Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
May 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #136 of 727

Quote:
It was Edwin who replied... I also asked, if they would use Tenor TE7022L as replacement for PCM2706 USB chip... but no answer.

What disappointed me a bit is that they probably won't make new modules for Sparrow. It's a pitty, because they introduced really good concept of upgrading their "boxes", but on the other hand, audio-gd is not planning to introduce new modules, which is simply killing the purpose it was made for.

Strange, because I don't see the need for a lot of other modules?  What did you have in mind?  He obviously will have to address the USB question, but what else?

May 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #137 of 727
Maybe I'm wrong.... (well, not maybe)

I'm new to hi-fi, but experienced with computers. And specs are quite important, when choosing between f.e. two processors. So you choose according to "objective" features. This is my problem - now I know that hi-fi stuff should be chosen according to "subjective" quality. There are many dacs that are better "on paper" compared to ADi AD1852 and Wolfson WM8740, but THD and SNR is probably not so important (f.e. PCM1792, used in Topaz, has 132dB SNR).

The question is - is Sparrow f.e. worth extra ~80USD compared to Audinst MX1? I have no idea, cos I've never had anything better than Audigy SE.... the only thing I can grab are the specs. But whith that USB chip, I think there is not much to spoil - TE7022L is widely used, even in more expensive stuff, and I think it would be a step to the right side. PCM2706 did only 16/48.

I simply have to become more experienced :frowning2:

May 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #138 of 727
Would someone review the damn thing 
tongue.gif

May 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #139 of 727

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong.... (well, not maybe)

I'm new to hi-fi, but experienced with computers. And specs are quite important, when choosing between f.e. two processors. So you choose according to "objective" features. This is my problem - now I know that hi-fi stuff should be chosen according to "subjective" quality. There are many dacs that are better "on paper" compared to ADi AD1852 and Wolfson WM8740, but THD and SNR is probably not so important (f.e. PCM1792, used in Topaz, has 132dB SNR).

The question is - is Sparrow f.e. worth extra ~80USD compared to Audinst MX1? I have no idea, cos I've never had anything better than Audigy SE.... the only thing I can grab are the specs. But whith that USB chip, I think there is not much to spoil - TE7022L is widely used, even in more expensive stuff, and I think it would be a step to the right side. PCM2706 did only 16/48.

I simply have to become more experienced :frowning2:

The are a few ways to make your decisions.  Based on paper specs is probably not in my process. You can go on reputation of the design and designer.  You can go by the design itself.  You can go by "trusting" someone who hears the way you do, and likes the sound you like, and has the "experience" to be able to review gear.  Because a lot of sound appreciation is a learned skill, the best way is to have access to a lot of gear for extended time.  That's hard for most people to do just because it's so expensive of course.

May 19, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #141 of 727

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I'm wavering between one of these or a Matrix-M for my PC.

Same, and on top of that, I can't decide if Version A is worth the extra money over Basic. Is there a sound difference (I know this a continuing controversy) or is it just for prolonged life?

May 19, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #142 of 727
I placed an order on the basic usb sparrow a few days ago, only to read minutes later on their websites that they have no more usb chips... Bummer! I sent them an e-mail to find out if they knew when they would get the missing parts. Got this reply:

Quote:
And the time we can not make sure the time,because this need to wait for the component sent the USB Modules to us,if they can not sent to us on time,that we can not make sure the time.Sorry.
As long as the Sparrow finish,we will contact with you.

Edwin

From what I can read out of that reply they have no idea at all. But since I've already payed I guess I'm just gonna have to sit back and wait patiently. :/ Hopefully they'll come up with a solution within reasonable time. What other usb chips can we perhaps expect to see as a replacement?

And I must say I find it rather peculiar that they haven't got a replacement already. The manufacturing of PCM2706 stopped last year apparently, which should have given them plenty of time to find a replacement.

May 19, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #143 of 727
When I last looked, they appeared to have some basic USB versions already built, so you might be in luck.

An alternative is to buy the non-USB and a (cheap) USB convertor. Can't comment on how good the USB conversion is in the Sparrow.

May 19, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #145 of 727
From the reply they sent me I got the impression they had no more usb versions already built in stock. I'm not really in a rush to get mine, but I'm hoping they'll find a solution soon enough. And I'd like to know what kind of replacement they'll come up with.

And I'm really hoping that if they replace the usb chip it will be with one that is Linux compatible as well. (the PCM2706 is, as far as I know)

May 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #147 of 727

Quote:
Those of you with desktops, no need for usb, just use the coaxial or optical.

Crazy*Carl,  I have been using the  Optical, also use a different toslink cable than the one supplied.  I noticed a difference switching from the stock toslink to my kimber Kable OPT1 cable.

May 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #148 of 727

Quote:
Crazy*Carl,  I have been using the  Optical, also use a different toslink cable than the one supplied.  I noticed a difference switching from the stock toslink to my kimber Kable OPT1 cable.

I am not a believer in changing cables.  $50 or $60 for a short optical cable is crazy in my eyes. Then again, most audiophile stuff to me is.  But that is fine if you see the difference
dt880smile.png

After doing some quick A/B comparisons, I can say the sparrow is better than onboard sound, something I have not heard in several DAC/Amps recommended from head-fi.

What I really notice the most from the sparrow is soundstage... so this is what it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back