these are very bassy - and they definately are. I've been using a set of Philips SH9500 Turbo Bass buds ($30 at Target) while I looked for a better IEM. Don't laugh, for $30 those buds sounded better than IEM's I tested that cost much more. The bass on the Denon's is in fact very much like the Philips ones. But the highs are much clearer and more pronounced, or at least significantly so. The mids are somewhat recessed but some of that is no doubt the previously mentioned mid-range hearing loss I'm sure.

The bass on these might be too much for some people. If you like to turn up your music loud it tends to get a little flabby or muddy and drown out the mids almost completely and the highs to a lesser degree. I'm hoping that after some burn-in time they mellow out. A lot depends upon the type of music you're listening to also - if it's very bass-heavy to begin with then you might find these too much. But with songs with less or 'normal' levels of bass, especially older rock it's great. They tend to sound better in lower to mid levels.

Over all these are great IEM's at the price-point of $100. I think any more would be too much. Factor in the build quality, the great cord (man, I sure hope Denon patented this material) and the extreme comfort and I think these are winners. The closest in sound quality I tested was the Aurvana's which had an even more in-your-face high and mid with much less bass and much less comfort. For these to be even more perfect they would need just a tad less bass and a bit more mids. But these are easily the best IEM's I've tried to date.

I'd love to try some SE530's, Triple.fi's, Westone UM3's (when they come out) but don't think that will happen. I love music but let's face it, this is an mp3 player, playing 192 bit digital songs with no amp. As far I'm concerned, anything over $100 for a pair of IEM's for work and carrying around is just not in my budget. I've got two more children to put through college. Maybe if I win the lottery.

In summary, if you like a lot bass, don't need/want/like a ton of isolation, these are some great IEM's for the price.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back