Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 15, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,971 of 7,481
Just been looking for 12Ax7 tubes as you do

What are you using 12ax7 for? I have not been particularly fond of small tubes until now. They are small and hard to preserve the words that are painted on the tubes. However, I'm liking these small tubes tone now. There's a precision and clarity.

I wasn't specifically looking for 12ax7, I was looking at 12at7 as the gain factor is 60 which is what my mind thinks is ideal for my setup. :) However I realized now that all 3 types of 12au7, 12at7 and 12ax7 are perfectly suitable in Odyssey. I don't know how Tomas set them to be compatible in Odyssey but they are.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2,972 of 7,481
Yes EL39 is right up there. In the same family as 4654 (same tube - different base), EL50, 4699, etc. Predecessor to EL34. I've recently found a match to a 4654K that I had. Pretty tough to find. I'll post a picture later. 807 is closer to 6L6 I think, and in my DAC and preamp I prefer the EL34 (and relations) and KT66 over the 6L6.

You have some interesting tubes there but I am trying to steer clear of paddle feet. 807 and 6L6 are indeed cousin but 807 has higher voltage. That's why I can use it in Odyssey and not 6L6. McChanson amps can use the 6L6 family and I do love the tone. However I won't say that I love it more than the other tube types. The whole range of tube types in KT**, EL**, 6550, etc are all very interesting. EL34 indeed are one of my favorite types. I am looking to purchase a pair of EL34 metal base next from my supplier.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,973 of 7,481
What are you using 12ax7 for? I have not been particularly fond of small tubes until now. They are small and hard to preserve the words that are painted on the tubes. However, I'm liking these small tubes tone now. There's a precision and clarity.
It's what I use in the baby amp, the Miniwatt, (APPJ). Yes, tone and clarity is indeed good with them. The smaller tubes and the thinner, shorter pins are said to reduce interference which the longer pins would act as aerials to attract such interference. So a lot of tube addicts prefer them.

Also I look on poor print on tubes as a good sign. It's a sign that the tubes are genuine!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,974 of 7,481
EL34 indeed are one of my favorite types. I am looking to purchase a pair of EL34 metal base next from my supplier.
I'm curious about these, as the successor to my APPJ, ie. the updated model used EL34's if I remember.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,975 of 7,481
It's the 4th day with Odyssey now. In my correspondence with Tomas while the built was going on, I kept reminding him that I would like the amp to be very quiet with pitch black darkness especially with low impedance headphones. He had to rebuild the power supply to achieve that. Didn't specifically tell me what he actually did but that he had to rebuild the power supply and that he got it to where he was satisfied that it is quiet.

Odyssey is very quiet even with He1000se, 35 ohms. Very quiet and very clear but the bass can be thunderous when called for. I can listen to classical now because of the dynamics and the quietness in the soft passages of music. It can be very delicate and can hit very hard. Listening to blues and classic rock is a joy. Metal head fans will be delighted. It is liquid, it is wet, it can be dry, there are a myriad of tube tones from the quick run through of using different drivers and power tubes. Even changing from GZ34 to GZ32 rectifier cause a change in tone.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #2,976 of 7,481
My guess too. It's not like they made production runs of "medical grade" tubes -- they were likely just tested with the best ones selected. Could have been done at the factory, but I've never seen any information elsewhere to support that. Brent Jesse has a lot of good information, but some of what he posts on his site is only his opinion rather than verifiable fact. I could certainly be wrong about the tips being painted at the factory, but Brent Jesse is not the source that would convince me otherwise.
So are saying that my Sylvania labeled GE 6AK5 tube with the blue tips aren't worth more than the 99c I paid?
1629053822695.png

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,978 of 7,481
You have some interesting tubes there but I am trying to steer clear of paddle feet. 807 and 6L6 are indeed cousin but 807 has higher voltage. That's why I can use it in Odyssey and not 6L6. McChanson amps can use the 6L6 family and I do love the tone. However I won't say that I love it more than the other tube types. The whole range of tube types in KT**, EL**, 6550, etc are all very interesting. EL34 indeed are one of my favorite types. I am looking to purchase a pair of EL34 metal base next from my supplier.
You don't have to be afraid of paddle feet tubes as long as you get get good sockets - not the Chinese ones.
There is an ST type EL6 that is similar to EL12, a tubular EL6Spez and even an EL6 Spez with an anode cap that is similar to the EL12Spez. These tubes are 1.3A and 1.2A.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el6.html
1629054366258.png

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el6spez.html
1629054447758.png

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el6spez_telefunken.html
1629054498101.png

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,979 of 7,481
I am looking to purchase a pair of EL34 metal base next from my supplier.
Telefunken or Philips? Three different getter types with the Philips - which is only of note to collectors, as I haven't found any sonic differences :). My favorite EL34 are the ones made just after the metal base. These have a brown base with DD getters at the top. Made from 1957 - 1960 in the Sittard factory.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,980 of 7,481
Those are very nice tubes but I've so many different types already. There's always room for more isn't it? I may get adapters for paddle feet to KT88 later.

I'm still trying to digest EL11 in Odyssey. They are so quiet in Odyssey now. When I use them in GOTL with adapters, there will be some slight soft noise that would bother me. It's perfect now. Dead quiet and the unmistakable tone of Telefunken EL11. Love it.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,981 of 7,481
Telefunken or Philips? Three different getter types with the Philips - which is only of note to collectors, as I haven't found any sonic differences :). My favorite EL34 are the ones made just after the metal base. These have a brown base with DD getters at the top. Made from 1957 - 1960 in the Sittard factory.

I believe they are Philips. I actually had the metal base and brown base with DD getters at the top put aside for me. :)

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #2,982 of 7,481
Painting the tips of my small tubes might be my next past time. :relaxed:
I'm sure you would make a better job than mordy on his tubes :relaxed:.

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,983 of 7,481
You have some interesting tubes there but I am trying to steer clear of paddle feet.
Why? Surely they would be an advantage for when your golf balls end up in the lake 🤣.

Sorry but I saw a chance to get in there before bcowen!

Aug 15, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #2,985 of 7,481

Users who are viewing this thread

Back