OFFICIAL 2012 Bay Area Meet Thread (California) February 11th, Saturday
Jan 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #286 of 473
@Johnny Moondog:  Will add you to the list at the beginning of the thread.

@ac500:  We recommend you bring a CD, Jump Drive, iDevice with your reference tracks on them.  Most people will have a CD drive/USB slot/iDock to accept your music to help you.  (Also, if you get to know the Chesky Demonstration disc- many people have that for a reference too.)  I actually have folders for some of my friends with their personal reference tracks so they can easily check things out in my system...and some have mine in their systems as well.

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #287 of 473

Quote:
I'm wondering how people manage to compare anything at meets... Unless you compare the same exact track, you have no frame of reference. Is it generally just listening I guess for the sake of listening subjectively? 

Comparing the same track with different headphones is certainly do-able at the meets. In fact I typically run three or four different amps from the same source so one can compare one set of headphones on four different amps, or four different headphones on the same amp. Bring your own reference CD if you like and ask to run it in various systems. I am happy to rip a demo disc to my server and I imagine most others would be too. Bigger problem at meets is background noise. I guess there is a quiet room at this meet. Will be interesting to see how it goes. Seems like it might be difficult to ask a question in that room. Maybe there should be lots of pens and notepads in that room 
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #288 of 473
Yessir!  Will have the ability for you to pop in a CD, thumb drive, or iDevice at our table.  It's certainly not ideal conditions, but where else can you take all this gear for a test drive!

I can honestly say that I bought some gear based on my meet listening last year and while I couldn't make critical comparisons based on what I heard, it certainly let me buy gear that I was ended up thoroughly happy with.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #289 of 473
There's different sorts of listening you can do at a meet. You can bring reference files to listen on different gear. You can listen to the wonderfulness of gear that you're probably never going to buy or just check out different people's set ups. I wouldn't call it subjective, more like audio pleasure.

Last year I sent some time at horio's turntable. I'm extremely unlikely to go to the trouble of having a vinyl set up like that, but it was a great experience nonetheless.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #290 of 473
The first time I went to a meet (two years ago), I brought my D7000's, and wandered around, talking to folks and trying different amps with my D7000's, and comparing my D7000's to other headphones.  It was really helpful to have a known reference when listening to other phones.  Mine was the only pair of D7000's there, so they got a fair amount of head time from others as well.

I hope to do more of the same this year, schedule permitting.  It will be using the DT1350's this year.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #291 of 473
Please add me to the list of those interested in attending. At this rate we may hit triple digits. :)

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #292 of 473
^Will be nice to meet you, @Grahame.

Last year we did hit triple digits, but not with the list!

(If we get to 99 on the list, @aamefford is not allowed to bow out again 
tongue.gif
.)

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #293 of 473
UPDATE:  Audio/Visual support for the soldering demo is through an outside vendor and PRICEY. Only projector and screen.

There is a "screen package" for $100 if we came up with the camera and projector...

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #295 of 473
I'm new to head-fi, joined after seeing Jude on Tekzilla.  I live near San Jose and will be making the trip up for the meet next week. Maybe someone can let me try their aftermarket cables on my LCD-2s?  I haven't had enough of the audiophile kool aid to drop $500 or more on a 5 foot cord....yet.   

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #296 of 473

Quote:
1 Post. Joined Yesterday at 10:19 pm
Originally Posted by mavfan1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm new to head-fi, joined after seeing Jude on Tekzilla.  I live near San Jose and will be making the trip up for the meet next week. Maybe someone can let me try their aftermarket cables on my LCD-2s?  I haven't had enough of the audiophile kool aid to drop $500 or more on a 5 foot cord....yet.   

Excellent first post. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #297 of 473
Totally forgot about this till I was pinged the other day...

CEE TEE - if there is still room on your list, please put me down as attending.  Looks like your tables are full, but I will at least bring some cans along (probably be down on the tables with Frank and Iron'). Can bring things in my sig if needed.

Cheers,
Mikey

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #299 of 473
Hi @rroseperry, can you see if the projector can accept different camera inputs and what kind of connection?

If someone else can bring a compatible camera, I have a benevolent offer to pick up the "screen package" of $100 from the hotel!! 

Quote:
I've got a projector at work I could probably borrow, though I've only hooked them up to laptops.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #300 of 473
Hi @rroseperry, can you see if the projector can accept different camera inputs and what kind of connection?

If someone else can bring a compatible camera, I have a benevolent offer to pick up the "screen package" of $100 from the hotel!! 

Sure, I'll check on it tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back