Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Mar 25, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #7,111 of 7,481
Wow. That was fast.

There's something at work here. On my way home from my friend's place yesterday, where I spend 5 hours enjoying his stereo system. He has a parallel 6as7 SET amp using GEC 6as7g. This is a transformer coupled amp and output 2.5 watts. He also has a 2a3 / 45 amp that outputs 1.5 watt. Driving a pair of horn speakers / a bass unit with an efficency of 97db. It has the clarity of Susvara with a room filling soundstage. They were McChanson amps. Dollar for dollar they are the best value imho.

So as I was saying on my way home, my mind dwell on what has happened in the last few days here. I could not put in words what's going through me.

Then in that precise moment I got a call from the friend whom I sold Destiny to. He said hey buddy, would you mind if I sell off Destiny. I said you must be kidding. You ain't selling off my Destiny. That is my destiny ! I will buy it back. I still have the Full Music 300b tubes that was waiting for Telemachus.

So last night, my friend delivered Destiny back to me. Guess some things are meant to be?

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #7,113 of 7,481
There's something at work here. On my way home from my friend's place yesterday, where I spend 5 hours enjoying his stereo system. He has a parallel 6as7 SET amp using GEC 6as7g. This is a transformer coupled amp and output 2.5 watts. He also has a 2a3 / 45 amp that outputs 1.5 watt. Driving a pair of horn speakers / a bass unit with an efficency of 97db. It has the clarity of Susvara with a room filling soundstage. They were McChanson amps. Dollar for dollar they are the best value imho.

So as I was saying on my way home, my mind dwell on what has happened in the last few days here. I could not put in words what's going through me.

Then in that precise moment I got a call from the friend whom I sold Destiny to. He said hey buddy, would you mind if I sell off Destiny. I said you must be kidding. You ain't selling off my Destiny. That is my destiny ! I will buy it back. I still have the Full Music 300b tubes that was waiting for Telemachus.

So last night, my friend delivered Destiny back to me. Guess some things are meant to be?
… it is destiny 🤣🤣🤣

Mar 25, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #7,114 of 7,481
The x is actually an A, but discussion of the forum is banned on Head-Fi as Head-Fi is often criticized there. Probably not worth diving into the topic of what it is given the circumstances as any discussion will most likely be steeped in negativity.

We're like minded Keenan. I know what happened there and I don't talk about it. You're a bigger man if you don't dwell on tick for tat. Life is too short for that!

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #7,116 of 7,481
So @baronbeehive as I said, life will go on here. Destiny is home and sitting alongside Odyssey. When I told Eric that, he was beeming with pride.

IMG_5844.jpg

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #7,117 of 7,481
RIP Thomas...

Wow! I'm sitting down just trying to digest this and feel very shocked and sad about this news.

When I discovered Tomas's amps, I was thrilled. As an amateur builder, I was so impressed by him. I was not skilled enough to build an amp of this caliber. His circuit design and skills taught to him by MrCurwen, was the culmination from the greats in DIY audio like MrCurwen himself, George from Tubelab and Wavebourn. These circuits IMO were some of the most forward thinking designs to drive tubes. He was such a genuinely brilliant guy, only to be matched by his kindness. His love and genius showed both in his ability to recognize the advantages of these circuits and his thoughtful execution and understanding. I feel genuinely blessed to own one of his amps! I have heard many amps at local meets and I have yet to hear a better amp that captures detail, texture and conveys power like my Citadel. I'll definitely cherish it forever! I was listening to it when I unfortunately came upon this sad news.

I'm so sad to hear he had health problems! It's amazing how fast things can change. I also have a rare disease and almost passed away suddenly awhile ago in my late 30s due to a sudden complication. I bought one of his amps after this to enjoy life more in the present and I'm glad I did. Now when I look upon it, I will remember to appreciate the beauty of life and seek it out more. Life is truly fleeting and it's not worth letting the negative things around you obscure this. I wish Thomas could have spent more time with his new 300b amp.

I know the journey ahead for him will be full of beauty; running freely through the winds of space and time, to the bell's harmonic chime. I hope to meet you again Tomas, on the active side of infinity.

citadel.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #7,118 of 7,481
You Citadel is very beautiful with those big meters. I never saw it before, I guess there are a lot of amps he built but we did not knew. Maybe one day we will make a complete inventory of what he built with pictures and links, a kind of archive. It would be interesting. Even a few words from every owner.

Mar 26, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #7,120 of 7,481
My ultimate amp was to be a 300B Citadel.

I think it is a shame that Tomas' ideas in amp design go to rest with him.

Do you know anyone who would like to continue develop these ideas? Maybe we could join together our ideas and create this amp in his name?
First one being named the SonicTrance 'Tomas'.

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #7,121 of 7,481
Yep, horn speakers go very well with low power amps. Do you know what speakers they were?
So @baronbeehive as I said, life will go on here. Destiny is home and sitting alongside Odyssey. When I told Eric that, he was beeming with pride.

IMG_5844.jpg
Great story 👍👍.

Mar 26, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #7,122 of 7,481
I got told off by Sonic for using too many posts so here goes:

You Citadel is very beautiful with those big meters. I never saw it before, I guess there are a lot of amps he built but we did not knew. Maybe one day we will make a complete inventory of what he built with pictures and links, a kind of archive. It would be interesting. Even a few words from every owner.
Great idea!
My ultimate amp was to be a 300B Citadel.

I think it is a shame that Tomas' ideas in amp design go to rest with him.

Do you know anyone who would like to continue develop these ideas? Maybe we could join together our ideas and create this amp in his name?
It would have to start by being reverse engineered.
First one being named the SonicTrance 'Tomas'.
Good idea!

I know the principles of the amp but my own experience stops well short of building a complete amp, I have only gone so far as mod my Little Dot, so it would be beyond me. There was talk of incorporating some of the ideas into existing amps but nothing has come of it yet.

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #7,123 of 7,481
I got told off by Sonic for using too many posts so here goes:

Great idea!

It would have to start by being reverse engineered.

Good idea!

I know the principles of the amp but my own experience stops well short of building a complete amp, I have only gone so far as mod my Little Dot, so it would be beyond me. There was talk of incorporating some of the ideas into existing amps but nothing has come of it yet.

Tomas had mentioned Mika Kalm aka MrCurwen in his website, but I see that he has not been online on this forum since 2020. Tomas had mentioned extra transformers for DHTs like 300B.

In fact there were discussions of this being a two chassis build, one for power supply, another for the drivers and 300bs.

I know absolutely nothing about electronics or amp building, so I can only help by funding.

Do you know any other amp builders who might be interested in carrying out Tomas' designs?

Mar 26, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #7,124 of 7,481
Tomas had mentioned Mika Kalm aka MrCurwen in his website, but I see that he has not been online on this forum since 2020. Tomas had mentioned extra transformers for DHTs like 300B.

In fact there were discussions of this being a two chassis build, one for power supply, another for the drivers and 300bs.

I know absolutely nothing about electronics or amp building, so I can only help by funding.

Do you know any other amp builders who might be interested in carrying out Tomas' designs?
No I have heard nothing of MrCurwen since then he is no longer here on headfi. Him and Sonic worked well together, I had some acquaintance with him but was not up on the theory enough to be of any use in going any further. MrCurwen didn't have any interest in builds himself at least not in a professional way AFAIK. I don't have any interest myself in amp builds due to the time consuming nature and the demands of learning the build process.

I don't think there are any circuit diagrams so if anyone has any soldering skills they could try to take apart one of the amps and recreate it themselves but what to do if they run into problems would be tricky as it might be difficult to understand what Sonic had done what he did without any theory knowledge.

There might be one of two from other threads but I don't think any of them are in any position to be any help in amp builds atm.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #7,125 of 7,481

Users who are viewing this thread

Back