Official 2006 (Inter)National Meet - April 22nd & 23rd
Apr 5, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #316 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Is there any way that you could post a few figures to give some guidence as to what sort of donations you need. The reason I ask is that I want to make darn sure that neither you nor anyone else is stuck holding a bill at the end of all of this, that is simply unacceptable. What I suggest is saying something like the following, "Given that X number of people are attending on Saturday if we average Y per person in donations everything will be covered." If you don't feel comfortable with that I completely understand.

And once more, for the record, a heartfelt thanks to you and all of the others who have freely donated so much of your time and efforts to make sure that this will go down as something so much more than just another Head-Fi meet. :twothumbsup:

Nate

I think this in part goes against the idea of a "donation" and it would be nice to recognize it as such and then give it further thought to come up with what should be a reasonable $ amount.

Don't get me wrong, I perfectly see your point and wondered exactly the same thing. On the other hand I believe the whole point is in letting each one of us decide on his/her own.

But hey, I am not immtbiker, he might very well think differently. He is indeed taking some risk.

gio

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #317 of 607
Thanks Nate...I appreciate the kind words. Just to throw out some ballpark figures, the rooms for both days are costing me approximately $3800, and the banquet (depending on attendees and vendors) is costing between $15-20 per person, so at 300 people, that would be between $5 and 6,000.
So without the additon of signage and all other costs, we are talking $10,000 minimum.
If everyone gave $20, that would cover just the food.

But then there's the table purchases by the vendors and the raffle money.

My goal was to have the event pay for itself and have a sizeable donation to Head-Fi and Jude that would allow Head-Fi to run for 1 year without losing money.
The other main purpose is to keep our hobby alive and thriving and this is where vendor participation and the moderated panel comes in. We want our sponsors and manufacturers to be able to keep the audiophile world striving with communities such as ourselves being the driving force to keep it moving in the right direction.
That is why so many of our sponsors and manufacturers were so willing to give away their products and donate to the cause. This should be a win-win situation for all involved. If everyone were to donate $20 or more dollars (a small price to pay), and buy raffle tickets in order to have a chance of winning some awesome gear, there shouldn't be any problems for this and future meets like these in the years to come.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #318 of 607
It appears that there aren't a lot of people who are willing to give up some of their meet time to man the table for some free headphones.

Tyll from Headroom has offered to sweeten the pot.

Along with each of the 2 members receiving a pair of Audio Technica ATAH500 headphones, Headroom is going to give each person a Bithead and a Gigabag that is slightly larger than the one on their site.

The headphones are $100, the Gigabag is $59 and the Bithead is $199 MSRP

Any other essay writers feel that it would be worth their while?
icon10.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170734

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #319 of 607
by the way, I join in full n_maher in his nice words for immtbiker & Co. What you guys are doing is just plain cool.

And n_maher, lets go Triumph ! I will soon add to my profile.

gio

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #320 of 607
Thanks guys...A couple of kind words can go a long way and make hard work all seem worthwhile.
cool.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #321 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Thanks guys...A couple of kind words can go a long way and make hard work all seem worthwhile.
cool.gif

Dude you rock plain and simple, don't forget that, it will be a pleasure to meet you in person as well as talk audio and music
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #322 of 607
Thanks Ryan.

Great news. Headroom has added 2 Bitheads to it's donations list. See first page for all donations.

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #323 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Dude you rock plain and simple, don't forget that, it will be a pleasure to meet you in person as well as talk audio and music
biggrin.gif

Aaron can talk for the whole of NYC. Believe me I have chatted to him on the phone
rs1smile.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #324 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
biggrin.gif

Actually Aaron is even better in person!
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #325 of 607
WARNING - a head-fier just told me that he called to confirm his hotel reservation and he got BUMPED due to overbooking. So call to make certain your room is DEFINITELY going to be there for you! It's a good thing the head-fier called to cancel, but still, it's scary.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #326 of 607
So, they just dropped his reservation without notifying him? Sounds like a great way to run a hotel to me.

Apr 5, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #327 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
WARNING - a head-fier just told me that he called to confirm his hotel reservation and he got BUMPED due to overbooking. So call to make certain your room is DEFINITELY going to be there for you! It's a good thing the head-fier called to cancel, but still, it's scary.

I called and confirmed my room this morning, which was booked pretty much at the end of the block of Head-Fi rooms and it was still in the system. However, the hotel changed computer systems 2 weeks ago (what I was told) and therefor all of the confirmation numbers changed, I'd recommend that anyone planning on staying at the Adria/Ramada call to get your new confirmation number.

Nate

Apr 5, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #328 of 607
Westone has confirmed what they will be donating to the raffle - check out the first page and see what the new goodies are!

Apr 5, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #329 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

I called in again before to confirm, and they had me down. Do I need to call again?
confused.gif

*EDIT. I just called, and everything is OK for me.

-Ed

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #330 of 607
Quote:

I called and confirmed my room this morning, which was booked pretty much at the end of the block of Head-Fi rooms and it was still in the system. However, the hotel changed computer systems 2 weeks ago (what I was told) and therefor all of the confirmation numbers changed, I'd recommend that anyone planning on staying at the Adria/Ramada call to get your new confirmation number.

I made my reservation on Feb. 8 and just called now to make sure the room was still being held. I mentioned that someone had been told the computer system had been recently changed, to which the desk clerk replied "That's news to me." I didn't confirm whether or not my confirmation number had been changed but they looked under my name and the room was still mine. He said as long as the room was reserved with a credit card, it would be held and nobody should be bumped. Then again, I once had a suite in Niagara Falls reserved with a card, but when I arrived, it had been given to someone else. It makes me wonder if they don't indeed bump people who have reserved only 1 night when someone else calls up looking for several nights accomodation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back