Official Audio-gd Sparrow thread
Apr 27, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #46 of 727
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I'm curious about this as well.

x3
bigsmile_face.gif

I am probably getting the sparrow over the maverick to drive my incoming AKG 702. May not be the best, but i guess it will have enough juice to drive it.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #49 of 727
Fascinating. The Sparrow is a mini-FUN.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #52 of 727
Is there any real difference between the BNC and USB inputs (other than the obvious)? I'm new to the amping world and curious about the price difference between the two basic models. I'm assuming that to go from a laptop -> BNC requires some special cable that isn't readily available...

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #53 of 727
Quote:

Originally Posted by avocado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any real difference between the BNC and USB inputs (other than the obvious)? I'm new to the amping world and curious about the price difference between the two basic models. I'm assuming that to go from a laptop -> BNC requires some special cable that isn't readily available...

BNC from a Laptop would require an Express card Sound Card that did BNC or a USB to BNC adapter, and that would be kinda goofy IMO. I would avoid USB unless it were your only option. My preference would be SPDIF(optical) if you Laptop does that, then USB or Express Card Sound Card that does BNC or SPDIF out. USB Bus's on Laptops often have trouble because the Keyboard, mouse, trackpad, etc may be on the same bus. Sometimes you will notice that a HD performs much better on one USB port versus another. This is because of Port contention issues on the bus. This is well documented on MACBooks in particular.

Here's an example of an Express Card SC that does SPDIF IN/OUT

Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio Coming to Notebooks

Which Laptop?

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #54 of 727
I have an aging Macbook (2006, first generation) that will hopefully be replaced by a newer Macbook in the next year or so.

Most of what you just said flew a little bit over my head, which is worrisome...whatever happened to simple plug-and-play, haha.. I just don't to finally pick an amp just to have no clue what's going on with it.

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #55 of 727
Quote:

Originally Posted by avocado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an aging Macbook (2006, first generation) that will hopefully be replaced by a newer Macbook in the next year or so.

Most of what you just said flew a little bit over my head, which is worrisome...whatever happened to simple plug-and-play, haha.. I just don't to finally pick an amp just to have no clue what's going on with it.

Now that's Funny! I just sold one of those on Ebay yesterday! You're in Luck. Your headphone Jack doubles as Optical SPDIF out. You would need a cable like this:

For only $1.81 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Toslink to Mini M/M OD:5.0mm, Molded Type - 3ft | Toslink to Mini Plug

That type cable will hook up you Mac to the Optical Toslink port on the DAC

I'm assuming you meant MacBook Pro? The MacBook, I'm not sure.

May 7, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #60 of 727
If you just want a end game unit, then the sparrow for sure.  If you want to upgrade int he future, the FUN is better choice I would think.  Contrary to the title of this thread, I don't think the sparrow was ever designed to be portable.  All the website says about is it is "mini".  The primary purpose of it was to offer a cheaper version of the fun with the same sound but significantly reduced options.

I am going to order one soon, as I am without a DAC and AMP right now.  Someone should start up an official Head-fi sparrow thread soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back