Obscure Chinese DAPs
Apr 15, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #4,711 of 8,143
My Opus #1 is dying, and i am looking for an affordable replacement. I have a Shanling M1 as my portable transport, so for better resolution and power I am ok with a slightly bigger footprint. Any recommendations? thanks!

Opus 1s? lol

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #4,713 of 8,143
Apr 15, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #4,714 of 8,143
My Opus #1 is dying, and i am looking for an affordable replacement. I have a Shanling M1 as my portable transport, so for better resolution and power I am ok with a slightly bigger footprint. Any recommendations? thanks!

Cayin N3

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #4,715 of 8,143

How did that happen?

How do you know it is dying? Opus in general tends to be pretty resilient

One advice I have is to look into Cayin N5ii, really great DAP.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #4,716 of 8,143

I thought people were having issues with the N5ii. . All I know is that the N3 is stable. A lot depends on if you need wifi and android features. I personally have no interest in streaming, Hiby, or Bluetooth. Would be nice to have two card slots though...like the Opus does. I do have the Opus...but I reach for the Cayin more. Partly because the Opus is so big.

Apr 15, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #4,717 of 8,143
I thought people were having issues with the N5ii. . All I know is that the N3 is stable. A lot depends on if you need wifi and android features. I personally have no interest in streaming, Hiby, or Bluetooth. Would be nice to have two card slots though...like the Opus does. I do have the Opus...but I reach for the Cayin more. Partly because the Opus is so big.

that is true, some folks have issues with N5ii, it is not absolutely stable yet, but it will be

As for me, I really don't use Streaming or such that much, but N5ii does sound really good for its price. Never heard N3, so it is hard for me to say how it performs :)

Apr 15, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #4,718 of 8,143
How did that happen?

How do you know it is dying? Opus in general tends to be pretty resilient

One day the touchscreen and / or ui just went crazy and will navigate by itself. And some ghosting when I use the touchscreen.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4,719 of 8,143
I'll second @Dobrescu George recommendation. I have the Opus #1s and the N5ii comes closest in sound quality of the others I have had the chance to compare and I really like the UI and screen layout. Extremely well done DAP. I'm not a user of streaming services which is part of why I went with the Opus to begin with but had the streaming and wifi features been more important to me, I think the N5ii would have gotten the nod.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #4,721 of 8,143
I really still do not understand why people like the Z3 so much compared to the S1. I think I feel very alone that the S1 has a better sound quality compared to the Z3, in addition to better construction and design. I think I said the same thing several times. In that sense I think that Zishan has created some very appreciated players and that is not easy. That is one of Zishan's values. It's my humble opinion. The only thing that the Z3 wins is that the interface is faster selecting songs than the S1, in addition to having a smaller gap between songs.
Have you compared a Z3 with many different opamps to the S1 or are you only comparing it to the opamp it comes with? Until it's compared with many different opamps there's no way to say the S1 sounds better than the Z3.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #4,723 of 8,143
Apr 18, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #4,725 of 8,143
Have you compared a Z3 with many different opamps to the S1 or are you only comparing it to the opamp it comes with? Until it's compared with many different opamps there's no way to say the S1 sounds better than the Z3.

It is possible that you are right.
I have only tested the LM4562NA and the LM4562HA. Looking at the Zishan forum I read that a good OpAmp was the LME49720HA. In Spain I could only get the LM4562HA because the LME49720HA is discontinued. The electronics store assured me that the LM4562HA is equal to the LME49720HA.
Could you recommend other OpAmp that sound better than the LM4562HA?
The difficulty in Spain of finding other compatible OpAmp at a good price may not be easy.
OpAmp Burson are not cheap and for the price of the set you may be able to buy another DAP more expensive and probably better. Surely there are many models below € 100 that I suppose will be better than Zishan Z3 + good OpAmp.
Perhaps in the end, adding all the expenses (LM4562HA, additional battery, new OpAmp, etc.) it is preferable to buy the new F.Audio XS-02, whose value at exchange is € 117 or another model of this price, definitely better, with lower Zout, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back