Ocharaku 音茶楽 thread
May 18, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #92 of 430
So I was able to get my hands on a new Ocharaku Flat 4 Akasakura and the Kuro Type II. The Kuro came in a metal canister while the Akasakura came in with a square wood box. I will post pictures later.

These are quite different units not only in cost !.

When comparing these units

The Kuro seem more relaxed , easier to drive with a phone. I was expecting a super dark sound signature but I felt that even tough they're are not the brightest around they were not macabre as someone else described. Tip wis they seem to work well with Spin fits, JVC and Comply. I felt that the Comply T 500 gave the best seal

Now the Akasakuras, that was something else. The sound had to be raised on the phone , is like it was difficult to drive these, their sound signature was lower in magnitude? (?sorry if I am using a wrong term). They really excel when I connected them to a Cayin C5. Also found that songs that were slow in tempo did not perform well but EDM type worked great. The tips was also an issue, I only found the Comply T200 Large to really seal

It seems that these units performance are really tied to the material on the barrel in which the drivers are located. the Kuros seem to be aluminum while the Akasakuras are wood. I am assuming the resonance within these barrels is what is creating the higher/lower scenario

I only had BA types around to compare with both units gave me a better sound signature than Shure 435. The Kuros under certain songs got close on sound to the Westone W50, but I could get a wide clarity extension that I did not see on the Ocharakus. Also handy was a pair of Audio Technica IM 50 with JVC dots, no one was able to get close on the bass unless a changed the tips of the W50

I was expecting difference between these earphones, but they were really different

Maybe someone has additional experience with these and can share hat have they found.

May 18, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #95 of 430
So I was able to get my hands on a new Ocharaku Flat 4 Akasakura and the Kuro Type II. The Kuro came in a metal canister while the Akasakura came in with a square wood box. I will post pictures later.

These are quite different units not only in cost !.

When comparing these units

The Kuro seem more relaxed , easier to drive with a phone. I was expecting a super dark sound signature but I felt that even tough they're are not the brightest around they were not macabre as someone else described. Tip wis they seem to work well with Spin fits, JVC and Comply. I felt that the Comply T 500 gave the best seal

Now the Akasakuras, that was something else. The sound had to be raised on the phone , is like it was difficult to drive these, their sound signature was lower in magnitude? (?sorry if I am using a wrong term). They really excel when I connected them to a Cayin C5. Also found that songs that were slow in tempo did not perform well but EDM type worked great. The tips was also an issue, I only found the Comply T200 Large to really seal

It seems that these units performance are really tied to the material on the barrel in which the drivers are located. the Kuros seem to be aluminum while the Akasakuras are wood. I am assuming the resonance within these barrels is what is creating the higher/lower scenario

I only had BA types around to compare with both units gave me a better sound signature than Shure 435. The Kuros under certain songs got close on sound to the Westone W50, but I could get a wide clarity extension that I did not see on the Ocharakus. Also handy was a pair of Audio Technica IM 50 with JVC dots, no one was able to get close on the bass unless a changed the tips of the W50

I was expecting difference between these earphones, but they were really different

Maybe someone has additional experience with these and can share hat have they found.

Precisely because Akasakura is less sensitive (not hard to drive), it hisses with almost no source. Wonderful. The black version and red version sound wildly different, the red following more closely the classic Kaede sound and the black being something entirely new and uncharacteristically dark. 

May 18, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #96 of 430
Thanks Shigzeo for some reason I expected a little more body from the Akazakura. However did not experience that much hiss, maybe because I am using just a regular phone ( Huawei Mate 8). 

Nice sounding devices but I just thought the Akazakura would really overshadow the Kuro's and they did not.

May 19, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #98 of 430

Precisely because Akasakura is less sensitive (not hard to drive), it hisses with almost no source. Wonderful. The black version and red version sound wildly different, the red following more closely the classic Kaede sound and the black being something entirely new and uncharacteristically dark. 

When can we expect the review on Headfonia? )

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #103 of 430
Is Sibilance normal in Flat4 Aka, my songs mostly by females singers. A particular few generates very sharp sibilance.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #105 of 430
Is there somewhere with a brief overview of their various lines and models? I'm considering getting one but I have no idea which to start with

http://www.headfonia.com/enjoy-sound-and-tea-ocharaku-flat-4/

http://www.headfonia.com/brutal-world-class-acoustics-ocharaku-flat-4-kuro-and-kaede/

http://www.headfonia.com/ocharaku-flat4-sakura-plus-atmospheric/

http://www.headfonia.com/ocharaku-donguri-keyaki/

As well as lots of info on headfi as you know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back