Obscure Chinese DAPs
Dec 11, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #1,817 of 8,152
And I hope the new models from Benjie,T6 and T8, will come out soon!

@To.M Wow, that's got me very excited! If the pictures of the T8 I just found are real then I'm going to be wetting my pants over that one. Can't wait!

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,819 of 8,152
  @To.M Wow, that's got me very excited! If the pictures of the T8 I just found are real then I'm going to be wetting my pants over that one. Can't wait!

Wet pants? Small price to pay.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,822 of 8,152
Is there any good Chinese DAP under $50 that can also be used as a usb dac? Just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

Not to my knowledge - afaIk, the Hidizs AP60 is the cheapest player that can also be used as USB DAC, however if you are using it with in-ears/headphones that extend very low and listen to music that also digs deep into the frequency cellar, you might notice some roll-off. Imo the HiFime DACs are a better solution as pure DACs, and their ($100) 9018d is excellent for driving in-ears, too (its only downside is that its noise floor is not the lowest).

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,824 of 8,152
pashhtk27,
Maybe that Walnut that many are talking about lately

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,827 of 8,152
  Yesterday I pulled out my Benjie K9 for a spin and have been using it all today. I'm amazed this thing didn't gain more popularity here, it's such a good unit. Meanwhile my FiiO X1ii is gathering dust because it's such a frustrating b***h to use and I only been using it for the line-out now and occasionally Bluetooth.

Really hoping the MROBO C5 ticks all the boxes for me, otherwise I'll stick to the Benjie.

Ah crap.

So guys I got the Benjie K9 today. Damn, am I disappointed. Thoroughly... THOROUGHLY disappointed. I'm gonna claim some sort of adjustment with the seller now, or maybe, well - $26 down the freakin drain.

Ok, let me tell you in detail.

(Deleted some of quote to remove wall of text.) 
Now the K9:
  1. Bigger. But bulky for no reason.
  2. Screen? What a stupid, super LOW RES, dull screen. I thought album-art would be fun. Boy was I wrong.
  3. Cheapo buttons... the S5 had much better button feel. MUCH better.
  4. Copy speeds are SLOWER than S5.
  5. SPEAKER? What the SH!T is THAT SPEAKER? WHAT IS IT FOR? My phones earpiece is better sounding - AND LOUDER. What a waste of space.
  6. It's damn SLOW! The player is SLOW. Album-art is simply too much for the Pentium 808 processor in here to handle. I can notice it struggle to keep up while switching songs.
  7. Earbuds. Damn. I bought this stupid player for the buds. What a fail that is. These are NOT the earbuds of the S5. No sir. The S55 has METALLIC GRAY buds. The K9 has white ones. The cables white on both, but the buds of the S5 are THE ONES YOU WANT. NOT THE K9 ones, mind you.
  8. User interface: Damn Sh!t! The menu is SO DAMN confusing. Volume needs another key to be pressed. And it takes it's time. The UI is so complicated. You don't know whats BACK/ Forward. I end up changing folders when I wanna change EQ. It's just... HELL. Such a STUPID choice of UI and buttons. It's a lost cause. This is the worst thing. The most terrible UI I've experienced on ANYTHING, EVER.

I've seen some of you enjoying the K9. I don't know why. Some of you even like the K9 buds. Guys, you have the wrong buds, trust me.

The only benjie buds you WANT... are GRAY. Not white. I've had one GRAY pair with my S5 ($26) and I got another pair of those GRAY buds from tabao (via mistertao.com) for $15. Those buds are fantastic. The white ones 7UCK!

Guys... I am sorry... SO SORRY if I made any of you buy the K9. Those with the S5... rejoice. You're with good stuff in your hands. Damn, the S5 is just better in every way. It has a very small screen, and just LED display, but it's completely practical and functional, for the form factor and price and stuff.

Not the K9. What a disappointment. AVOID - AT ALL COSTS!

??? 
I had thrown the K9 off my list of what to get to my first Dap because of the second quoted post but, now that I hear that it's "Such a good unit." 

Sorry, I don't want to cause a war here, but is the K9 worth my money to become my first Dap, or not? 
Thanks. 

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,828 of 8,152
??? 
I had thrown the K9 off my list of what to get to my first Dap because of the second quoted post but, now that I hear that it's "Such a good unit." 

Sorry, I don't want to cause a war here, but is the K9 worth my money to become my first Dap, or not? 
Thanks. 

I will recommend the S5 over the K9.
S5 wins hand down on SQ for me over the K9.
K9 is now my burn-in machine

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #1,829 of 8,152
  ??? 

Thanks. 

I don't know why AT Khan was so butthurt but obviously he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

1. The sound of the K9 is still good in my opinion, perhaps not as good as the S5 but it's a tradeoff for the TFT color screen which is clear with good colors AND very visible in sunlight. 
  2. Cheapo buttons? No idea what he's talking about here, the buttons have a tactile click and there's no looseness or rattle about them. 
  3. Copy speeds seem perfectly fine to me - better than my $140 FiiO X1ii.....
  4. Yes, the built-in speaker is rubbish but it's not meant for music listening.Pretty foolish if you expected that to sound good.
  5. Slow? Sorry, WRONG. There is ZERO interface lag, everything is snappy and responsive and switching songs is practically instantaneous - again it beats the X1ii here.
  6. Earbuds. LOL really you bought this for the earbuds? Fail. (besides mine came with the gray ones anyway)
  7. User Interface. Yes it's a little awkward and there are no dedicated volume buttons but I got used to it within a day or two. I find it easier and more intuitive to use than the NiNTAUS X10 (not to mention more snappy)

It's far from perfect but what can you expect for $24? It's a fun little all-rounder with decent screen and very good battery life.

If you want the best sound you're probably better off getting the S5. If you don't mind slightly lower audio quality and want a color screen that displays album art then go with the K9. Both players are INCREDIBLE value for money. If you haven't seen my review of the K9 you can find it here.

I wish you good luck with whatever you choose, just keep in mind that you're paying less than $25 so adjust your expectations accordingly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back