Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 18, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #7,216 of 7,481
Oh man, so sad. I'm just getting back on Head-Fi after a hiatus and read this unfortunate news. RIP Tomas. Your amps will be forever legendary. :angel:

11861912.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #7,217 of 7,481
Thanks for the suggestion. I do still think the problem not from Oblivion though. I will take notes these suggestions just in case someday the crackling/static sound show up.

Midnight time here, and Oblivion as clean as ever. Still wondering what happended yesterday night, perhaps apartment unit beside me started to contact UFO or something lol.

Once those solder joints were fixed, it fixed 90% of the problem, but the noises appear less frequently now but have not been totally eliminated.

I put an inverter in series with the power supply and reads out the voltage coming from the plug. Those buzzing noises usually appear when the voltage drops from 220V to around 215V. This may potentially be a reason for the cause of your problem.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #7,218 of 7,481
Once those solder joints were fixed, it fixed 90% of the problem, but the noises appear less frequently now but have not been totally eliminated.

I put an inverter in series with the power supply and reads out the voltage coming from the plug. Those buzzing noises usually appear when the voltage drops from 220V to around 215V. This may potentially be a reason for the cause of your problem.
That would be an interesting thing to check. What inverter did you use?

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #7,219 of 7,481

That's really nice info man, thanks. Are you in UK or Indonesia nowadays?

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #7,224 of 7,481
I am so sad to see the news that the creator has passed away :frowning2:

I just bought a Focal Utopia to revitalize my interest in this hobby and this was the only amp that I held onto. The best of us really do die young :frowning2:, my condolences to Tomas and his family and friends. I will cherish this amp more than ever.

That sounds like a great pairing. The Oblivion really had the best of both worlds. I still miss it since it had character, speed, sweetness, without every sounding bloated. Great that you still have it and are enjoying it.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #7,225 of 7,481
That would be an interesting thing to check. What inverter did you use?
Dunno the brand it's just an off brand Chinese product. Mainly have it for safety as power cuts is still a thing where I was located.

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #7,226 of 7,481
That's really nice info man, thanks. Are you in UK or Indonesia nowadays?
Still in UK mate unfortunately. Didn't bring the amp with me and missing it dearly

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #7,227 of 7,481
Indeed. It's painful thinking about it so I have to move on....

And moving onto Grados and smaller punchier McChanson amps is what I do. Still Oblivion is in the picture. :)

IMG_5923.jpg

Please teach my tube amp how to have reproduction ability. I just noticed your tube amps collection are keep growing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back