Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014 Impressions thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #91 of 128
Well if you are referring to the original Omega then I would place it in "brightness" if thats the right term between the Omega 007 Mk1 and the SR009
I just find it very odd that anyone could describe the Omega 007 Mk1 as having Hot Treble as its normally smooth and silky. It will expose hot and compressed recordings and the digital glare from some DAC's
As far as i'm aware the the 323S is very similar to the KGSS in more ways than you might imagine
redface.gif

Quote:
  I found the treble to be somewhat hot with my SR-Omega, which hadn't been the case with either the Liquid Silk or the humble SRM-323S.

I did not pay the closest attention to its technical merits at that range, but I hadn't heard upper response that emphasized (i.e. in quantity) since my HE60 out of the HEV70.

It was a good experience in other respects but the tonal balance didn't seem as "neutral" as I'm used to (Omega and 323S being my vantage point).

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #92 of 128
Yep the original Omega and Omega 007 MK1 need a beast of an amp like the SRM T2 or DIY T2 to make them sing at their best. But IMHO Kevin Gilmores stat amp designs are second to none.
I use mine with an original SRM-T2 so am rather spoilt 
tongue.gif

I agree with Purrin some of those DAC's to me sound rather hot digital and sterile so any headphone worth its salt will expose that ruthlessly, more so a stat. 

Quote:
  Hmm, I can see treble issues with the KGSSHV with some of those DACs (Teac, possibly Chord, but definitely not Eso) as ithe KGSSHV is not an amp that's going to take the edge off. The WES is kind of rolled and soft, but good at microdynamics. I'd say go for the T2DIY for the complete win.

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #93 of 128
I found the 007 mk1 to have hot treble. One of the main reasons I sold mine so quickly after restoring them.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #95 of 128
Complin, I didn't realize we had someone from the UK at the meet. What did you think of the liquid silk?

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #97 of 128

All the leather items were completely ratty so I replaced them bringing it to nearly new condition. The sound improved dramatically with new leathers, but the treble was too much to take in combination with how low the mids were recessed by comparison. The reason HD800s don't get me with their treble is that there is less of a difference between the treble peak and the mids trough. 007s have a little of that Grado V shape response but not nearly to the same degree.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #98 of 128
You guys would be better off discussing Stax stuff in the Stax thread and leaving this thread for impressions from the meet.

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #99 of 128
  This was definitely a wonderful meet and my first one ever. The last time I was at the California Audio Show but there wasn't much there, although the Head Phone room was quite cool. It was great to meet and hang out with everyone and listen to everyone's headphones. People were all so nice, generous and understanding.

CEETEE - Big thanks for saving me a table and organizing this thing. We should organize another one SOON in a couple of months maybe? I think once a year isn't enough... Funnily enough I saw someone I knew through mutual friends there and met someone who's in the Golden Gate Lotus Club (where I am President).

Walfredo - Thanks for being the only Audio Technica guy there with all those great big cans. I was most impressed with your W1000/W1000X and W3000ANV. Now I want a pair myself for listening to at work. They are highly underated and a lot of people don't like them, but I loved those AT's. You brought a certain flair to the event. 

Bill P - Thanks for letting me listen to your modified ES10s, they were quite fun and different. I still prefer my ES10s over all the other headphones I have combined and that's quite a statement considering... It was fun hanging out too. Post some photo's when you can!

Anedote - Thanks for letting me listen to all your wonderful STAX. My favourite headphone company. I wish I could afford a pair that I could listen to in the office without disturbing my neighbors. No closed cans can compare unfortunately.

Uzi & the guy I shared the table with - Thanks for being such accommodation neighbors. The sock trick seems to have made my Denon AH-D950's slightly more bearable, although they are too bright for my taste in general and prefer the D750's as they are less bright, but for the price ($50) they are the best value headphones out there.

The headphone I found most impressive (besides the STAX 009 which is the best headphone ever made) is the modified T5P. It was probably the most comfortable headphone I wore that day, the driver looks super futuristic, the build quality is excellent. Best of all it had amazing bass and it wasn't bright like other Beyer's (in fact it was a bit dark). It was probably the only non-bright headphone I heard that was that revealing. The T1, T70P (I had) and the T770 Pro (I have) are all way too bright for my liking... I'm thinking about trading my Edition 8s with somebody for the T5P's... I like the build and look of the Edition 8s a lot more, and they are way more portable than the T5Ps, but the T5Ps did have a better sound (although I heard they don't have much bass stock)...

I am glad I joined because people got to try some headphones at my stand that they wouldn't have been able to try. Overall on the forum I think people aren't very keen on Ultrasones in General. I've always wanted to try the Signature Pro and Signature DJ and of course the Edition 7 or Edition 9 but nobody seems to have those... I heard they are more neutral and better than the Edition 8s in some ways (although less comfy and less isolating perhaps). In some ways I became even more confused, after the event, some of the headphones that weren't that bright, are now really bright for me... Even the ES10s, but I don't like the ESW9s that much either now because even though they are warmer, they are far from neutral and lack the bass of the ES10s (which have the minimum bass I want) and have so much sibilance. 

Anyway I hope people enjoyed my collection of ESW9, ES10, Beyer T770 Pro 32ohm, Ultrasone Edition 8, and Denon AH-D950s... I couldn't sell my T770 Pro 32ohm Limited Edition at the show but if anyone is interested PM me. I would be willing to trade for the W1000 or W1000X or maybe to partial trade for some other headphones.

Thanks, baronkatz.  It was great to share the same room with you.  Looking forward to do it again.  
atsmile.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #100 of 128
  You guys would be better off discussing Stax stuff in the Stax thread and leaving this thread for impressions from the meet.

Thx Currawong. 

I was so looking forward to this meet but business came up.  I was hoping to personally meet some golden ears of HF this round.  Some of my guesses were right though...
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #102 of 128
  Any more impressions on the Light Harmonic Geek Out? I'd love to hear more thoughts on the final version.

Yes, me too. I am sad that I didn't have time to listen to it especially when everyone seems to give it such rave reviews.

Anyone more impressions?

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #103 of 128
  Yes, me too. I am sad that I didn't have time to listen to it especially when everyone seems to give it such rave reviews.

Anyone more impressions?

I think I posted about it in the Geek Pulse thread, but here's my complete thoughts on it from a very quick pass...

The models are called "Geek Out", "Geek Out M" (the "super") and "Geek Out EM" (the "super duper").  They had a "Geek Out" and a "Geek Out EM" there and both had the LCD-XC connected... I only listened to the EM.  There were the two buttons on the side which controlled volume... pressing both at the same time toggled the "3D awesomifier", which is their spin on a crossfeed filter... and basically did that, but I didn't listen to it enough to formulate an opinion on it other than notice that there was a difference.

I don't know if it was the LCD-XC or the Geek Out or the combo... but I thought things sounded decently powered and with decent clarity.  Basically, I liked what I heard from the quick listen, but that's about as much as I can tell you since I was just taking a quick spin around after setting up.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #104 of 128

Thanks, baronkatz.  It was great to share the same room with you.  Looking forward to do it again.  
atsmile.gif

Thank you. Me too! :)

Haha, now you know how it feels like to be a midrange-head.

It seems to me you are more of a basshead than a midrange-head, so perhaps you will enjoy the W1000X more.

But to me, man... after listening to that W1000, there is simply no going back. It was just so good. I swear, the next time a pair goes on sale...

Anyway, pictures incoming. I've just been busy with work and other things.

I am quite a basshead, which is why I like the ES10s, but I notice that over time I do notice the brightness and the vocals aren't as nice as on the ESW9... Which is why I have been listening to my ESW9 for slower music such as symphonic, acoustic, sometimes chillout, downtempo, etc... and I use my ES10s mostly for EDM becuase of the bass. Also the isolation is decent on the ES10s but they aren't very comfortable, the ESW9s are comfortable for SupraAurals but lack the isolation I need on BART, etc...

The W1000X was a bit bright for me after a while as well. It sounded good but did sound a bit bright with EDM I found. In that sense, my favourite closed headphone I heard that day and was most impressed with was the one guy who had the modified T5P. It was quite amazing, he said that the original is brighter and with a lot less bass, but he modified it somehow. Does anyone know who that is so I can contact him? I'm thinking of maybe trading in my Edition 8s for a pair of T5Ps if I can compare them side by side... Why is it so hard to find a headphone that's dark and revealing? Most of the headphones I wanted to try weren't there: MB Quart/German Maestro, Ultrasone Edition 7/9 - Signature Pro/DJ, Audio Technica ESW10, ESW11, A900X... Maybe someone in the area has some of these that I can listen to? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back