Official 2014 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 19, 2014, DoubleTree San Francisco Airport
Apr 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #91 of 521
I'm already listed in this thread, but I wanted to add that if I'm able to attend, (which is likely), then I'll be bringing a Geek Out 720.

On a related note, how long will online registration be available?

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #92 of 521
Greetings Guys,

I was sooo bummed I couldn't make the South Bay show - I'm Makin' this one! 

As previously planned, I'll be bringin' my ABC kit (Awesome But Cheap) for beginners - Pioneer SE-A1000s, Sony MDR-V6s, and my latest find, Howard Leight Sync Earmuffs, with my poor man's FLAC player and JDS CmoyBB v2.03  Somebody's got to uphold the honor of the Low End!  :wink:

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #93 of 521
Apr 30, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #94 of 521
  Pioneer SE-A1000

Lol... 
wink.gif
  Which mods (if any) have you done?

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #95 of 521
Hah!  None - My SE-A1000s are as pristine as a baby's bottom (translation: I was afraid to mess around with 'em...  :wink:  )  Besides, they sound so good, I can't say I've felt the need to modify 'em.  they even have the factory strap settings, so folks can see how floppy the original configuration is on non-ginormous melons like mine...

Another cool story - my brand New MDR-V6's were a gift... from the original drummer for Green Day! They are his headphone of choice, so he bought me a pair when I told him I was getting in to quality cans...  you'll have to make a point of listening to "1039 Smooth" with those!

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #96 of 521
  Hah!  None - My SE-A1000s are as pristine as a baby's bottom (translation: I was afraid to mess around with 'em...  :wink:  )  Besides, they sound so good, I can't say I've felt the need to modify 'em.  they even have the factory strap settings, so folks can see how floppy the original configuration is on non-ginormous melons like mine...

Another cool story - my brand New MDR-V6's were a gift... from the original drummer for Green Day! They are his headphone of choice, so he bought me a pair when I told him I was getting in to quality cans...  you'll have to make a point of listening to "1039 Smooth" with those!

Wow, a virgin SE-A1000!  I had to do the headband mod because the thing kept falling off... just couldn't stand it anymore.  I wish they would release a successor with some of the distortion issues fixed as it has potential.  Oh, and before you get all big-headed, just know that size isn't everything. 
biggrin.gif
  Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

The MDR-V6 holds a special place in many hearts around these parts.  Jude still likes them, and HiFiGuy528 is balls ass crazy to have 4 unopened pairs collected.  I haven't really heard them, so I should give them a try one of these days.  Still, so many good cans these days, how will I find the time? 
frown.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #97 of 521

HiFiGuy528 is balls ass crazy to have 4 unopened pairs collected.

Please remind me to ask him about that at the next meet...

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #98 of 521
Apr 30, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #100 of 521
Apr 30, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #101 of 521

Wow, a virgin SE-A1000!   I wish they would release a successor with some of the distortion issues fixed as it has potential. 

Fascinating that you mention that, as I had experienced the same thing in my listening, but yet hadn't found the words until you just wrote them - my take from my earlier review was that they simply excelled in less complicated music.. but the converse is true (not the shoe) - that under higher volumes, and more complex wave forms, the SE-A1000's signature tends to "fray at the edges" - I only noticed that more clearly upon comparison with the Sync's, which interestingly do not have the same problem. The SE-A1000's are much more lively, and even handed throughout the entire spectrum, but are much more at home with "simple music" (i.e. less than 4 instruments), and basic rendition of the human voice.... at least IMHO.

Interestingly, (don't tell Al) but the sonic signature of the MDR-V6's is my least favorite of the three cans I've got - I plan to do a deeper comparison in another thread, as they are the diametric opposites of the SE-A1000's in signature, at least to my ear - closed, narrow sound stage, bright, sharp and edgy.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #102 of 521
I think he stocked up on 7520's as well just in case they get discontinued...

That he did! 
smile.gif

Will do.  Like ask him to get in on one of them?  Or like in a psych-eval kind of way?

Number two, for sure :)

Lol, good luck getting an answer!  When I ask him why, he just smiles and looks at me funny. 
blink.gif

Fascinating that you mention that, as I had experienced the same thing in my listening, but yet hadn't found the words until you just wrote them - my take from my earlier review was that they simply excelled in less complicated music.. but the converse is true (not the shoe) - that under higher volumes, and more complex wave forms, the SE-A1000's signature tends to "fray at the edges" - I only noticed that more clearly upon comparison with the Sync's, which interestingly do not have the same problem. The SE-A1000's are much more lively, and even handed throughout the entire spectrum, but are much more at home with "simple music" (i.e. less than 4 instruments), and basic rendition of the human voice.... at least IMHO.

Yup, in complex passages, the distortion tends to cause a lot of congestion right smack dab in the mids.  I find small acoustic ensembles to be best with it... especially jazz and folk.

Interestingly, (don't tell Al) but the sonic signature of the MDR-V6's is my least favorite of the three cans I've got - I plan to do a deeper comparison in another thread, as they are the diametric opposites of the SE-A1000's in signature, at least to my ear - closed, narrow sound stage, bright, sharp and edgy.

Yeah, a closed-back studio monitor with a dry and neutralish signature?  I can see how that would be pretty different from the natural and musical SE-A1000.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #104 of 521
Hey, I will be attending as well, but not as a attendee, I'm helping out UE and CEE TEE, CEE TEE wanted to experience a meet, without having to be behind a table. So I'm taking his spot at the UE table for the meet! 
biggrin.gif
 I'm pumped!

May 1, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #105 of 521
^Me too!!  We'll both have fun...

As for HiFiGuy and hoarding some BNIB MDR-V6, I think he's holding onto them because they are a known quantity for studios.  Lots of isolation for singers/musicians while recording (and singers like the way they hear themselves with the V6 while recording).  Maybe the MDR-V6 will somehow be like Yamaha NS-10 and go up in value after being discontinued???  Anybody feel free to correct me or share their own hypothesis!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back