Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread - July 16, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #121 of 197
  in the members set up area, there was an HE-6 plugged in to an Eddie Current amp which sounded amazing!

The amp was maxed out for sure due to the HE-6 (in)efficiency, but man, do they sing.

also interesting to see that the cans were naked (no grille, no inner lining), but it totally works! To those who have seen it, were those Brainwavz angled or Audeze non-leather pads?

I really hope you are talking about maxing the ZDS (it was the eddie current with tubes).  If you were indeed talking about the maxing the BW man I feel bad because there is no way you just didn't kill your ears (we are talking 90db+ listening levels).

They were @ohhgourami modded by the master himself with Audeze non-leather pads (great for the summer).

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #124 of 197
Wow wow had lots of fun! Been nearly 2 years since coming to San Francisco but I really enjoyed myself.

Got in Thursday night from LA came just in time for the Audio Vision event to hear the Mr Speakers Flow open and closed back. Loved the ether plenty in the past and the past weekend I was able to A-B the Ether and to the Flow. The Flow was just very impressive upgrade to the Ether! Thursday night was the first time I got to hear Flow closed back and in the past I really thought the Ether open and closed were close but the Flow open back was clearly my favorite now! It is just so clean, resolute, and natural sounding. Strongly recommend to the current Ether owners to grab the upgrade to the Flow when that option is available! Also was a shame to hear that the Ether e-stat wasn't working properly for this meet. Been hearing the prototypes for the past months and have been really impressed with it every time I heard it.

Friday I spent some time at the Wikia office and got the partial office tour. Real neat office and hadn't seen an office like this before with just so much pop culture items. Sat in the break area and got to talk, munch on some snacks, played a little bit of pool. Really enjoyed it! And then of course played some Pokemon Go! San Francisco was just so full of pokestops and I was catching so many different things compared to LA, was well worth the trip just for that~

Afterwards on the roof top got to talk again and meet a lot of new faces! Grabbed a beer and talked and then made some plans to walk to the pier to catch more pokemon but diner with the Mr Speakers and Echobox folks it was a tad too late to go pokemon hunting.

Saturday I was in the Questyle room most of the day working there to help people out. The whole meet I didn't get much of a chance to step out and hear new things but did hear a few real neat things in our room. Friend over from Cavalli brought over the AKG K1000 and let us have attendees give it a listen and we had it for I think half the meet. What a wonderful vintage headphone it was and most certainly popular! When I finally got a chance to hear it from the CMA600I I really enjoyed it! It was a certain special headphone that is unfortunate is out of production now and AKG doesn't look like they have plans to make a sequel to it. Opening it outwards was real neat to hear the soundstage change but really cranked up the volume when I did. And noticed more than a few time them bleeding out like no other headphone when they were opened up to their widest point. Certainly a speaker headphone!

Otherwise real great friend Moe brought a bunch of his personal collection of cans and let others hear the Campfire Andromeda, Hifiman He-350, Fostex TH-X00 and the Purpleheart and Ebony, and a whole lot more! His side of the table was real popular to the point where I pulled out more chairs so people could sit along the walls to listen.

The meet went great, got to meet lots of new people but at the same time see a few new familiar faces! 

Personally want say thanks to the head-fi crew who helped to put on the event and other head-fi events. Thanks Ethan and thanks to the folks from wikia like Steph!
Thanks to Music Lovers for helping us out in the room and Bruce for the chance to work the room!
Thanks to Mr Speakers, to Dan and Peter for bringing out the new Flow.
Thanks to Cavali and everybody there for being great friends!
Thanks personally to moedawg for giving me a ride up to SF! Also to Muinarc for putting up with all my shenanigans and helping out the room!
Thanks to the Kimber Kables guys for hanging out with us when we went pokemon hunting!
And thanks to everyone who came to our room, really enjoyed myself and hope I can come to more events in the future~

I didn't know there was anything happening prior to Saturday, not that I could have made it but I'll ask next year for sure! I had a great time. I hit all the rooms and the HiFiMan HE -1000, Edition X made an impression for sure. Loved the Woo Audio Amps and of course the Questyle room where I got to audition the Audeze Sine! It's always great hanging out with your fellow Audiofiles and I plan to do it again next year!

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #125 of 197
  Wow wow had lots of fun! Been nearly 2 years since coming to San Francisco but I really enjoyed myself.

Got in Thursday night from LA came just in time for the Audio Vision event to hear the Mr Speakers Flow open and closed back. Loved the ether plenty in the past and the past weekend I was able to A-B the Ether and to the Flow. The Flow was just very impressive upgrade to the Ether! Thursday night was the first time I got to hear Flow closed back and in the past I really thought the Ether open and closed were close but the Flow open back was clearly my favorite now! It is just so clean, resolute, and natural sounding. Strongly recommend to the current Ether owners to grab the upgrade to the Flow when that option is available! Also was a shame to hear that the Ether e-stat wasn't working properly for this meet. Been hearing the prototypes for the past months and have been really impressed with it every time I heard it.

Friday I spent some time at the Wikia office and got the partial office tour. Real neat office and hadn't seen an office like this before with just so much pop culture items. Sat in the break area and got to talk, munch on some snacks, played a little bit of pool. Really enjoyed it! And then of course played some Pokemon Go! San Francisco was just so full of pokestops and I was catching so many different things compared to LA, was well worth the trip just for that~

Afterwards on the roof top got to talk again and meet a lot of new faces! Grabbed a beer and talked and then made some plans to walk to the pier to catch more pokemon but diner with the Mr Speakers and Echobox folks it was a tad too late to go pokemon hunting.

Saturday I was in the Questyle room most of the day working there to help people out. The whole meet I didn't get much of a chance to step out and hear new things but did hear a few real neat things in our room. Friend over from Cavalli brought over the AKG K1000 and let us have attendees give it a listen and we had it for I think half the meet. What a wonderful vintage headphone it was and most certainly popular! When I finally got a chance to hear it from the CMA600I I really enjoyed it! It was a certain special headphone that is unfortunate is out of production now and AKG doesn't look like they have plans to make a sequel to it. Opening it outwards was real neat to hear the soundstage change but really cranked up the volume when I did. And noticed more than a few time them bleeding out like no other headphone when they were opened up to their widest point. Certainly a speaker headphone!

Otherwise real great friend Moe brought a bunch of his personal collection of cans and let others hear the Campfire Andromeda, Hifiman He-350, Fostex TH-X00 and the Purpleheart and Ebony, and a whole lot more! His side of the table was real popular to the point where I pulled out more chairs so people could sit along the walls to listen.

The meet went great, got to meet lots of new people but at the same time see a few new familiar faces! 

Personally want say thanks to the head-fi crew who helped to put on the event and other head-fi events. Thanks Ethan and thanks to the folks from wikia like Steph!
Thanks to Music Lovers for helping us out in the room and Bruce for the chance to work the room!
Thanks to Mr Speakers, to Dan and Peter for bringing out the new Flow.
Thanks to Cavali and everybody there for being great friends!
Thanks personally to moedawg for giving me a ride up to SF! Also to Muinarc for putting up with all my shenanigans and helping out the room!
Thanks to the Kimber Kables guys for hanging out with us when we went pokemon hunting!
And thanks to everyone who came to our room, really enjoyed myself and hope I can come to more events in the future~

My amazing most fabulous air shot. Never forget.

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #126 of 197
Has anyone received their THX headset analysis graph in email yet? I haven't and I'd like to send it to the mfg. I think they'd be interested to see it. I could be wrong though. It's possible he accidentally put the wrong email address in their system. In that case, it will never get to me. Great show! I loved the HE-1000 and Edition X. Also the Audeze Sines were good. May have to save up for a pair! And I'm now using Tidal!

Yes, I received mine and others as well. Send @pfzar a PM. He indicated, in a previous post, there may have been issues with your email address.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #127 of 197
Has anyone received their THX headset analysis graph in email yet? I haven't and I'd like to send it to the mfg. I think they'd be interested to see it. I could be wrong though. It's possible he accidentally put the wrong email address in their system. In that case, it will never get to me. Great show! I loved the HE-1000 and Edition X. Also the Audeze Sines were good. May have to save up for a pair! And I'm now using Tidal!

Yes. And I posted it on page 7. Good luck.

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #129 of 197
My pleasure to share that honor with @jazzfan .

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #130 of 197
From the impressions here, so the Utopia is clean, airy, realness, wild sound stage, precise fast and good at highs extension? It seems it's to my taste! But most comments on it's price are saying not worth 4K...hmmmmmm...
It will be really nice if any one post the comparison between Utopia and AKG K1000, as the AKG K1000 are also there. Exciting!

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #131 of 197
Looks as though everybody that did make it enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, it don't looks as though I can purchase even the bang-for-the-buck winner at the Wikia meet-up for the foreseeable future; business has tanked and personal funds were needed for mission-critical expendables.  Had to leave the emergency meeting in the City just after noon, on top of that, as there were calls to field.
angry_face.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #133 of 197
  From the impressions here, so the Utopia is clean, airy, realness, wild sound stage, precise fast and good at highs extension? It seems it's to my taste! But most comments on it's price are saying not worth 4K...hmmmmmm...
It will be really nice if any one post the comparison between Utopia and AKG K1000, as the AKG K1000 are also there. Exciting!

I am not sure that "realness", and "clean" are the most prominent attributes of the Utopia. To my ears it lacks ultimate transparency. I must have listened to the Utopia for over one hour on Saturday. Still, every time I switched back to the Utopia I would be impressed - but  distracted - by its beautiful sound signature. If transparency is what you are after the Elear or the open Ether Flow (to mention two headphones I spent some time with on Saturday) may be better choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back