Obscure Chinese DAPs
Sep 19, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #1,321 of 8,150

Both actually have decent architecture, they are not completely rubbish daps like most of the <$150 daps in this thread (in terms of hardware design, no idea on their UI and firmware).

Both using dual pcb board's for separate digital and analog sections, and trying to implement a good digital audio process; The first dap is using a cortex m4 cpu + wolfson wm8804 with single clock to send i2s to the dac, while the second linked dap is using a cortex m7 + altera cpld with dual clocks to send i2s to the dac. Overall I prefer the digital process of the second dap, but there is no pcb pictures of the first dap's digital board, only analog pcb is shown, so I can't compare other points between them, only their general architecture, and a large part of the audio quality is actually determined by how well the software is interfacing between the cpu and i2s platform, which remains unknown for both.

Both using a good amount of electrolytic capacitors that slim daps can't fit, the second cheaper dap using good sanyo capacitors for power supply and enla caps on the out put, while the $330 dap using unknown caps for the power supply and rifa tube caps on the output (interesting), both using plenty of good model opamps through out.

I like the design ethos of the cheaper one better, but still given it's price there has been sacrifices made, it uses a cheap volume pot for example, you may get channel imbalances when using sensitive iems depending on the gain of the output which isn't mentioned.

The first $330 dap is too much risk, and I'd rather buy an Aune M2 at $350, but imo the second dap at $150 is a decent buy if the software side is any good, as the hardware mostly checks out, much better audio design than all the other <$150 daps mentioned so far. Although I'm not going to buy it because I already have daps that I know will be better than it, but if I only had $150, I would actually strongly consider it.

thank you, I think in the same direction. Just in hardware terms the cheaper one appears to be far better that the others I saw at that price range According to the aliexpress feedback-reviewer the cheaper one has no gapless playback and has some trouble playing iso cd and so on but I didn't completely understand it because russian language and google translator I'm  afraid.. I saw some pictures of the UI on the net, it is kinda odd like the external appearance of the player, but I don't care about it since I'm looking for the best exclusively sounding player -without break the bank- hat piss me off is the lack of information -reviews so to try even the cheap one is a risk..

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #1,322 of 8,150
Personally I think the way things sound is much more important than the number on the parts used but as always ymmw......

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #1,323 of 8,150
Man, the chinglish translation @ Aliexpress link is crappy!
tongue.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #1,324 of 8,150
I've received the Benjie K9. They are quite heavy, and looks like it's painted, not the metalish like they show on their web. sounds is quite good. It sounds better than Ruizu X02 imo. The bass has more weight, mid is thicker, treb is smooth and backward but the Jazz setting equalizer solve the problem.
Quite good for the price I'd say.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #1,325 of 8,150
About the dap we were talking about earlier, it has a matching class A amp identical in size and body: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/mini-A1-CPI-HIFI-amp-portable-headphone-amplifier/32717324107.html

Also check this class A amp with dual mini Tubes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Bear-B4-Portable-Vacuum-Valve-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-HiFi-for-Phone-/262345410777?hash=item3d150148d9:g:j3MAAOSw-KFXdH4l

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #1,326 of 8,150
  I've received the Benjie K9. They are quite heavy, and looks like it's painted, not the metalish like they show on their web. sounds is quite good. It sounds better than Ruizu X02 imo. The bass has more weight, mid is thicker, treb is smooth and backward but the Jazz setting equalizer solve the problem.
Quite good for the price I'd say.

Interesting. I got mine not long ago and received one with an aluminium body. I bought the black colour though.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,327 of 8,150
  About the dap we were talking about earlier, it has a matching class A amp identical in size and body: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/mini-A1-CPI-HIFI-amp-portable-headphone-amplifier/32717324107.html

Also check this class A amp with dual mini Tubes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Bear-B4-Portable-Vacuum-Valve-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-HiFi-for-Phone-/262345410777?hash=item3d150148d9:g:j3MAAOSw-KFXdH4l

About the class-A amp first time I saw it but for that price it appears to be quite good as well. I read some reviews about the hybrid little bear some time ago with very different impressions so..
Recently I was looking for a cheap headphone DAC-amp with balanced output. The only thing I found was this -but again, no reviews, no impressions about it-:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Bph-01-high-fidelity-portable-amp-fully-balanced-single-ended-balanced-input-output-Dual-TPA6120/32725923272.html

Related to the players, the thing about the expensive one is that you can change the oamp by yourself -welding free, supposedly..- what is a great advantage if wanna try different combinations, but the price is too much for an unknow brand Im afraid.. I think I gonna take the risk and buy the cheap zishan too.
I´d like your impressions if you finally get it btw

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #1,328 of 8,150

Regarding the Little Bear B4 - look at my rig:
biggrin.gif

Its actually quite good. I amp-rolled it too (replaced the stock NE5534 with a Burr Brown OPA2107AP), its socketed in the B4 so quite easy to mod.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #1,329 of 8,150
  About the class-A amp first time I saw it but the price appears to be quite good as well. I think I gonna take the risk and buy the cheap zishan too. I´d like your impressions if you finally get it btw.

I ended up getting all three, Zishan DSD, GAD Mini A1, and Douk Little Bear B4. Should be fun testing them out, I'd like to see how these cheap (but seemingly well engineered) daps and amps compare to my more expensive ones.

I'm predicting these will punch above their price somewhat, and if I read the Russian review correctly the dap has Tetris, that sold me 
biggrin.gif

Regarding the Little Bear B4 - look at my rig:
biggrin.gif

Its actually quite good. I amp-rolled it too (replaced the stock NE5534 with a Burr Brown OPA2107AP), its socketed in the B4 so quite easy to mod.

Nice, I have heaps of opamps lying around, will probably try Muses02.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #1,332 of 8,150
ok I found the Zishan DSD´s little brother the Zishan mini. This thing has coaxial output and the ability to be rockboxed but lower hardware and It´s €30 less than the Zishan DSD:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIFI-fever-nondestructive-portable-music-player-DIY-FLAC-APE-MP3-WAV-192K-24B/32631884685.html?scm=1007.13338.47322.0&pvid=f4d30d6e-e197-446c-895a-a3c9fe663513&tpp=1

Still gonna buy the big brother that not only has tetris -the real selling point here- but 180 preset EQ´s so you will not get bored with the thing-  
biggrin.gif

some mysteries to be discovered:
- will it have proper drivers to operate as a dac for windows and/or will it be recognized on android-otg?
- what's the "turbo" mode"?
- what's that jack beside the usb-jack? maybe a line-in and could it be used as a sort of amplifier?

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #1,333 of 8,150
If you guys get these players and they turn out decent be sure to create them thier own thread. This is how some golden gem discoverys have taken off on Head-fi.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,334 of 8,150
  ok I found the Zishan DSD´s little brother the Zishan mini. This thing has coaxial output and the ability to be rockboxed but lower hardware and It´s €30 less than the Zishan DSD:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIFI-fever-nondestructive-portable-music-player-DIY-FLAC-APE-MP3-WAV-192K-24B/32631884685.html?scm=1007.13338.47322.0&pvid=f4d30d6e-e197-446c-895a-a3c9fe663513&tpp=1
Still gonna buy the big brother that not only has tetris -the real selling point here- but 180 preset EQ´s so you will not get bored with the thing-  
biggrin.gif

some mysteries to be discovered:
- will it have proper drivers to operate as a dac for windows and/or will it be recognized on android-otg?
- what's the "turbo" mode"?
- what's that jack beside the usb-jack? maybe a line-in and could it be used as a sort of amplifier?

The mini looks nice also, actually comes with a very nice LPF opamp (AD827), but I prefer the dsd for the much better cpu and audio processing design. I don't have answers for any of the mysteries, need someone that reads Chinese. Can you link me to the firmware's for the dap in the first picture? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back