Obscure Chinese DAPs
Nov 7, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #6,766 of 8,143
I don't know much about sub bass or why it's so important. So the Ziku X9 is a better buy even with no replaceable opamp?

Is the lack of sub bass the only problem in the X10? What music genres does this affect? Hip hop? I am assuming not all music genres are affected in a bad way?
Alot of new genres, hip hop actually has very little subbass, but rap, edm, some industrial, techno, drum and bass, and a bunch of newer genres.
I figure if your music doesn't have subbass then it's all good
But if they listen to new genres and want that sub bass rumble then the nano d3 or the qngee x2 would be better

I don't know about the x9, if it's better or not, but I have also read the X10 has a high output impedance, this will also color the sound a bit, specially in hybrid iems, some times in a good way (kz zs5) and sometimes in a bad way (kz zst)
The nano d3 and qngee x2 don't have that issue

Nov 7, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #6,767 of 8,143
I'm considering getting a zishan dad and installing a burson op amp. Is this a better purchase for my work daily driver than other cheap options. I have expensive daps for home use
Well I have have the Burson installed in my ak4490 dsd (works better in this circuitry compared to the ak4497 version) and I enjoy it Alot, it's a really good combo, but it didn't fit, had to cut the back of it out and fix a new lid, carefully extend the pcb connectors. But now I have an easy open door to slide my spare battery in and out

The diy part is half the fun, I am sure with the amount I have poured into my 2 dsd's could've gotten me a better DAP but I enjoyed modding

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #6,768 of 8,143
Not sure where to ask this so sorry if wrong place.
Do any DAP scrobble without being rockboxed?
I guess it would involve a DAP with Wifi (despite rockbox doing without but is a convoluted way).
I am looking into Cayin, Hiby, Shanling, Fiio, Hidizs… but open to other options.
I currently own Xduoo X20, iRiver H340, Sansa Fuze (there is rockbox for all of them but I am using Bluetooth more so I need to move away from Rockbox).

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #6,769 of 8,143
I'm considering getting a zishan dad and installing a burson op amp. Is this a better purchase for my work daily driver than other cheap options. I have expensive daps for home use

The burson V5i fits in the Z3 with no mods compared to its bigger siblings the DSD/T1
But some have built extended DSD cases to hold a bursin V6 on the bottom

I tried the V5i on my Z3 4490/4493 and Walnut V2s and ended up with a Muse02 in the Z3 4490 and Bursons and other opamps in the walnut

I don't consider my Ziku X09 is that significantly better than my Zishans or Walnut and the sharp edges QNGEE X2 makes it uncomfortable to hold or carry in your pocket
If I want more listening options I switch to my Activo CT-10 or Hiby R3 for access to either Tidal MQA or Qobuz albums I've downloaded to listen offline.

The Hiby R3 feeding the PVD2 or it's smaller USB stick DAC/Amp connected to the TIN P1 or Tape is currently my best sounding portable setup
Others are running the walnut F1 or Z3 through a burson or sparkos modded littlebear B4x for some tube warmth and punch thorugh it's balanced out

Nov 7, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #6,770 of 8,143
Awesome, can someone show these customized cases to fit the burson V6?

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #6,771 of 8,143
Picked up Ziku X10 from the Post Office today. So far, really pleased it sounds great. Some pops when first plays after being switched on / when finishes turning off, but can be avoided (eg removing earbuds before turning it off). Not had long with it and I've only really tried with the Monk+ so far. But no issues with the sound quality, certainly with rock/pop it sounds fantastic.

Nov 9, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #6,772 of 8,143
Awesome, can someone show these customized cases to fit the burson V6?
It's a few pages back, just search the thread, it was super clean work, really really well done

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #6,773 of 8,143
Picked up Ziku X10 from the Post Office today. So far, really pleased it sounds great. Some pops when first plays after being switched on / when finishes turning off, but can be avoided (eg removing earbuds before turning it off). But no issues with the sound quality, certainly with rock/pop it sounds fantastic.
The only problem I've found with the X10 is the battery life. I swear it only lasts 5-6 hours. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #6,774 of 8,143
The only problem I've found with the X10 is the battery life. I swear it only lasts 5-6 hours. :frowning2:

Agree with you there, the battery life isn't the best. I read the X9 has good battery life but is relatively low powered and more suitable for IEMs. So I guess it's a bit of a balancing act between driving power and battery life. Sort of like a sprint versus a marathon. None of my more interesting sounding DAPs have brilliant battery life.

Went on to play some music using the Asura 2 earbuds last night, The Clash, Scorpions and the new Eskimo Callboy album. Wow the sound through them and the X10 was gorgeous.

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #6,775 of 8,143

Agree with you there, the battery life isn't the best. I read the X9 has good battery life but is relatively low powered and more suitable for IEMs. So I guess it's a bit of a balancing act between driving power and battery life. Sort of like a sprint versus a marathon. None of my more interesting sounding DAPs have brilliant battery life.

Went on to play some music using the Asura 2 earbuds last night, The Clash, Scorpions and the new Eskimo Callboy album. Wow the sound through them and the X10 was gorgeous.

I'm wondering what volume u guys are using your X10s at? I saw somewhere that louder volume might drain the battery faster on DAPs.

I was deciding between X9 and X10 a few months ago but decided to stick with the former due to the longer battery life (~20 hours) since sometimes I don't have a convenient charging point for a few days. But if they released an X11 or something with the X10's features with a wicked battery life, I'll definitely be keen to purchase that.

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #6,776 of 8,143
Choosing among ruizu x50, walnut v2s, zishan z1, mrobo c5 (up to 30-35 dollars)

Dear friends,

I need help in my decision-making about the DAP.

In the past, I used Xduoo x2, cowon f2, cowon d2, iriver e100, benjie s5 etc., these were good devices for the price.

But now, all these are gone and I want to buy a player.

I have limited budget, probably 30 euros.

I want to decide among one: ruizu x50, walnut v2s, zishan z1, mrobo c5.

xduoo x2 was powerful in the volume output before it broke down, I want a device with high output like it. screen or any other feature is not important for me, it can be screenless like walnut and zishan models that I mentioned. I will use it with akg k518dj headphone.
My priority is the volume output, nothing else.

If you have suggestions, I will be happy, tomorrow, I will buy one among these.

Thank you for your urgent replies.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #6,777 of 8,143
I'm wondering what volume u guys are using your X10s at? I saw somewhere that louder volume might drain the battery faster on DAPs.

I was deciding between X9 and X10 a few months ago but decided to stick with the former due to the longer battery life (~20 hours) since sometimes I don't have a convenient charging point for a few days. But if they released an X11 or something with the X10's features with a wicked battery life, I'll definitely be keen to purchase that.

Likely too loud! I never get the quoted time on anything, I guess they're usually based on IEMs at a relatively low to medium volume. I didn't especially get it as a travel DAP. For travelling I'd take something lighter (and usually take 2 just in case!)

Nov 10, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #6,778 of 8,143
Choosing among ruizu x50, walnut v2s, zishan z1, mrobo c5 (up to 30-35 dollars)

Dear friends,

I need help in my decision-making about the DAP.

In the past, I used Xduoo x2, cowon f2, cowon d2, iriver e100, benjie s5 etc., these were good devices for the price.

But now, all these are gone and I want to buy a player.

I have limited budget, probably 30 euros.

I want to decide among one: ruizu x50, walnut v2s, zishan z1, mrobo c5.

xduoo x2 was powerful in the volume output before it broke down, I want a device with high output like it. screen or any other feature is not important for me, it can be screenless like walnut and zishan models that I mentioned. I will use it with akg k518dj headphone.
My priority is the volume output, nothing else.

If you have suggestions, I will be happy, tomorrow, I will buy one among these.

Thank you for your urgent replies.

With my aged ears, for $30 USD I'd go with the Walnut V2s no screen but plenty loud for anything so not for sensitive IEMs
You can mod the op amp as well
For less than $50usd you can also get the ZIKU 09 or 10 or the Zishan Z3

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #6,780 of 8,143

Users who are viewing this thread

Back