Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet Impressions Thread - July 16, 2016
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #91 of 197
What did they use for output impedance on this one since there is no selector switch? Or is there a switch hidden from view on this chassis?

Original ZD didn't have output impedance switch if i remember correctly.  I'll have to verify.

Correct, which is why this isn't recognizable as a ZDS. So if it's got some ZDS pieces and parts, then it most likely has the higher impedance output only, best matched for Senn.

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #92 of 197
Measurements have been sent out.  If anyone has a questions email me back or post in here.

I keep getting a failed message to sellburn.  please message me.  

thanks

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #93 of 197
Thanks 3rd eye and team for organizing this great event. I was super late but got try all gear I am here for. 

Special thanks for Moe for sharing his Campfire Andromeda. I finally hear what all the buzz about being the best of best IEM some have ever heard. Well, I finally heard it and man I would say.. this is one heck of an IEM. I am very impressed by it. It certainly is at the very top of IEM league. I immediately fell in love with the sound stage, If HD800 has the best sound stage for headphone, then the Campfire Andromeda did the same for IEM. It as wide and and 3D' ness as Layla. Love every aspect of the sound esp the treble. Someone commented that the K10 IEM is brighter, I actually think the K10 CIEM is way warmer than Campfire Andromeda. The clarity is impressive but yet not piercing bright. K10 is a warm CIEM, by that the Campfire Andromeda has a better treble presence and this is exactly the right amount of treble that I always hope the K10 would have.

I do wish I brought the comply foam with me to test it. I do find the K10 bass way more powerful than Campfire Andromeda. I think this is due to the silicon tip (contributing to the high as well). The K10 mid bass is actually too strong and the Campfire Andromeda is just the right amount. Both have very good sub-bass. Ok the fit is not really good, but good enough to stay on and certainly better that the 1plus2

I am very close to buying one but need to find the right time. 

Thanks Moe for letting me play around with it, you are the best!

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #94 of 197

Amplification

As an HE-6 owner, the two amps that stood out for me were the Woo Audio WA22-SE and the Wells Audio HeadTrip, both drove the HE-6 very well, however, both are also stratospherically priced ($5k and up). Wells Audio was also showing another more affordable amp prototype priced around $1200 (Wells Audio can correct me if I stated the price incorrectly) that seemed to adequately drive the HE-6 as well. I don't recall when the amp will be ready for production.

You are probably talking about the Wells Audio Milo. I listened to it a Canjam SoCal and for the price ($1,499) is a great option for difficult to drive headphones without breaking the wallet.

I just got a custom Enigma (it has upgrades almost to the level of the HeadTrip) and I am loving it!

Thank you for the correction. I'll update my original post with the new information, and I'll send you a PM to get your thoughts on the Enigma.

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #95 of 197

Looking forward to the measurements, thanks in advance for posting them!

Just out of curiosity, what are your impressions between the Ebony and the  D7000?  Did you like one more than the other, and if you did why?  

This just came in. Thanks to Patrick.

Impressions are pretty much as seen below. I found the Ebony to be a good, revealing and fast headphone. It's fairly neutral.
I prefer the slightly V shape of the Denon. The slightly elevated highs between 4k & 8k bring out a lot of detail in that upper mid-lower high zone that help place instruments in space and add to the solid edge of percussives.
Another preference for me is the more robust bass punch and extension of the Denon. It packs a wallop without being boomy or taking away from the mids.
Realize that most of my music is acoustic. Classical, jazz, bluegrass... etc. So There is no throbbing bass or synthetic highs to get excessive in most of the things I listen to.

Cheers

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #96 of 197
  Measurements have been sent out.  If anyone has a questions email me back or post in here.

I keep getting a failed message to sellburn.  please message me.  

thanks

Thanks again... see above!

Cheers

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #97 of 197
Thanks to everyone who came and made this a fantastic headphone event, in many ways it reminded me of some of the best Bay Area headphone meets of the previous decade.  We were excited to provide everyone the chance to directly compare four of the very best TOTL headphones, in what was one of the quietest listening areas of any meet in recent memory.

Apologies to those who experienced crackling or distortion on the MrSpeakers Ether Electrostats on our system. After a few reports of this, I did pull the headphones, and Dan and Peter are aware of the issues that came up. I would caution anyone who has listened to these headphones thus far, not to form too solid of an opinion, as they are still work-in-progress prototypes. Given MrSpeakers track record of amazing products, I personally have no doubt that the Ether Electrostat will be an oustanding headphone when they are finished and hit the market.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 18, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #98 of 197
Please could you elaborate why you prefer CDM than WA8 with the Utopia.  I remember testing the WA8 with my HE-X and liked it a lot !
thanks
Hi,
This is just hearing impression only.
My song is Daft Punk: Contact & Giorgio by Moroder.
DAP used is qp1r.
WA8= Utopia/Elear : both have great energy. Bass is outstanding. Fast attack. Mid is amazing good and airy extension.
CDM= Surprisingly the sound just lift a some kind of layer I believe to be from too much tube sound. I enjoy more from the same songs because it opened more Soundstage and refreshing.
Well, Jack asked me what do I think? I told him that I like my CDM more because WA8 has a little too much tubey sound and CDM just open more refreshing presentation of the music. This is how interpretation of my hearing, so you have to take it like grain of salt. Like someone said all will hear and express it differently.
All I know is I don't to upgrade beyond CDM. It's definitely a keeper for a long time.

Happy listening and do enjoy your music.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #99 of 197
Please could you elaborate why you prefer CDM than WA8 with the Utopia.  I remember testing the WA8 with my HE-X and liked it a lot !
thanks
Hi,
This is just hearing impression only.
My song is Daft Punk: Contact & Giorgio by Moroder.
DAP used is qp1r.
WA8= Utopia/Elear : both have great energy. Bass is outstanding. Fast attack. Mid is amazing good and airy extension.
CDM= Surprisingly the sound just lift a some kind of layer I believe to be from too much tube sound. I enjoy more from the same songs because it opened more Soundstage and refreshing.
Well, Jack asked me what do I think? I told him that I like my CDM more because WA8 has a little too much tubey sound and CDM just open more refreshing presentation of the music. This is how interpretation of my hearing, so you have to take it like grain of salt. Like someone said all will hear and express it differently.
All I know is I don't to upgrade beyond CDM. It's definitely a keeper for a long time.

Happy listening and do enjoy your music.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #100 of 197
  Thanks to everyone who came and made this a fantastic headphone event, in many ways it reminded me of some of the best Bay Area headphone meets of the previous decade.  We were excited to provide everyone the chance to directly compare four of the very best TOTL headphones, in what was one of the quietest listening areas of any meet in recent memory.

Apologies to those who experienced crackling or distortion on the MrSpeakers Ether Electrostats on our system. After a few reports of this, I did pull the headphones, and Dan and Peter are aware of the issues that came up. I would caution anyone who has listened to these headphones thus far, not to form too solid of an opinion, as they are still work-in-progress prototypes. Given MrSpeakers track record of amazing products, I personally have no doubt that the Ether Electrostat will be an oustanding headphone when they are finished and hit the market.

That explains why I couldn't find the Ether Electrostats..!

I had actually forgotten about them for the most part while auditioning the heaps of Focal Elears/Utopias and Ether Flows. Although after hearing the Ether C Flow I'd need to be really impressed with the Ether Electrostat to even give it consideration. The Ether Flow pricing is already high enough that I could never admit to my friends and family how much I spent on a pair of headphones, should I actually buy them.

With that I'll say it was a fun day, and I enjoyed listening to the variety of headphones and made a couple friends. Definite highlight was the Ether Flow C, compared directly to the Ether C on the liquid crimson, in the member section. To my ears, there was no comparison, the Ether Flow C had a much fuller sound through the spectrum and I thought actually had the same clarity in the treble as the Ether C, you just focus less on it because there's more bass to enjoy. For a closed headphone it's got a great sound signature, remains neutral and is astoundingly comfortable. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #101 of 197
You are probably talking about the Wells Audio Milo. I listened to it a Canjam SoCal and for the price ($1,499) is a great option for difficult to drive headphones without breaking the wallet.

I just got a custom Enigma (it has upgrades almost to the level of the HeadTrip) and I am loving it!

Jealous! I love the Enigma. If you ever get the opportunity you must try it with the ZMF Omni (particularly the bocote Omni!). It is just one of those magical synergies.

Jul 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #103 of 197
I've fixed my post about the Zana Deux. Apologies for that.

I can't believe I forgot to try the DIY 'stats. I saw them and thought I should come back and listen then forgot.

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #104 of 197
Wow wow had lots of fun! Been nearly 2 years since coming to San Francisco but I really enjoyed myself.

Got in Thursday night from LA came just in time for the Audio Vision event to hear the Mr Speakers Flow open and closed back. Loved the ether plenty in the past and the past weekend I was able to A-B the Ether and to the Flow. The Flow was just very impressive upgrade to the Ether! Thursday night was the first time I got to hear Flow closed back and in the past I really thought the Ether open and closed were close but the Flow open back was clearly my favorite now! It is just so clean, resolute, and natural sounding. Strongly recommend to the current Ether owners to grab the upgrade to the Flow when that option is available! Also was a shame to hear that the Ether e-stat wasn't working properly for this meet. Been hearing the prototypes for the past months and have been really impressed with it every time I heard it.

Friday I spent some time at the Wikia office and got the partial office tour. Real neat office and hadn't seen an office like this before with just so much pop culture items. Sat in the break area and got to talk, munch on some snacks, played a little bit of pool. Really enjoyed it! And then of course played some Pokemon Go! San Francisco was just so full of pokestops and I was catching so many different things compared to LA, was well worth the trip just for that~

Afterwards on the roof top got to talk again and meet a lot of new faces! Grabbed a beer and talked and then made some plans to walk to the pier to catch more pokemon but diner with the Mr Speakers and Echobox folks it was a tad too late to go pokemon hunting.

Saturday I was in the Questyle room most of the day working there to help people out. The whole meet I didn't get much of a chance to step out and hear new things but did hear a few real neat things in our room. Friend over from Cavalli brought over the AKG K1000 and let us have attendees give it a listen and we had it for I think half the meet. What a wonderful vintage headphone it was and most certainly popular! When I finally got a chance to hear it from the CMA600I I really enjoyed it! It was a certain special headphone that is unfortunate is out of production now and AKG doesn't look like they have plans to make a sequel to it. Opening it outwards was real neat to hear the soundstage change but really cranked up the volume when I did. And noticed more than a few time them bleeding out like no other headphone when they were opened up to their widest point. Certainly a speaker headphone!

Otherwise real great friend Moe brought a bunch of his personal collection of cans and let others hear the Campfire Andromeda, Hifiman He-350, Fostex TH-X00 and the Purpleheart and Ebony, and a whole lot more! His side of the table was real popular to the point where I pulled out more chairs so people could sit along the walls to listen.

The meet went great, got to meet lots of new people but at the same time see a few new familiar faces! 

Personally want say thanks to the head-fi crew who helped to put on the event and other head-fi events. Thanks Ethan and thanks to the folks from wikia like Steph!
Thanks to Music Lovers for helping us out in the room and Bruce for the chance to work the room!
Thanks to Mr Speakers, to Dan and Peter for bringing out the new Flow.
Thanks to Cavali and everybody there for being great friends!
Thanks personally to moedawg for giving me a ride up to SF! Also to Muinarc for putting up with all my shenanigans and helping out the room!
Thanks to the Kimber Kables guys for hanging out with us when we went pokemon hunting!
And thanks to everyone who came to our room, really enjoyed myself and hope I can come to more events in the future~

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jul 18, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #105 of 197

The AmpsandSound Mogwai can drive the HE-6 with ease. Have more than a few customers using that combination. 

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back