Obtaining Pink Noise??
Feb 24, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #16 of 40
one simple method to create "pink noise" is to tune your radio station to an area on the dial where there is no signal. i forget how i learned this but it works....white noise is what ppl usually like to fall asleep to. white noise is the higher frequencies only.

Feb 24, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #17 of 40
Pink noise made my head hurt, so I wouldn't try to sleep on it lol.

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by walter_12_3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone define pink noise for me? thanks

most have commented on what Pink Noise is, but if your curious as to its use, one of them is my line of work at concerts. We use Pink noise to feed into the house PA system and then use a spectrum analyzer to see what frequencies are out of line (up or down) and then use our active EQs to make adjustments to overcome the acoustics of a room.

It has other uses for testing etc, but nice to see how its applied in the real world outside of burning in your amps and headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pink noise made my head hurt, so I wouldn't try to sleep on it lol.

biggrin.gif
same with me, I dont see how pink noise can help anyone sleep.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #20 of 40
How long do would you go about burning-in your headphones with pink noise vs. just playing music?

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

How long do would you go about burning-in your headphones with pink noise vs. just playing music?

I imagine it depends on your music - orchestral music isn't as dense as some kinds of rock'n'roll. I'm not sure if it's possible to easily develop stats on this. My experience is that it can be four times faster, or more.

Check the break-in link below for more info.

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It also depends on the headphones and how badly they need burn-in in the first place. The titanium-coated mylar drivers in the Ultrasone Proline series of headphones, specifically the 750 (closed can) and 2500 (open can version with the same drivers) are known to take at least 200 hours of burn-in to begin reaching their potential, and extra burn-in using pink-noise hasn't hurt matters a bit with those, making them even silkier. This may sound like hype, but it is very real and is very noticeable by everyone who has ever owned a pair of these. So, burn to taste, then simmer.

I just finished an additional 25 hours of pink noise after the initial burn-in with my 750's and it has made things silkier, creamier, more embracing and sensual. Without a doubt! I'm melting here!!!

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forvak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add a small but important note to the definition above. White noise is all frequencies played at once. Pink noise is all frequencies played with the same amount of energy at once. It provides a more even work out for the headphones. There is a thread somewhere.. Here That deals all about burning in with pink sound.

An important point to all this is that pink noise is playing all possible frequencies, fired at random intervals, not just the ones produced by harmonic overtones of fundamentals played by modern instruments in a tempered musical scale. So there is a more thorough work out of the drivers across the board, not favoring any key signatures or harmonic overtone series. Especially on the highs, pink noise gives the diaphragms an excellent workout not possible by simply playing music into them.

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Feb 24, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here ya go

NOISE

enjoy!

But how do I get that to play on my headphones?
confused.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #26 of 40
I read in the "Pink noise works wonders..." thread accounts of burning in sucking out the bass out of people's headphones. Is this a normal thing, or something that should prevent me from using pink noise for burn-in? I have a dt880(one of the bass-got-sucked headphones mentioned), and would love to hear it at its best using pink noise.

Thanks for the help, later!=]

*edit* here's one account. Here's another.

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read in the "Pink noise works wonders..." thread accounts of burning in sucking out the bass out of people's headphones. Is this a normal thing, or something that should prevent me from using pink noise for burn-in? I have a dt880(one of the bass-got-sucked headphones mentioned), and would love to hear it at its best using pink noise.

Thanks for the help, later!=]

*edit* here's one account. Here's another.

Read THIS POST for info on getting pink noise and running it with a silent track as a safety measure.

I would consider those accounts anecdotal and cannot take them seriously, though the c3000 owner felt it improved things and thanked the OP. Pink noise is used as an industry standard to break in speakers and headphones.

If bass is being reduced, it is because non burned-in headphones of these models perhaps have overly pronounced bass out of the box which goes away at last following a proper burn-in.

Then again, perhaps these were burned-in using pink noise at excessively high volumes, or other factors existed that caused the bass to fail.

(1st rule of tech support - the user NEVER tells you everything...)

There is another thread just started also on pink noise and its use called merely Pink Noise.

Someday, someone will report that something or another sucked out the bass, the mids and the highs in their headphones. I already have a pair with sucked out bass, mids and highs. I call them my broken headphones. (Maybe using the term "broken-in" is a dangerous metaphor?)

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbritton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read THIS POST for info on getting pink noise and running it with a silent track as a safety measure.

I would consider those accounts anecdotal and cannot take them seriously, though the c3000 owner felt it improved things and thanked the OP. Pink noise is used as an industry standard to break in speakers and headphones.

If bass is being reduced, it is because non burned-in headphones of these models perhaps have overly pronounced bass out of the box which goes away at last following a proper burn-in.

Then again, perhaps these were burned-in using pink noise at excessively high volumes, or other factors existed that caused the bass to fail.

(1st rule of tech support - the user NEVER tells you everything...)

There is another thread just started also on pink noise and its use called merely Pink Noise.

Someday, someone will report that something or another sucked out the bass, the mids and the highs in their headphones. I already have a pair with sucked out bass, mids and highs. I call them my broken headphones. (Maybe using the term "broken-in" is a dangerous metaphor?)

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Ok, thank you for your help!

I have a newb question. So I have to run both track 59(the silent track) and track 58 at the same time?

Thanks for your help, have a nice day!

*edit* Oh nm, one AFTER the other lol!
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, thank you for your help!

I have a newb question. So I have to run both track 59(the silent track) and track 58 at the same time?

Thanks for your help, have a nice day!

*edit* Oh nm, one AFTER the other lol!
tongue.gif

Heh... What a nooob!!!
tongue.gif
(that was a good one!)

Glad to help out, denl82

Terry
750prolinebx3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back