Obscure Chinese DAPs
Aug 12, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #3,211 of 8,143
I do like the A50 but I feel it has an issue in the frequency response above 10kHz. I didn't add this image in my review because I wasn't certain if there was something wrong with my measurements but there does seem to be a total drop-off at that point.

Could it be an specific problem on your unit? As long as I don't want it for critical listening (I'm also planning buying a more expensive DAP with balanced output), I think I could live with that, but it's really very strange, because even cheaper players maintain a good response near 20Khz. I see in your review that, even with the roll-off, you think it's sonically better than X10 and on par with C5 V2. Battery life is also a plus for me.

I have seen this one over a month ago but I don't like the looks of it. I am quite happy with the A50 and an M1 is on it's way from JoyBuy (only $95).

Yes, JoyBuy has some very tempting deals, like the M2s at 118€. I'll keep an eye for future purchases.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #3,212 of 8,143
I do like the A50 but I feel it has an issue in the frequency response above 10kHz. I didn't add this image in my review because I wasn't certain if there was something wrong with my measurements but there does seem to be a total drop-off at that point.

Man, if your graph is correct, I'd seriously think there must be a defect with your A50. There shouldn't be a drop like that

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #3,213 of 8,143
Nice that a mini player has some power but they gotta realize you want to maybe have it in a pocket or on your arm possibly and touch is not cool. Tactile buttons and folder skipping ability please :)

Wow, that treble doesn't look right and the A50 bass roll, while smooth, is also less than desirable.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #3,215 of 8,143
Sexy player! No DSD support listed :0(
Strange since even the ultra-budget DAPs are adding DSD support now but personally I think it's just a gimmick/marketing tool for the most part. File sizes are too restrictive to be a legitimate format, particularly for portable rigs. Having said that though, this has dual micro SD slots :ksc75smile:

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,216 of 8,143
Strange since even the ultra-budget DAPs are adding DSD support now but personally I think it's just a gimmick/marketing tool for the most part. File sizes are too restrictive to be a legitimate format, particularly for portable rigs. Having said that though, this has dual micro SD slots :ksc75smile:

The dual slots is what is so appealing with this player. Up until now it seems to have been the sole domain of xduoo.

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #3,218 of 8,143
The dual slots is what is so appealing with this player. Up until now it seems to have been the sole domain of xduoo.

When I got my xDuoo x3, having two card slots very important to me. Same with the Opus #1. Now that I have those I don't really require two slots on any other player.

I chose (and love) the Ruizu A50 because it is so small and pocketable.

I got the Saomao SM4 on impulse. It is a nice little player but I am finding a couple of issues that I hope will be addressed with a firmware update. The font is so tiny I need a magnifying glass. For real! It does not make a database from the contents of the microsd card (only from what is in the internal memory). Also it sometimes makes a little click at the beginning of the album and sometimes between songs. It is not gapless. I think it is cutting off the first second of songs. Kinda like the xDuoo x3 before rockboxing. Definitely needs an upgrade. Love the look and the small slim form factor.

The Cayin N3 that arrived yesterday is everything I had hoped the Saomai would would be and more. Beautiful player! A little bigger though...about the same size as the xDuoo x3.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,219 of 8,143
When I got my xDuoo x3, having two card slots very important to me. Same with the Opus #1. Now that I have those I don't really require two slots on any other player.

I chose (and love) the Ruizu A50 because it is so small and pocketable.

I got the Saomao SM4 on impulse. It is a nice little player but I am finding a couple of issues that I hope will be addressed with a firmware update. The font is so tiny I need a magnifying glass. For real! It does not make a database from the contents of the microsd card (only from what is in the internal memory). Also it sometimes makes a little click at the beginning of the album and sometimes between songs. It is not gapless. I think it is cutting off the first second of songs. Kinda like the xDuoo x3 before rockboxing. Definitely needs an upgrade. Love the look and the small slim form factor.

The Cayin N3 that arrived yesterday is everything I had hoped the Saomai would would be and more. Beautiful player! A little bigger though...about the same size as the xDuoo x3.

Yeah, the N3 is on my short list should I need a new DAP anytime soon. For now the X3 is holding up fine.

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #3,225 of 8,143
Don't forget RCA. My dog Molly even had her own membership. She eventually got credit card offers...lol.

I did special order quite a few things from my local record store and I was often given promos that they did not want. Plus there were used shops and of course cut-outs. I think most of us here understand obssession.

LOL! You 2 are giving away your age. Somewhere near mine. Let's just say old. I too tried Columbia House in my early obsession! Keep on rockin' you two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back