ODAC vs Colorfly C4
Oct 9, 2012 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

edba2000

100+ Head-Fier
I'm quite happy with my current setup:
Samsung S3 (usb) -> ODAC -> O2 amp
Great sound!

Can I expect much better from a Colorfly C4?
(Only listening 16bits/44.1KHz)

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #2 of 9
anyone?

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #3 of 9
what is an ODAC?, a search shows no product reviews

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Don't know the  leckerton uha-6s mkii!
Is it good? What you mean with "replace"? Use the ODAC and the leckerton AMP, or use the leckerton AMP and DAC?

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 9
It is a wonderful portable amp, extremely clean and transparent. So basically connect your odac to your gs3 with the otg usb and then connect the uha-6s mkii to the odac with a 3.5mm mini to mini interconnect and...:gs1000smile:

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
It is a wonderful portable amp, extremely clean and transparent. So basically connect your odac to your gs3 with the otg usb and then connect the uha-6s mkii to the odac with a 3.5mm mini to mini interconnect and...
gs1000.gif

I have experience with both products (I have the Mark I version of the Leckerton). Both are excellent sounding with somewhat different sound signatures. If you use the Leckerton there is no need for a separate DAC, the one in the Leckerton is first rate.

For me, going to a single box was the draw for the Colorfly but it does have some drawbacks. Nevertheless that is what I am using. I think you would be very happy with either's sound quality.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 9
I have experience with both products (I have the Mark I version of the Leckerton). Both are excellent sounding with somewhat different sound signatures. If you use the Leckerton there is no need for a separate DAC, the one in the Leckerton is first rate.

For me, going to a single box was the draw for the Colorfly but it does have some drawbacks. Nevertheless that is what I am using. I think you would be very happy with either's sound quality.

Thanks, guess no odac then. What would be the best portable dac I could get to use with a note 2 or gs3? I guess the dac is ok on the leckerton, but I want an upgrade.

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Thanks, guess no odac then. What would be the best portable dac I could get to use with a note 2 or gs3? I guess the dac is ok on the leckerton, but I want an upgrade.

There is no need to use a separate DAC. It won't be an improvement and in fact if anything would be detrimental.
The Leckerton uses the well regarded Cirrus CS4398 DAC chip which is used in desktop DACs in the $1000 range and it uses an excellent bipolar power supply.
If you use a separate DAC you are adding the DAC's output buffer and an extra analog cable. More complex signal paths are not preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back