Official 2014 SoCal Head-Fi Meet, March 22, 2014, Westin South Coast Plaza
Mar 16, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #586 of 733
  Just realized this meet was in my backyard, registered! It's going to be my first meet, looking forward to it! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Question, it seems like reading through the thread that there's almost too much gear! Will there still be space to set stuff down? I'd like to bring my Stax SR-202s, an eXStatA, and a gamma2, along with some proof-of-concept hardware for an FPGA-based FLAC player that I've been working on. I can't wait to see all of the gear out there, sounds amazing.

Welcome! Table space is full at the moment but if there are any last minute cancellations I will let you know!

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #587 of 733

Welcome! Table space is full at the moment but if there are any last minute cancellations I will let you know!

Hey everyone! I'm also coming along to the meet. When I registered, I wasn't sure what I'd be able to bring,  but now I'd also like to join the queue for 1/2 a table. Hoping to at a minimum bring along my Emotiva A-100 and hifiman HE-500 so people can hear that combo. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #588 of 733
Will my half table be given away if I'm late? 9am is a little early for me on a Saturday that far from home.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #589 of 733
Looking forward to the meet and hopefully trying out a few full size planar headphones. I will probably bring my Noble Audio K10s, Leckerton UHA-6S MkII, Centrance HiFi M8, and AKG K550 headphones.

Mar 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #591 of 733
Hey all,

LONG TIME lurker here! Awesome forum, so I finally decided to register due to this upcoming (local to me) SoCal meet. :) Unfortunately, I've just learned that I've been booked on an out-of-town advertising shoot (I'm a professional photographer :rolleyes: ) so I will not be able to attend. :frowning2:

I was REALLY looking forward to demoing the Chord Hugo & Centrance HiiFi M8 XL4, along with heaps of other gear. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until the next GTG. Whenever that GTG happens, I would be happy to offer my modest gear up for demo at the meet. Currently:

2014 Audio-gd NFB-28 with TCXO upgrades
Beyerdynamic T1 (balanced 4-pin XR, with adapter to 1/4" TRS S-E).
Beyerdynamic DT-880, 250-Ohm (S-E)
Grado PS500 & SR125 (S-E)

Like most of us, I've got heaps of Hi-Res downloads and rip'd SACDs, DVD-As, Redbook CDs that I like to demo new gear with, and also just enjoy listening to as well, but I've recently come across a new "reference" disc that I was very much looking forward to listening to with the Hugo & HiFi M8 with T1s. Since I will not be able to do this, I hope a few of you can do it for me! :p Since this is my first post I guess my links or photos won't work so I'll try to improvise.

Here's the info on this Redbook CD:

"The Steph Johnson Trio - Nature Girl".

To purchase a physical CD, go to her web site at w w w DOT StephJohnsonBand DOT c o m (you must use a "desktop browser" (not a mobile browser) in order for the links to show up. Please check out the YouTube video on her web site's home for a track off of the CD, or search YT for "Who is Steph Johnson?"

To receive the physical CD, you will need to use the "DONATE" button near the top right of the home page (or download files from the CDbaby & iTunes links by the small thumbnail of Steph's "Nature Girl" album cover). Cover image is at H T T P...

sandiegotroubadour.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/steph-johnson-240x240 DOT j p g

You will need to Donate $20 (USD) to get the physical CD (this pays for the CD & shipping). Steph self-produced this CD, so that's how much it is just for her to cover her costs and to afford to buy a coffee. Read about it and find the other Pay Pal "DONATE" link by Clicking on the "NEWS" tab at the top of the web site, then read the section titled, "HELP STEPH RELEASE HER 3RD ALBUM!".

The CD comes in a very nicely/professionally printed CD holder/jacket with liner notes etc. It's not just a "burned CD-R" disc in a generic clear plastic case! Steph sends it to you directly, too! For reference, I own thousands of CDs, (and of course many more downloads) and I can sincerely say that this is one of my absolute Top Ten Favorites, so be assured, this CD is WELL WORTH the $20. And IMO, this isn't one of those CDs with just one or two outstanding tracks where the rest are just mediocre "filler". Every track is a gem here.

As a side note for further reference, I am a former drummer and saxophonist of 15 years, and the production quality and sound quality of this CD are amazing! Again, like most of us here, I own A LOT of Hi-Res downloads from HDtracks, SoundLiason, Qobuz, and discs from MFSL/FIM/Chesky/Mappleshade/Telarc/ECM/DECCA/Naxos, etc. With this CD, Steph and the band are "in the room with you" (if you have a top-notch playback system). So please demo this for me!!!

If you enjoy female jazz vocals similar to Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Cassandra Wilson, Ella Fitzgerald, etc, I urge you to give this CD a listen...and even if you don't love this genre, it is a true reference/demo disc IMHO. And if you end up enjoying her music and the SQ of this disc, PLEASE, PLEASE share it with anyone and everyone who you think might be interested! I honesty feel that Steph and the Trio are amazingly talented, and I would like to help another "unknown" artist "get the word out". The music business is a TOUGH gig. Also, if you are local to San Diego, CA (or even Los Angeles) Steph has several live performances each month. Here is one of the tracks from the "Nature Girl" CD if the link works...

[video=youtube;SezDYSKOqsU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SezDYSKOqsU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

I have several purchased copies of this CD (I bought extras to have as gifts), so if needed, I might be able to FedEx one to OK-Guy, Jude, warrenpchi, or another "exhibitor" at the hotel/event. Let me know... bbfoto AT hotmail DOT com (mods please delete if necessary).

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the long post from the noob! I'm really bummed to miss this major event. :frowning2:

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #594 of 733
If anyone is interested I'll have Sennheiser headphones with the new Limitear HDM (Hearing Dose Management) system with me. Although not displaying I'd be happy to anyone to try it.
http://www.audioprointernational.com/new-gear/read/sennheiser-solutions-hdm-pro-technology-now-available/06848

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #597 of 733
  VERY EXCITED! It looks like we will be getting the brand new Grace Design m920 to introduce at the meet! I'm a big fan (and owner) of the Grace m903 so this is REALLY COOL!!!

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m920/m920.htm

That's awesome, always wanted a Grace m9xx unit but never could justify the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back