off-topic - Which desktop SPEAKERS (yes speakers) for my new computer
Jul 24, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #31 of 43
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I have managed to cause some confusion here
wink.gif

I am not the OP, I just jumped in because I too am in a similar situation. Gatticus: Not sure if you were replying to me, but £100 is really my budget and $880 CAD is about £450. Nice set-up though.

hardnrg: Those look interesting. £20 to try them out isn't much. Not too large either.

I am considering Eltax Monitor IIIs and a T-amp. The MIIIs have a downward firing bass port which I am a tad concerned about (resonance) but they should be fine. A bit large but I'll find room.

The other option is the Aego M, as suggested by Bozz_Keren, which is in about the same price range. Anyone care to comment on these? I have heard they are good for general computer stuff, but the sub does not integrate quite as well as you might like for music. Musicallity is more important to me than thumping bass, even in movies and TV shows.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Twoish years ago the Klipsch Promedia were by far the best 2.1 system out there made for computers. I have not really kept up, but from a recent Head-fi thread it appears they still hold the crown. How it compares to bookshelf speekers I cannot tell you.

Here is a link to what they look like. Be warned, these were replaced in Klipsch's lineup by a far inferior 2.1 system. I cannot recall the name offhand, but it has a silver-greyish color pattern and an "orb" for the controller/base.

I use this system and it still amazes me for it's price/size. It is now my secondary system with Legacy studios as my primary.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #33 of 43
Sep 17, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #34 of 43
I just finished reading this thread-and decided to hijack it for the second time in its lifespan.

I am in a similar situation as the OP. I have been looking for a pair of computer speakers. I'm living in a dorm-type setting at the moment, but will be out in the real world in year or so.

I had a cambridge soundworks 5.1 sytem for a while, and basically at this point am trying to decide if I want to go the way of another 5.1 system or a simple stereo set-up. Surround sound is nice-but if I think about this practically, the speakers I get will be used mostly for music at the moment(and movies) and perhaps videogames down the line.

So I've been eyeing the Logitech Z-5500(5.1) which is ~$260. But if better sound can be had from a stereo set-up via the swan m200($200), then I would go for that.

So which has better SQ? If it says anything about my SQ preference, I have a pair of Hd-595s and love 'em.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 17, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #35 of 43
In sound reproduction the speakers make the biggest single contribution to sq.

For highest sq, get the best two speakers you can afford.

Sep 23, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #36 of 43
Can anyone atest to the SQ on the Logitech Z5500s compared to the other monitors listed before, such as the Swans?

And if using speakers like the Swans, how much difference would the sound card make. For example, I have an Audigy 2 zs right now, but I wanted to try out the modded x-fi. With budget speakers like these ($200) how much difference can I expect to hear from the change in sound cards?

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #39 of 43
Recently an eBay dealer was selling refurbished Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 851s for $50 plus shipping. Besides the 150-watt subwoofer amp the units have active crossovers and 70-watt amps for five satellite speakers. They are not "audiophile" grade but they do have MOS-FET output amps and sound very good.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calihan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone atest to the SQ on the Logitech Z5500s compared to the other monitors listed before, such as the Swans?

Could someone please answer this question?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=82.1

those speakers have everybody talking

check online for reviews

Alright...but they're $219...with no integrated amp. I'd like to spend no more than $250...is it possible to get an amp at a cheap price that can do 'em justice? ie. sound better than the swans?

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is aimed at the OP.

Pick these up: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261047

and a Cetral Station: http://presonus.com/centralstation.html

Genelec monitors are nice too.

Same question as above...these speakers are quite a deal...but can i get a cheap amp to do 'em justice?

Thanks for the help...

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #41 of 43
I have a pair of logitech 5.1's (now the newest generation) and frankly they sound like crap. I would not buy a pair of logitech anything if you want hi-fi sound. They are cool for watching movies, but music, not so much so.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of logitech 5.1's (now the newest generation) and frankly they sound like crap. I would not buy a pair of logitech anything if you want hi-fi sound. They are cool for watching movies, but music, not so much so.

Hmm...thanks for the advice.

I had the opportunity to hear them in a friend's room during a party. Man-were they loud, and the entire room was thumping from the bass. They seem a bit overkill for what I'll be using for, and I'm guessing the ability to go to such ridiculous volumes compromises the overall SQ...

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #43 of 43
Just because a speaker can be driven to high volumes does not mean it has low sq. I know what you ment tho, that when playing at such loud levels the sq probably does suffer.

But I would still like to know if anyone has the z5500s and also has experience with monitors around the same price. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

And as I asked before, can you tell a difference on changing sound cards (Audigy 2 ZS to x-mod) with these budget speakers? I would assume if you had lots of listening time with them both you could, but probably it wouldn't affect the sound quality too much. I just wanted to know if I should bother switching sound cards after I find and purchase some speakers.

On a side note, if I purchased some monitors (probably just 2 of em) would I miss the bass? I probably would. . . With the x-fi, how would I hook up 2 monitors and a sub? I won't have any reciever of any kind as it is, would I have to get one for this to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back