Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #7,231 of 7,481
I just stumbled in here after a long while and learned these sad news 😔 this is terrible news. My condolences to Tomas‘ family and close friends…
I ordered a silver citadel in Feb 2022. Tomas was super helpful and forthcoming to answer any of my stupid questions. After quite some back and forth I decided otherwise and went a different way with my amp. Tomas was very understanding and professional when I told him I wanted to do something else. The citadel I didn’t order in the end was earmarked for September 2022. this makes me sad 😞
Rest in peace Tomas.
Tack.

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #7,232 of 7,481
When I first started talking to Tomas about my amp I mentioned that I had all sorts of drive available from my preamp. He said that if that is the case we could actually skip the input tubes altogether. Apparently he made an amps like that for someone primarily using it with synthesizers. They can have quite hot outputs of 10v or even 12v. I wonder if that person hangs out here on head-Fi.

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #7,233 of 7,481
Speaking of Oblivion, anyone here that also opt with 6.3mm output? I just want to share a bit about Oblivion SE Mode.

When Oblivion switched to Single Ended mode (by toggle at the back), all output become single ended, include pre amp, speaker amp, and xlr 4 pin output. However, the amp itself still running fully balance and push pull. Even the output power also exactly the same. When I switched from SE mode to fully balance mode, I don't need to adjust the volume at all.

I asked my friend who know a lot about amp building, and he said that it is actually possible for tube amp to do this (not possible with solid state amp). I'm still not sure what the theory behind this, but I think it is really fascinating.

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #7,235 of 7,481
My Oblivion doesn't have 6.3mm output. Something I wish I had so I can plug my Grado phones in it. :) When you plug Grado into Oblivion, is it quiet?
Same here, i have a low impedance switch on my low profile Oblivion but can not use it due to balanced out put. Waiting for my 2 sets of shipibo and will cut the cords on all my Grados.

Apr 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #7,236 of 7,481
Speaking of Oblivion, anyone here that also opt with 6.3mm output? I just want to share a bit about Oblivion SE Mode.

When Oblivion switched to Single Ended mode (by toggle at the back), all output become single ended, include pre amp, speaker amp, and xlr 4 pin output. However, the amp itself still running fully balance and push pull. Even the output power also exactly the same. When I switched from SE mode to fully balance mode, I don't need to adjust the volume at all.

I asked my friend who know a lot about amp building, and he said that it is actually possible for tube amp to do this (not possible with solid state amp). I'm still not sure what the theory behind this, but I think it is really fascinating.
Not sure about this, it is either single ended or balanced, it can't be single ended and balanced at the same time. I don't know about Oblivion but it may be that either the 6.3mm output is balanced or that the XLR can output single ended by only having one side outputting through the XLR's.

Edit: I think I see what's happened. Sonic wouldn't have added SE wiring to the balanced output stage, what he did was just to provide a 6.3mm jack for convenience. If the jack was single ended, not the output stage, then only one side of the balanced output would come out of the jack.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #7,237 of 7,481
Same here, i have a low impedance switch on my low profile Oblivion but can not use it due to balanced out put. Waiting for my 2 sets of shipibo and will cut the cords on all my Grados.
I'll bite: what is shipibo?

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #7,239 of 7,481
Probably what was done with the single ended output - the balanced output transformers are wired balanced on the primary, and there is a switch to change from balanced to single-ended on the secondary. This is done by grounding one end of the transformer winding.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #7,240 of 7,481
My Oblivion doesn't have 6.3mm output. Something I wish I had so I can plug my Grado phones in it. :) When you plug Grado into Oblivion, is it quiet?

No hissing at all with Grado. Oblivion is the most "silent" tube amp I ever tried.

Not sure about this, it is either single ended or balanced, it can't be single ended and balanced at the same time. I don't know about Oblivion but it may be that either the 6.3mm output is balanced or that the XLR can output single ended by only having one side outputting through the XLR's.

Edit: I think I see what's happened. Sonic wouldn't have added SE wiring to the balanced output stage, what he did was just to provide a 6.3mm jack for convenience. If the jack was single ended, not the output stage, then only one side of the balanced output would come out of the jack.

Yeah I couldn't believe what I read too at first. This information wrote down in Oblivion manual instruction (that the amp still running in balance push pull regardless the output plug).

Probably what was done with the single ended output - the balanced output transformers are wired balanced on the primary, and there is a switch to change from balanced to single-ended on the secondary. This is done by grounding one end of the transformer winding.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #7,242 of 7,481
I might actually get a pair of headphones soon lol. They will mostly be for sparing my housemates my bleeps and bloops as I learn analog synthesis. It got me wondering how Tomas designed the output circuit for headphones. My amp is absurdly powered for headphones, I assume he put in some resistors to soak up extra output power. For those of you with both headphone and speaker connections, do you know how he wired them up?

May 11, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #7,244 of 7,481
I might actually get a pair of headphones soon lol.

You can use the speaker taps to connect your headphones. It won't blow the headphone if you turn up the volume gently. You will be surprised how good it sound. I have use it with Beyer T1 v2, HD650 and Verite Open.

This is the cable. You can have it terminated in xlr or 6.3mm

IMG_2057.jpg

May 11, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #7,245 of 7,481
You can use the speaker taps to connect your headphones. It won't blow the headphone if you turn up the volume gently. You will be surprised how good it sound. I have use it with Beyer T1 v2, HD650 and Verite Open.

This is the cable. You can have it terminated in xlr or 6.3mm

I had him put a standard headphone jack on the amp. Depending on the tubes I'm running, I could have up to 30 watts of output power. Really don't want to hook headphones up to my speaker outputs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back