Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Oct 5, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #6,571 of 7,481
Odyssey requires triodes for input tubes. The 6v6 is a pentode. In theory you could triode strap them and use a pair for each side as long as the power supply could handle it. But that’s a lot of fuss. Especially when it is so much easier to use great sounding twin triodes.

I have seen preamps that use triode strapped 6v6 as their tubes. If you are going to go down that path also look at the 6aq5. They are the same as a6v6 but in a smaller bottle. They are slightly downrated for power but they sound amazing and are even cheaper than the 6v6:)
Very helpful, thanks @Isaacc7. In Feliks Euforia AE triode strapped pentodes wok beautifully in both driver and power position, with appropriate adapters. I think that may be unique to Felik's circuit design, although I am no expert, and may differ on that basis from Odyssey's compatibilities. I will study up on 6aq5, although I am rather partial to the aesthetics of the shouldered 6V6G. Here are Brimar 6V6G's driving Ken-Rad 6Y6G's:

Brimar 6V6G & Ken-Rad 6Y6G in Euforia AE (9-30-22).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #6,572 of 7,481
Very helpful, thanks @Isaacc7. In Feliks Euforia AE triode strapped pentodes wok beautifully in both driver and power position, with appropriate adapters. I think that may be unique to Felik's circuit design, although I am no expert, and may differ on that basis from Odyssey's compatibilities. I will study up on 6aq5, although I am rather partial to the aesthetics of the shouldered 6V6G. Here are Brimar 6V6G's driving Ken-Rad 6Y6G's:

Brimar 6V6G & Ken-Rad 6Y6G in Euforia AE (9-30-22).jpg
Well sure, the 6v6g will always win a beauty contest against a 9 pin tube lol. On the other hand I can actually afford the Mullard, Telefunken, and Brimar 6aq5:)

Oct 5, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #6,574 of 7,481
Triode strapped pentodes work also on UltraSonic amplifiers but it depents if you need a dual or single adapter. I used for example EL3N in input in both ways, via 6SN7 or 6J5 slots and like them a lot. They sound more precise and crisp than I was able to hear them on Elise. But the limiting factor in my case is the trimmer for manual grid bias. It can provide me a maximum of -13V and many of the other output designed pentodes/tetrodes need more than this for only 4mA. For example, if I remember correctly, 6V6 was around -17V.

Here you can see EL3N with KT88.

1664989117743.png

The other Eternity model has a bigger trimmer, so it can accomodate more types from these. But as I said, remember that these do not sound exactly the same as on F.A. amps. In my case it was an improvement, because on Elise I always found EL3N a little bit "muddy" and imprecise. Here, it's a charm.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #6,579 of 7,481
Ha no! I can see why it's potentially superior to vinyl. I won't be spending a fortune I haven't got on purchasing tapes or equipment though! I get the arguments on naturalness and warmth etc., but I like the convenience, and longevity of CD's and when paired with a good tube amp to put in a touch of warmth I don't really see much reason to change.
All original masters up until around the late 90's were done on high speed reel-to-reel - that is, basically every recording of the 1920's - 90's were recorded this way in the studio before transfer to vinyl, then later to CD, etc. so YES to say it's potentially superior to anything would be an understatement. Such a system is my ultimate goal as a source.

Also to add my 2c to a previous format war - I believe than any reason for vinyl being 'superior' to CD has only to do with the fact that this format is more likely to be derived from an originally analogue source that was never digital (save for new records that source from digital files that were mastered on a PC's DAW). So any format could sound better or worse, depending on how well the mastering is and how analogue it is. CDs OTOH rely heavily also on the quality of the AD converter which is the digitization process.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #6,580 of 7,481
All original masters up until around the late 90's were done on high speed reel-to-reel - that is, basically every recording of the 1920's - 90's were recorded this way in the studio before transfer to vinyl, then later to CD, etc. so YES to say it's potentially superior to anything would be an understatement. Such a system is my ultimate goal as a source.

Also to add my 2c to a previous format war - I believe than any reason for vinyl being 'superior' to CD has only to do with the fact that this format is more likely to be derived from an originally analogue source that was never digital (save for new records that source from digital files that were mastered on a PC's DAW). So any format could sound better or worse, depending on how well the mastering is and how analogue it is. CDs OTOH rely heavily also on the quality of the DA converter which is the digitization process.
Agreed, mastering, and production... and playback... is the key, not vinyl or CD! I still don't believe vinyl sounds better, it is just different and some prefer that sound, I still prefer the clarity of CD's. I also don't believe that anyone can hear the digital frequency sampling that goes on at 44.1khz or more, that is 44.1 thousand times per second.

Another bugbear of mine is high res, I have heard great sounding CD's, and indeed sometimes even MP3, all down to the production quality! Also can people really hear at >20khz and <20hz? CD's cover that range of frequencies and also cancel out any noise which may still be present in analogue to give that warm sound that analogue lovers like. Well mastered and produced CD's sound as good as high res. So I remain sceptical of all this.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #6,581 of 7,481
For the record, I never said vinyl has better resolution than digital. I said it sounded better. more natural and all die hard vinyl fans will agree with me. It's the same comparison of tube amps vs solid states.

Differences of opinions there will be and I will leave it at that.

Oct 16, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #6,583 of 7,481
Oct 16, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #6,584 of 7,481
For the record, I never said vinyl has better resolution than digital. I said it sounded better. more natural and all die hard vinyl fans will agree with me. It's the same comparison of tube amps vs solid states.

Differences of opinions there will be and I will leave it at that.
Haha!!! Naming no names, I was mainly annoyed with these people on youTube who state categorically that one thing is better than another. I prefer to go by the evidence. I have nothing at all against people liking one thing more than another 😉.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back