Official 8th Annual ChiUniFi - June 21, 2014
Jun 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #317 of 522
Been tinkering with 3D-printed cups for Grados, will hopefully have cured resin and cast (brass, most likely) functional samples before the meet.

Wow very cool - I've been wondering when someone would start using 3D printing after Dan Clark. Makes sense it would be Grados, the big dynamic DIY cans!

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #318 of 522
Wow very cool - I've been wondering when someone would start using 3D printing after Dan Clark. Makes sense it would be Grados, the big dynamic DIY cans!

The Grados were the easiest to mic out and just dump into Solidworks, as they can be created in only a few actions. I'm sure based on the size that Dan uses a wire-feed printer (the grow area is substantial for large pieces like those for the Alphas), but since my last line of work was in jewelry design I'll be using a perfactory (Envisiontec Apollo). I've got some nanoceramic build material on the way, but I am 99% certain it will be resonance hell, and it may be prone to shattering in such a large size. It may, however, be useful for the gimbal blocks as a purely cosmetic thing, since the material can be dyed when in it's liquid state. The only reason I'm not sure about having them for the meet is that since I'm no longer working for that company, my stuff is secondary to jobs for customers, so I have to wait until the queue is empty (each cup will take most of the build area, making it impossible to grow anything else).

If you guys have any other ideas for pieces, let me know. Small parts are best, and can easily be investment-cast in gold/silver/brass or simply left as cured resin or ceramic (the ceramic is nice because it comes out with a perfect semi-gloss finish). If anybody lives/works in the Loop, has a machine file and a few bucks I can just direct them to the place and you can have a printed piece the next day. Of note: I make no money from this and have no intention of doing so -- don't want the administration here thinking I'm trying to start selling stuff.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #323 of 522
  Ordered a Chord Hugo yesterday, so I'll have that at the meet. 
As for the rest of the gear it will depend on what I still have remaining. I'm trying to regain some desk space (and $$$) so I put most of my gear up for sale.
I'm keeping my HD-600's with Moon Audio cable so those will be there for sure. 

Surprise, the Hugo drives the HE-500's very well so those will be coming also. The FLAC player app on my iPad does a fine job as a source so I'll bring that instead of my ancient laptop.

I'm all battery powered now but will bring my Audience aR2p power conditioner and Blue Circle PLC Thingee FX2 with X0e low frequency filter module (6 outlet) if anyone wants to try before they buy. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #326 of 522
starting to get excited.
L3000.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #328 of 522
I plan to bring an automatic headphone listener.  This is the next step in automation of listening productivity.  With it, you need not spend countless hours listening to music through your headphones.. you simply set your headphones on this device and it listens, uncomplaining, indefatigable, and without need for breaks, for any length of time.  You then can go about your business, doing laundry, shopping, or whatever.

I am sure you are excited and want to know... "How Much Does This Automatic Headphone Listener Cost?"  Since this is a preproduction prototype, I shall be willing to trade it for a like-new Sennheiser HD800 headphone and HDVD 800 amp.  Be the first on your block to have one of these!

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #329 of 522
That is awesome news. If love to listen to the PM-1. And if the PM-2 is voiced the same Way using less premium materials, I may be all in. I've been watching the PM-2, it may yet replace my T1.

Sounds like they won't have the PM-2 at the show, which stinks, but that makes sense since they still want to sell the PM-1 first.

If Oppo will be bringing their own amps i will reconsider bringing mine, although people may want to try phones other than the PM-1s on it.  Any idea if they are open to people trying out various cans on their amps?

Ishcabible is listed as bringing the PM2 headphone - is that a pre-release model or a typo?  Been wanting to try those.

And I will bring Alpha Dogs if no one else here already is.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #330 of 522
  Aaaaaanyway. So does anyone know of a better way to transport DACs and Amps than to use the packing styrofoam and put them in a suitcase? I'm trying to figure out how to transport my LD MKVI+ and NFB10ES2 from the sleepover to the meet.

Kojaku

These work well for anything short of a rack size amplifier. Essentially a smaller suitcase & sytrofoam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back