Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 15, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #6,301 of 7,481
As a side note - can someone explain what the blue glow is, and why whole tubes produce it more than others? Could it be that the KT66 are pushed closer to their peak range than KT170s are?
It usually means that the tube is gassy. But since you run new production tubes I doubt they're gassy.

These 2 new add-ons, Triode Mode/UL and Switchable Rectifier are available for all models or only for Odyssey/Telemachus? In other words, can I have a Citadel build which includes these alongside 12/6V one?
Triode/Ultra linear is only available for Odyssey (if using other transformers than Sowter as they've stopped supplying the screen tap). You need to have a pentode output tube to run UL mode so can't be done in Telemachus as the 300B is a triode. What UL mode means is you run the pentode tube somewhere between triode and pentode mode. UL will have more gain and distortion than triode but not as much as full on pentode connection.

Citadel is a constant current draw amp. I would not build it with anything else than a regulated power supply as it goes against the topology of the amp. The output is parafeed in all the "modern" amps so UL connection is out as well, only triode strapped pentodes :)

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #6,302 of 7,481
Citadel is a constant current draw amp. I would not build it with anything else than a regulated power supply as it goes against the topology of the amp. The output is parafeed in all the "modern" amps so UL connection is out as well, only triode strapped pentodes :)
Good to know, I was somehow foreseeing this. In other words, on Citadel we can put tube rolling (manual grid biased) and maybe 6/12v switch for heaters and that's it.

Sep 15, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #6,303 of 7,481
I think your "audio-gd" themed Odyssey is my favourite build from Tomas (from the design/looks point of view). It always reminds me I have a small audio-gd NFB-11.28 DAC around here. These 2 new add-ons, Triode Mode/UL and Switchable Rectifier are available for all models or only for Odyssey/Telemachus? In other words, can I have a Citadel build which includes these alongside 12/6V one?
I too find it the most aesthetically balanced and pleasing. Tomas did a great job with planning and spacing everything.

I am however.... Biased!

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #6,304 of 7,481
I too find it the most aesthetically balanced and pleasing. Tomas did a great job with planning and spacing everything.

I am however.... Biased!
Exactly what I was thinking when considering my Odyssey build options!

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #6,305 of 7,481
It usually means that the tube is gassy. But since you run new production tubes I doubt they're gassy.

Happens on my Genalex 300b tubes too and they are new tubes. I doubt they are gassy. Lovely blue glow though that I don't see on the Psvane 300b tubes (left in picture).

IMG_2434.jpg

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #6,306 of 7,481

Triode/Ultra linear is only available for Odyssey (if using other transformers than Sowter as they've stopped supplying the screen tap). You need to have a pentode output tube to run UL mode so can't be done in Telemachus as the 300B is a triode. What UL mode means is you run the pentode tube somewhere between triode and pentode mode. UL will have more gain and distortion than triode but not as much as full on pentode connection.

There are two reasons for blue in tubes. Gas is one of them. That will look like a m ore general blue glow. Specific parts of the tube glass going blue is fine, it is caused by electrons hitting the glass and causing fluorescence. I’ve never actually seen a gassy tube but I have plenty of tubes that show blue in the dark. Cameras exaggerate the blue so you’ll never see blue in real life like you do in pictures. Oh, the other reason you can see blue glows is if the amp uses mercury vapor rectifiers. Doubt Thomas will be making any amps like that though.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #6,308 of 7,481
IMG_20220914_165648.jpg

An afternoon session. This time it is some classic CCR. 192/24 from Qobuz. This time in UL. I feel this gives more presence and vitality to the music especially drums and guitars.

Stunning picture. Odyssey is a good looker besides sounding amazing.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #6,309 of 7,481
These tubes are not the most refined, but they present the music with much loved "substance" or "density". With Odyssey Shire's voice seems limitless, effortlessly roaming across the vocal spectrum, with nothing holding it back. Instrument separation and staging are "life-like" as always with Odyssey.

Again, I have never heard the HE-6SE perform this good.

Having live with He6se + Odyssey and now Susvara, the difference is not subtle. He6se v2 performs very well at that price but Susvara powered by Odyssey is nirvana to me. Susvara is 3 months old now and every listening session is an amazement to my ears.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #6,310 of 7,481
Having live with He6se + Odyssey and now Susvara, the difference is not subtle. He6se v2 performs very well at that price but Susvara powered by Odyssey is nirvana to me. Susvara is 3 months old now and every listening session is an amazement to my ears.
And and TC. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #6,312 of 7,481
Having paid for the bulk of the cost for Telemachus, I'm afraid TC is not in my roadmap for a long while. :)

I've to hear Susvara from Telemachus to satisfy my itch or question about whether it's better with KT88 or 300b amp.
Telemachus is a worthy endeavor, one I'm currently deliberating or a custom 300B from Thomas Mayer.

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #6,313 of 7,481
As a side note - can someone explain what the blue glow is, and why whole tubes produce it more than others? Could it be that the KT66 are pushed closer to their peak range than KT170s are?

Happens also on my ATS25. Do not worry, enjoy it, it is quite nice.

1663310400486.png

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #6,315 of 7,481
Interesting ! Let me know how your 300b journey turns out.
Broke. Currently using Supratek with Elrog pair and XT DAC with Elrog quad. Why not blow hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back