Obscure Chinese DAPs
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #7,486 of 8,144
Jun 23, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #7,487 of 8,144
I am wondering, the B4 X is easier to find on AE.

I do have two 8920's, not exactly the same (one original and one probably fake but good too), and I only have unbalanced headphones, if I buy a B4X and change the two opamps for the 8920´s, is it true that ony one opamp is working? Has the X a better circuit than the non-X?

Jun 23, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #7,488 of 8,144
When I got mine I was advised to get the standard B4 if not using balanced as there was no benefit getting the X to me and sound not pretty much the same.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #7,489 of 8,144
Okay, I did some more research, and the idea of a tube headphone amp is appealing. I will use such a device only at home, so battery operated is not necessary. The Little Bear needs 2,5 hour charging for 4,5 hour use. A step up in quality and price could be the Shiit Vali, sold out at the moment. I think that would be a nice piece of kit to buy. https://www.schiit.com/products/vali-3

Or the Rupert Neve headphone amp if I stretch my budget, it has no tube but it has other strengths https://rupertneve.com/products/rnhp

I keep my opamp in the closet, maybe Zishan has a new DAP model in future that could use a Muses 8920.

So the suggestion for a Little Bear B4 leads to something else, that's a good thing, thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #7,490 of 8,144
Received my limited edition MF02S, my quick impressions :

- solid build, exceptional driving power, running a bit hot
- balanced sound, slightly warm, very soft and transparent vocals, smooth highs and bass,
- dark background, soundstage is average, not huge, vocals is a rather up-front
- instruments separation is not the best but beautifully presented
- both 3.5 & 4.4 are good,
- MF02S has more refined sound compared to DX160 that I used before, MF02S's SQ is simply better.
- Compared to the organic vocals of N3Pro, MF02S emphasizes more on the singer breath-in, breath-out, which is also enjoyable. Besides, MF02S presents better sound-stage, instrument separations than N3Pro in 3.5. For 4.4, MF02s beats every way ( SQ / tuning ) than N3Pro.

MF02S just makes me wonder how can a single dac produce such great sound.

1.jpg

PXL_20210629_093841031.PORTRAIT.jpg

3.jpg

PXL_20210629_094248561.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #7,491 of 8,144
I'm waiting for a video review of the MF02S. Really interested in the UI etc.

Jul 2, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #7,492 of 8,144
To make a simple conclusion of my opinion on the mf02s (Limited edition) : Amazing sound and build quality within this price range, acceptable cons

I've been using this dap for a week, there are some obvious pros and cons regarding to the machine.

Pro:
-Sound and build quality, firm wheel, button as well as the type c and the 3.5 and 4.4 plug, tight and nice
-Small Size, Light weight (really portable unlike sp2k those heavy 'bricks' hahaha)
-Can be used as a dac (noticeable noise, can't be detected by some phone, and driver issues reflected by some Chinese users) PS I haven't tried this function yet
-Frequent firmware update (Compensating the buggy UI haha)
-High output power but also quiet background (No noticeable noise when plugged with andromeda)
-About 1.5hr finish charging
-Have Bluetooth function in the future (not sure what that's for, I just use it as a dap:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Con:
-Relatively short battery life (around 5.5hr at most)
-Hot (without the leather case, it can be as hot as a Zishan 4499:sweat_smile:)
-Still Buggy( sometimes the wheel can go in the opposite direction when navigating files)
-Only Two layer of file can be supported (may need to fix the way you classify your playlist)
-The leather case provided isn't fit enough, need to pay special attention to prevent the player from slipping out of the case
-Noticeable small burst noise when plugging in the 3.5 (4.4 don't have this problem)

Sound quality:
-Powerful but still full of details
-Signature sound of 9038q2m, but a warmer and softer tone, mainly V shaped slightly W shaped for the mid
-Solid bass, good treble control for some earphone which its high is almost out of control
-Slightly warm for the vocal, not those thick, muddy mid, you can feel the density of the vocal, giving her a slightly warm tone, comfortable and still full of detail
-Accurate instrument background, layer of instrument can be accurately presented and separated from each other
-Outline for the instruments is considered as clean and sharp within this price range (much weaker than sp2k)
-Wide soundstage (20-30% smaller than sp2k) (my opinion)
-4.4 is way better than 3.5, still not bad for its 3.5, the outline of sound is cleaner in 4.4, ad well as a bigger sound-stage.

PS. One thing to mention is that using mf02s to listen to the first track of the greatest showman, you can feel the hi-end dap sound from mf02s

To conclude, MF02s is worth to buy within the price range of RMB 2500 below (Not sure the international price tho)
I am looking forward to new firmware that will extend the battery life, fix bugs and improvement in sound quality on the field of background instrument separation and soundstage

PPS. First time to write a review in English, Hope you guys enjoy it.:v::L3000::v::beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #7,493 of 8,144
To make a simple conclusion of my opinion on the mf02s (Limited edition) : Amazing sound and build quality within this price range, acceptable cons

I've been using this dap for a week, there are some obvious pros and cons regarding to the machine.

Pro:
-Sound and build quality, firm wheel, button as well as the type c and the 3.5 and 4.4 plug, tight and nice
-Small Size, Light weight (really portable unlike sp2k those heavy 'bricks' hahaha)
-Can be used as a dac (noticeable noise, can't be detected by some phone, and driver issues reflected by some Chinese users) PS I haven't tried this function yet
-Frequent firmware update (Compensating the buggy UI haha)
-High output power but also quiet background (No noticeable noise when plugged with andromeda)
-About 1.5hr finish charging
-Have Bluetooth function in the future (not sure what that's for, I just use it as a dap:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Con:
-Relatively short battery life (around 5.5hr at most)
-Hot (without the leather case, it can be as hot as a Zishan 4499:sweat_smile:)
-Still Buggy( sometimes the wheel can go in the opposite direction when navigating files)
-Only Two layer of file can be supported (may need to fix the way you classify your playlist)
-The leather case provided isn't fit enough, need to pay special attention to prevent the player from slipping out of the case
-Noticeable small burst noise when plugging in the 3.5 (4.4 don't have this problem)

Sound quality:
Powerful but still full of details, Signature sound of 9038q2m, but a warmer and softer tone, mainly V shaped slightly W shaped for the mid
Solid bass, good treble control for some earphone which its high is almost out of control
Slightly warm for the vocal, not those thick, muddy mid, you can feel the density of the vocal, giving her a slightly warm tone, comfortable and still full of detail
Accurate instrument background, layer of instrument can be accurately presented and separated from each other
Outline for the instruments is considered as clean and sharp within this price range (much weaker than sp2k)
Wide soundstage (20-30% smaller than sp2k) (my opinion)
4.4 is way better than 3.5, still not bad for its 3.5, the outline of sound is cleaner in 4.4, ad well as a bigger sound-stage.

PS. One thing to mention is that using mf02s to listen to the first track of the greatest showman, you can feel the hi-end dap sound from mf02s

To conclude, MF02s is worth to buy within the price range of RMB 2500 below (Not sure the international price tho)
I am looking forward to new firmware that will extend the battery life, fix bugs and improvement in sound quality on the field of background instrument separation and soundstage

PPS. First time to write a review in English, Hope you guys enjoy it.:v::L3000::v::beerchug:
Sound good I have ordered the special edition, looking forward to it.

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #7,498 of 8,144
So I've got my Fiio X3 mk3 now and I really like it. Despite the lagging it's a good upgrade to my MF01.
Does anyone know how the EQing works? I can customize all EQs but only on the custom EQ option it really makes a difference to the sound.
I mean what's the point of being able to customize all EQs like Rock, Jazz, Metal, ACG (whatever that is) if it's not really making a difference?

Also I want to mod it to have that iPod Classic Touchwheel feeling, by buying a circular cutter and some paper feel display protector.
The plan is to cut a perfect circle that fits the touch wheel and then stick it on the touchwheel area. Would that work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back