Obscure Chinese DAPs
Mar 28, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #4,636 of 8,143
I got it about week ago and I'm not super happy. The sound is ok but the firmware is far from smooth, with folder view only usable one.
It also struggles to play some of the higher quality files (despite the claims that it should).

I just pre-ordered Hiby R3, to replace this one.

P.S. It crashed (high pitch noise until turned off) as I was writing the above

Thank you very much for your reply!

Woah, guess I might've dodged a bullet in not buying a $150 gift card to get it. A big shame; the design of the player and its case looks absolutely STUNNING... not to mention that after a year of firmware updates, you'd think that after a year of firmware updates, it'd run better...

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #4,637 of 8,143
Thank you very much for your reply!

Woah, guess I might've dodged a bullet in not buying a $150 gift card to get it. A big shame; the design of the player and its case looks absolutely STUNNING... not to mention that after a year of firmware updates, you'd think that after a year of firmware updates, it'd run better...

To be honest, it may be also down to China quality control and my units is not so great, it arrived with a slightly chipped screen.
Reviewers I have seen don't seem to have this problem.

It definitely can't take 24/192 FLACs. It takes about 10 seconds to start the file and then it chokes every 5 seconds.

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #4,639 of 8,143
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #4,640 of 8,143
Mar 29, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #4,641 of 8,143
I got it about week ago and I'm not super happy. The sound is ok but the firmware is far from smooth, with folder view only usable one.
It also struggles to play some of the higher quality files (despite the claims that it should).

I just pre-ordered Hiby R3, to replace this one.

P.S. It crashed (high pitch noise until turned off) as I was writing the above
I had some time with the Hiby R3 at CanJam on the weekend. It is hands down the best entry-mid level DAP I've tried. I'm very tempted to jump on the Kickstarter even though I don't need another DAP.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #4,642 of 8,143
I just bought a couple new opamps... and will let you know what they sound like in my Walnut v2, Zishan Z1, and Z3.

I wonder though if I'm wasting money and should have just bought a better music player? (Which one for $150 US)

Opamp: LT1028 (one member said this was better than Burson, etc), AD825, AD8066 (Waze member says this is 1 of 4 to own) and MUSES02.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #4,643 of 8,143
I just bought a couple new opamps... and will let you know what they sound like in my Walnut v2, Zishan Z1, and Z3.

I wonder though if I'm wasting money and should have just bought a better music player? (Which one for $150 US)

Opamp: LT1028 (one member said this was better than Burson, etc), AD825, AD8066 (Waze member says this is 1 of 4 to own) and MUSES02.

I have the Bursons, the AD8066, and the Muses02 and the Muses is my go-to choice for the walnut F1. So far, it has the best overall combination of staging and tone of those I have tried. The Burson v5i is also great if you like rock or EDM but for classical and Jazz, I prefer the Muses although not by a lot.

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #4,644 of 8,143
I have the Bursons, the AD8066, and the Muses02 and the Muses is my go-to choice for the walnut F1. So far, it has the best overall combination of staging and tone of those I have tried. The Burson v5i is also great if you like rock or EDM but for classical and Jazz, I prefer the Muses although not by a lot.
I won't be buying the F1 but thanks. It's just an amp and not a music player, no?

I love rock and EDM, did I waste my money on all those opamps when I should just buy a Burson?

Your thoughts on AD8066?

Mar 30, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #4,645 of 8,143
True F1 is just amp but shares some of the circuitry design with V2.
On the Rock/EDM I don't think you wasted money on them as they are both good (Muses/AD8066) and will both serve well. I do think the Burson is slightly more mid forward which does make electric guitar a bit more vibrant.
The AD8066 strongest point is the bass and its weakest is probably coherency. Soundstage is quite large on the 8066 (bigger than Muses02 for sure) but instrument placement on that stage and imaging tend to be a little off somehow for me.
You may find the AD8066 is exactly what you are after with EDM arrangements where imaging isnt as big an issue as I did find it had good bass extension and good detail.

Where are you located? I might have a v5i sitting here somewhere I could send for you to try if it wont cost me a small fortune to mail it.

Mar 30, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #4,646 of 8,143

i have zishan z2 and imo it's in the same league with shanling m2s. z2 has better treble extension.

Mar 31, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #4,647 of 8,143
I prefer the F.Audio S1 over the Zishan Z2 and Z3. For me in the Zishan, a lot of detail is lost in the middle range and they modify too much the frequency response of the earphones with impedance below 100 Ohms. I'm using Z3 with LM4562HA.
The F.Audio S1 has an impedance measured by me of 9.3 Ohms
IMHO F.Audio S1 is brighter, better separation, better defined bass, clearer mids, more detail, the voices are more complete and better defined. It also has more scene.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #4,648 of 8,143
True F1 is just amp but shares some of the circuitry design with V2.
On the Rock/EDM I don't think you wasted money on them as they are both good (Muses/AD8066) and will both serve well. I do think the Burson is slightly more mid forward which does make electric guitar a bit more vibrant.
The AD8066 strongest point is the bass and its weakest is probably coherency. Soundstage is quite large on the 8066 (bigger than Muses02 for sure) but instrument placement on that stage and imaging tend to be a little off somehow for me.
You may find the AD8066 is exactly what you are after with EDM arrangements where imaging isnt as big an issue as I did find it had good bass extension and good detail.

Where are you located? I might have a v5i sitting here somewhere I could send for you to try if it wont cost me a small fortune to mail it.

RE: AD8066. When you say coherency, do you mean that it's not able to easily understand what's being sung/said? I like the sound that the Burson is mid-forward, as vocals are great to listen to, but I think them only semi--forward, not as much as that they get lost in the back. I think I'll buy the Burson anyway in time because everyone seems to love it so much. It won't be for a while though, as I just bought 4 others and still need to post a review.

Don't worry about mailing me a v5i, that's too much effort on your part. Thanks anyway. :)

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #4,649 of 8,143
i have zishan z2 and imo it's in the same league with shanling m2s. z2 has better treble extension.

That's good to hear, I heard the Z3 (what I have) is similar to the Z2 but it's not as good. Is a Z2 your "end game" player for a while? Are you happy enough with it to just swap an opamp here and there and be done?

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #4,650 of 8,143
I prefer the F.Audio S1 over the Zishan Z2 and Z3. For me in the Zishan, a lot of detail is lost in the middle range and they modify too much the frequency response of the earphones with impedance below 100 Ohms. I'm using Z3 with LM4562HA.
The F.Audio S1 has an impedance measured by me of 9.3 Ohms
IMHO F.Audio S1 is brighter, better separation, better defined bass, clearer mids, more detail, the voices are more complete and better defined. It also has more scene.
The S1 sounds great with your explanation, a worthy buy it seems. Benjie is a very reputable company and with the S5 just killed it for music listeners. Is the F Audio S1 even that much better?

I also use a Z3 but with a lme49710ha which I think is better than yours? Is your Z3 opamp stock?

Is it me or does your explanation on the F Audio S1 just knock the Zishan Z2/Z3 out of the park? I'm quite surprised there is only 3 sellers on AE with very few reviews while everyone is buying Zishan.

I think I'll buy an F Audio S1 player instead of a Burson V5i. You sold me. :) Why aren't that many people talking about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back