Official 2014 Bay Area Meet - SUNDAY - Feb 16th, 2014 Impressions thread
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #76 of 128
The mk2s are simply not as good as the mk1. Boomier in the bass and a little bit more mid-forward.

I'd prefer the mk1 with the liquid silk over the mk2. However, the silk doesn't have the treble issues of the KGSSHV so it was a great experience even with the mk2

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #79 of 128
What kinds of treble issues? Sorry for being off topic, but I'm just curious because I don't often hear many complaints about the KGSSHV

+1
popcorn.gif

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #80 of 128
Everyone! I really enjoyed this weekends meetup.  It was great to see all my DIY heroes in the same room Frankcooter, AMB, Cavalli.  I remember coming to my first meet a few years ago and it really got me into DIY.  Was great to see a few new DIYers as well!  It seems every year the gear quality keeps getting better and better.  

Sometimes the rooms would get a little loud but otherwise it was great to sample all of the gear.  I mostly came to meet with the people and get all nerdy talking about audio gear!  It was really good fun and props to all the organizers for making such a successful event.  Looking forward to next year!:)  

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #81 of 128

What kinds of treble issues? Sorry for being off topic, but I'm just curious because I don't often hear many complaints about the KGSSHV

+1
popcorn.gif

There was treble grain that ultimately made me give up the KGSSHV > SR-007 MK1 in favor of the Dynahi (and now 2A3 MKIV) > HD800.  It ruins the listening experience for me. This is from someone who owned the KGSSHV and acknowledges that it's a good deal at the BOM price if you're going to DIY or the price of $2800 WITH SR-007 MK1s that I got it for. At the current ridiculously inflated going price of $3500+ that I see, I can't recommend it.

Another data point, a meet attendee who is very familiar with the Omegas was able to hear a pair on both the KGSSHV and the Liquid Silk and immediately noticed the treble issues on the KGSSHV.

Everyone! I really enjoyed this weekends meetup.  It was great to see all my DIY heroes in the same room Frankcooter, AMB, Cavalli.  I remember coming to my first meet a few years ago and it really got me into DIY.  Was great to see a few new DIYers as well!  It seems every year the gear quality keeps getting better and better.  

Sometimes the rooms would get a little loud but otherwise it was great to sample all of the gear.  I mostly came to meet with the people and get all nerdy talking about audio gear!  It was really good fun and props to all the organizers for making such a successful event.  Looking forward to next year!:)  

Really glad you were able to make it and bring some gear :). It's a pleasure seeing the community grow and grow and to see how people's gear evolves over time!

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #82 of 128
There was treble grain that ultimately made me give up the KGSSHV > SR-007 MK1 in favor of the Dynahi (and now 2A3 MKIV) > HD800.  It ruins the listening experience for me. This is from someone who owned the KGSSHV and acknowledges that it's a good deal at the BOM price if you're going to DIY or the price of $2800 WITH SR-007 MK1s that I got it for. At the current ridiculously inflated going price of $3500+ that I see, I can't recommend it.

Another data point, a meet attendee who is very familiar with the Omegas was able to hear a pair on both the KGSSHV and the Liquid Silk and immediately noticed the treble issues on the KGSSHV.

Thank you for this, it's helpful to hear both the pros and cons of this amp.

Back on topic, I can't wait to hear more about the Liquid Silk paired with the 007Mk2!

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #83 of 128
Was there a price announced for the Silk or is it replacing the Lightning 2 at the same price?

Feb 20, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #84 of 128
There must be some other issues going on here as I have never heard of any treble issues with the KGSSHV, in fact quite the contrary. Personally I never heard a more truly neutral amplifier when constructed properly.
Its more likely to be an issue with the source or perhaps the build. Omega Mk1 and treble grain just don't compute. Most inexperienced first time listeners think they are dark until they realise its all there just not in your face like many top end headphones.

Regarding prices, you need to factor in the cost of the time someone has taken to build the unit, and its fit and finish. I believe the one you are referring to was made by a very experienced builder, totally recased and the buyer had significant shipping costs, import duty and tax no doubt. This has all added to his costs hence his asking price. 

You also need to factor in the maintainability performance, and build quality of the amplifier, as in some cases this is found wanting in commercial products.

Quote:

Really glad you were able to make it and bring some gear :). It's a pleasure seeing the community grow and grow and to see how people's gear evolves over time!

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #85 of 128

I found the treble to be somewhat hot with my SR-Omega, which hadn't been the case with either the Liquid Silk or the humble SRM-323S.

I did not pay the closest attention to its technical merits at that range, but I hadn't heard upper response that emphasized (i.e. in quantity) since my HE60 out of the HEV70.

It was a good experience in other respects but the tonal balance didn't seem as "neutral" as I'm used to (Omega and 323S being my vantage point).

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #86 of 128
It's a funny thing. Two different amps can measure 20-20k within 0.1db, have certain distortion numbers below the audibility of human hearing, and yet sound quite different. Saying any amp X is the most neutral, most transparent, most wire-with-gain, etc. That's just nonsense at worst and a relative truth at best.

There was treble grain that ultimately made me give up the KGSSHV > SR-007 MK1 in favor of the Dynahi (and now 2A3 MKIV) > HD800.  It ruins the listening experience for me. 

Have you heard the 323 or 717, and how do those compare? What sources did you use? (Want to make sure nothing SABRE or at least a bad implementation of SABRE)

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #87 of 128
Have you heard the 323 or 717, and how do those compare? What sources did you use? (Want to make sure nothing SABRE)

Points of direct comparison during ownership were the Woo WES and the 717. Sources were a Chord QB76, Benchmark DAC2 and TEAC UD-501 DACs and Esoteric K07 and Sony XA-5400ES disc players.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #88 of 128
Hmm, I can see treble issues with the KGSSHV with some of those DACs (Teac, possibly Chord, but definitely not Eso) as ithe KGSSHV is not an amp that's going to take the edge off. The WES is kind of rolled and soft, but good at microdynamics. I'd say go for the T2DIY for the complete win.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #90 of 128

Users who are viewing this thread

Back