Obscure Chinese DAPs
Feb 5, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #7,606 of 8,127
Hi guys Im looking for a portable DAP but a little bit lost with all the current options. My current Sandisk Clip Zip is coming to the end of its life and I cant source any more replacements also my experience with Alliexpress mp3 players has been a failure, usually due to crappy battery/hideous UI/non-functional shuffle playing the same songs over and over again so Im going to make the leap to proper DAPs.

Can someone recommend a decent little DAP with a physical volume wheel, okay UI (Rockbox?), decent battery and obviously decent sound (Im not obsessed with quality and power as you can guess from my history but I do like the ability to go loud).

Any help appreciated or is there another thread where the current options are listed or anything like that? Thanks.

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #7,607 of 8,127
I have the Walnut V2s, Nuansa P1, Walnut F2, ACMEE MF01, SURFANS F20, DODOCOOL DA106, QNGEE X2, ZIKU HD X9 and FIWWAT H10WS which all have volume wheel selectors. The Walnut, Zishan and Nuansa don't have screens.

The QNGEE and FIWWAT(smaller) are closest in size to the Sandisk Clip if that's a consideration

The Nuansa and the ACMEE with the Burson V5i OpAmp roll sound the best the SURFANS is close

It doesn't have a wheel but I replaced a similar device with a AGPtEK MG05W many years ago for using while doing the yard, Similar sound, sive and weight.
The FIWWAT sounds much better though

Feb 6, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #7,609 of 8,127
I've been comparing the Surfans, ACMEE, QNGEE all last week using a bunch of IEMs/Buds and they came out in this order ACMEE, Surfans, QNGEE.
The Surfans sound great but the ACMEE with the Burson OpAmp just has allot more presence(detail) and punch. Allot more 3D like in it's presentation and definitely an upgrade over its original Muse OpAmp. I like the BurrBrown sound and the Surfans is still a winner but being that George just said the old HiFi Walker H2 sounds better in his latest review, it has me curious but I have too many of these under $200 DAPs. My Zishan DSD AK4497 is also another standout sounding metal brick.

Feb 7, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #7,610 of 8,127
Thanks guys had a look at all your suggestions but nothing was really grabbing me and they seem to be all out of stock in Europe so I went with the one Ive been looking at for a long time, a Hidizs AP80 Pro in Red, thought about the Pro-X but it has no FM radio which I like when Im exercising or working. I know it has its drawbacks and niggles but tbh it sounds like exactly what I was looking for but most importantly it was in stock with a 15% off code, thanks again.

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #7,611 of 8,127
For those who want a really high quality DAP with a beautiful sound, but for a midrange price, Shanling designed their M3X, the X music player with awesome aesthetics, and good versatility. A few years ago, FiiO used to dominate the midrange market for DAPs, but now it is Shanling who keeps coming with awesome designs and beautiful sounds, so I hope my video review brings you joy this weekend, and don't forget to leave a comment if you have questions, as I'm always around to help~

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #7,612 of 8,127
For the F.Audio FA3 is there a possibility to edit the firmware (or at least the UI)?

For older Fiio and Hidisz players it was possible to extract the firmware package and change images, font, etc. They were essentially using the same underlying base system and firmware packaging.

With some firmware links earlier in this thread I managed to download the firmware for the FA3 but it seems a different format and I did not manage to unpack it. Anyone knows how to do it for F.Audio firmware?

Feb 12, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #7,613 of 8,127
For the F.Audio FA3 is there a possibility to edit the firmware (or at least the UI)?

For older Fiio and Hidisz players it was possible to extract the firmware package and change images, font, etc. They were essentially using the same underlying base system and firmware packaging.

With some firmware links earlier in this thread I managed to download the firmware for the FA3 but it seems a different format and I did not manage to unpack it. Anyone knows how to do it for F.Audio firmware?

It should be, not sure what tools are to be used though. It is using a similar model firmware to FiiO x5 series of DAPs, so should be doable, but I long lost the tools for this, should still be possible to find stuff in the FiiO threads

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #7,614 of 8,127
It should be, not sure what tools are to be used though. It is using a similar model firmware to FiiO x5 series of DAPs, so should be doable, but I long lost the tools for this, should still be possible to find stuff in the FiiO threads

I tried those tools already but could not extract the files.

Feb 12, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #7,615 of 8,127
Anyone know what dac chip is used inside Walnut F2?

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #7,616 of 8,127
Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #7,618 of 8,127
hey, what is the best dap under 150$ will fit with hifiman sundara?
I really liked the dx120 with the sundara, or the zishan dsd if you like a bit warmer sound

Feb 19, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #7,620 of 8,127
zishan Z4 is good?
i see Zishan H1 TUBE Amplifier its new dap?
Not sure about z4 but the h1 isn't very good, distorts like crazy at half volume, I rarely use it due to this, it could barely push my old he4xx so I don't know how it will due with Sundaras, but I know the dsd can drive it fairly well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back