Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Oct 16, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #6,586 of 7,492
Haha!!! Naming no names, I was mainly annoyed with these people on youTube who state categorically that one thing is better than another. I prefer to go by the evidence. I have nothing at all against people liking one thing more than another 😉.
And I'll just throw this out here: IME, it ultimately comes down to the particular recording. I have some LP's that sound way better than any digital format of the song/album I've heard, and I have some CD's that sound way better than the LP recording(s) I have. I listen to whichever recording sounds best without fretting about which format is in play. I will say, however, that a bad LP recording is preferable to a bad CD recording. The first is just flat/boring, while the second one can be painful. :laughing:

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #6,587 of 7,492
And I'll just throw this out here: IME, it ultimately comes down to the particular recording. I have some LP's that sound way better than any digital format of the song/album I've heard, and I have some CD's that sound way better than the LP recording(s) I have. I listen to whichever recording sounds best without fretting about which format is in play. I will say, however, that a bad LP recording is preferable to a bad CD recording. The first is just flat/boring, while the second one can be painful. :laughing:

^^^ This is 100% fact. The mastering of the music (for either format) makes ALL the difference.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #6,588 of 7,492
Telemachus on night ops...

Attachments

• IMG20221012014138.jpg
    IMG20221012014138.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 17, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #6,590 of 7,492

This has been hashed and rehashed so many times, it's common knowledge but my question is, why would you still be keeping a poorly recorded LP or CD? It goes into the bin or use as coasters. :relaxed:

Oct 18, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #6,591 of 7,492
This has been hashed and rehashed so many times, it's common knowledge but my question is, why would you still be keeping a poorly recorded LP or CD? It goes into the bin or use as coasters. :relaxed:
Sorry, my fault for airing my prejudices on this thread, must try to keep quiet in future 😩.

Oct 18, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #6,592 of 7,492
IMG_20221015_081303.jpgIMG_20221015_081032.jpg

Got myself some new drivers and rectifiers from LinLai... Will post impressions tomorrow if I get some listening time.
How are you liking your Odyssey so far? I'm getting closer and closer to my build month and love seeing pictures of yours.

Oct 18, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #6,593 of 7,492
Posted this over on the pentode thread but figured I put it here too just so @SonicTrance knows what a psycho he’s actually dealing with:)

I’m a sick, sick man. My new Ultrasonic Studios amp hasn’t gotten here yet (soon though!) and I have been planning my next amp already. Basically I want a version of what I have right now, a single ended pentode amp. The Dennis Had Inspire KT88 Firebottle is a remarkable amp. Single ended pentode with auto bias and by changing rectifier tubes you can use output tubes ranging from 6f6 up to kt88. Power output ranges from 3ish watts up to a whopping 10 or so. I want the same amp but designed around lower power tubes like the kt61, 6aq5, etc. that max out around 250v. To help get around the low power I would want it to be a parallel single ended with two or three(!) tubes per side. Of course I would want switchable, or even better variable, heater voltages. And if I’m greedy I would like to switch between ultra linear and pentode. What the hell, why have a cheap output transformer?:)

The thing is, single ended pentode amplifiers are tricker to design than triode. You need to have regulated screen supplies. And while feedback is optional with triode amps, it is essential with pentode ones. There are many different kinds of feedback; local, global, cathode, Schade, etc. Some of those require careful pairing with the output transformer. Getting out of the engineering mindset and into the artistic one is a rare skill for amp designers but it is a necessary one when it comes to balancing feedback schemes. Dennis Had (he’s the one that founded Cary amps and is responsible for the popularity of single ended amps in the US IMO) has the formula nailed. Not only do his amps sound amazing, they sound amazing with a variety of tubes. The trouble is I don’t think I can convince him to build to my specs. And even if I could I’m not sure I could afford it lol.

Anyway, yeah, the thought has crossed my mind lol.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #6,594 of 7,492
How are you liking your Odyssey so far? I'm getting closer and closer to my build month and love seeing pictures of yours.
I really enjoy it. As I said, mainly for insensitive headphones. Especially if you are listening to classical for the low passages.

Base, is changed radically, in presence and amount.

For classical I like triode, acoustic the same. Rock ultralinear. Also from 6SL7 to 6SN7 there is a change. 6SL7 I find has more "base" or exeggeration. These LinLai 6SL7, while I am sure are not the best, I really like. They are "milder" than the Tung-Sols

Oct 18, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #6,596 of 7,492
Posted this over on the pentode thread but figured I put it here too just so @SonicTrance knows what a psycho he’s actually dealing with:)

I’m a sick, sick man. My new Ultrasonic Studios amp hasn’t gotten here yet (soon though!) and I have been planning my next amp already. Basically I want a version of what I have right now, a single ended pentode amp. The Dennis Had Inspire KT88 Firebottle is a remarkable amp. Single ended pentode with auto bias and by changing rectifier tubes you can use output tubes ranging from 6f6 up to kt88. Power output ranges from 3ish watts up to a whopping 10 or so. I want the same amp but designed around lower power tubes like the kt61, 6aq5, etc. that max out around 250v. To help get around the low power I would want it to be a parallel single ended with two or three(!) tubes per side. Of course I would want switchable, or even better variable, heater voltages. And if I’m greedy I would like to switch between ultra linear and pentode. What the hell, why have a cheap output transformer?:)

The thing is, single ended pentode amplifiers are tricker to design than triode. You need to have regulated screen supplies. And while feedback is optional with triode amps, it is essential with pentode ones. There are many different kinds of feedback; local, global, cathode, Schade, etc. Some of those require careful pairing with the output transformer. Getting out of the engineering mindset and into the artistic one is a rare skill for amp designers but it is a necessary one when it comes to balancing feedback schemes. Dennis Had (he’s the one that founded Cary amps and is responsible for the popularity of single ended amps in the US IMO) has the formula nailed. Not only do his amps sound amazing, they sound amazing with a variety of tubes. The trouble is I don’t think I can convince him to build to my specs. And even if I could I’m not sure I could afford it lol.

Anyway, yeah, the thought has crossed my mind lol.

This is something you will never be able to get from the known commercial offerings. Custom tube amp builders are quite rare and Tomas is a gem to deal with. I don't he has any idea how many types of tube amps he will produce when he started out with just Oblivion and Citadel. :)

Oct 18, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #6,597 of 7,492
This is something you will never be able to get from the known commercial offerings. Custom tube amp builders are quite rare and Tomas is a gem to deal with. I don't he has any idea how many types of tube amps he will produce when he started out with just Oblivion and Citadel. :)

I’ve talked to Dennis a few times about the general subject. Think I could get a regular 6v version of the amp I described. Doubt he’d do the switchable voltage though, think he has a few power transformers that he has standardized on. Dunno if Tomas would be interested in taking on that build wither, it’s admittedly a little out there. It’s all moot though, I won’t be able to do any audio purchases for another year at least and certainly not at the price this would likely cost.

Oct 18, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #6,598 of 7,492
What else would I send you for Christmas? 🤣 🤣

Oct 18, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #6,600 of 7,492

Users who are viewing this thread

Back