Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Feb 7, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,126 of 7,484
@UntilThen
I'm very glad that an "amp roller" like yourself is still enjoying your Oblivion! :)

I love Oblivion but now I am determined that I will have you build me another tube amp that is the classic tube amp tone (SET) that will respond well to tube changes. Specifically I want to use KT88, KT77, KT66, EL34, 6L6GC, 6550 with drivers such as 12AT7 / 12AU7 (unless you think 12AX7 is necessary or other drivers as you advise - maybe 6SL7 or 12SL7 ? the latter I have a pair of NOS TS bgrp which I LOVE) and preferably with auto bias but if I have to manually adjust bias, it must be very easy like flicking a switch. I want no hassles but just to enjoy music with the tube amp. Doable? I'll be talking to you privately. So rather than thinking about a Mogwai Se or another custom amp, I'm looking to you as my amp designer and builder because I have every confidence that if you could produce Oblivion to sound so good, you would know how to do this other amp I have in mind and I want Infinity kind of looks. I want 8w or 10w into 8ohms. That should drive my speakers beautifully and also my future Susvara and He6se. I'm excited already !

@UntilThen - are you using stock tubes with your Oblivion? or did you load the amp with multi-thousand $ tubes?

Of course. You can't tube roll in Oblivion and you don't need to. It sounds absolutely gorgeous as it is.

I am also curious whether anyone experienced any RF interference issues with the top-cap tubes?
I have limited experience, trying 6F8G tubes (with adapter) on my CTH amp. RF interference was so bad - I had to unplug my wifi access point :scream:

Not a whipser, hum, hiss or RF interference from my top cap tubes in Oblivion. I hold my iPhone next to it and no issues at all - except it say "Hello". :ksc75smile:

Feb 7, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #1,127 of 7,484
Not a whipser, hum, hiss or RF interference from my top cap tubes in Oblivion. I hold my iPhone next to it and no issues at all - except it say "Hello". :ksc75smile:
Which tubes are you using? Stock? or NOS tubes that cost more than the amp?

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #1,129 of 7,484
For Oblivion I’m just using stock tubes.
Thanks. After reading your enthusiastic impressions - I was curious to know if that is the expected experience "out of the box" or whether you need very expensive tubes to release the magic. You answered that one for me.
(now if I only had physical space for 1-more amp... :wink:)

Feb 7, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #1,130 of 7,484
Thanks. After reading your enthusiastic impressions - I was curious to know if that is the expected experience "out of the box" or whether you need very expensive tubes to release the magic. You answered that one for me.
(now if I only had physical space for 1-more amp... :wink:)

First of all, you need 2 racks and when you have filled that up, you need a 3rd rack.

The beauty of Oblivion and Citadel is you don’t need expensive tubes to make it sound good because tubes don’t make much difference- that is different type. A little bit but not much difference.

The best way for me to describe Oblivion tone is to think of it as being on the opposite side of tha spectrum from Auris Nirvana, the made in Serbia amp is warm and lush. Oblivion is about details and clarity but with some tube tone influence. What I would like is to have 2 tube amps such as these because the contrast will fulfill all my needs. Oblivion is very quiet, cool running all the hallmarks of a lovely tube amp.

So I want to talk to Tomas if he can produce an amp with a lot more 2nd harmonic distortions. He may already have in the Infinity.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #1,131 of 7,484
@UntilThen
I'm very glad that an "amp roller" like yourself is still enjoying your Oblivion! :)

I almost read that as tube roller lol but the truth I'm both tube and amp rolling. Fact is I did not roll for the sake of rolling. I am trying to determine my sound signature. In the ss amps that I have, there are several with a very nice signature, such as the v280. For the classic tubes amps, both Wa22 and LF339i present their very unique tone that varies a lot with tube changes. Here it is important to understand why people such as myself roll tubes because we are trying to get the tone that our ears like. We are not doing for show or for the fun it. For instance, a Bendix 6080 sound very different from TS 5998.

I love Oblivion because it is so unique and also for the clarity, details, airiness and very wide soundstage. The tone is even a little sweet. Certainly not your clinical, sterile ss amp because this is not an ss amp. It has tubes as input. The fact that I find it sounding better than even the Elekit TU-8200 with Sylvania 12au7 and Gold Lion KT77 says something about Oblivion. He1000se is a very revealing headphone and Oblivion just turn that notch up further. It's a revelation !

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #1,132 of 7,484
I am also curious whether anyone experienced any RF interference issues with the top-cap tubes?
I have limited experience, trying 6F8G tubes (with adapter) on my CTH amp. RF interference was so bad - I had to unplug my wifi access point :scream:

I use Tung Sol 6F8G in the Wa22. It's whisper quiet. No hum hiss for me. Whether the router is near or not makes no difference for me. The TS 6F8G bgrp is a very good tube.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,133 of 7,484
For Oblivion I’m just using stock tubes. For Elekit TU-8200 then I bought all those expensive NOS GEC KT66 and EL34.
At least they were not KT88s...😳😬😢... 691F33F7-21B0-45E4-A835-B9E9DDC9A07F.png

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #1,134 of 7,484
GEC KT88 NOS tubes are not for the faint hearted. I sometimes question the logic of spending AUD$1100 for a pair. Quad pair from my supplier is AUD$2200. If I were to buy those NOS tubes I'd be reluctant to burn it.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #1,135 of 7,484
First of all, you need 2 racks and when you have filled that up, you need a 3rd rack.
I already have 2 racks, and both are filled up. I am not joking (for a change)!
No physical space for a 3rd rack... sigh...

I use Tung Sol 6F8G in the Wa22. It's whisper quiet. No hum hiss for me. Whether the router is near or not makes no difference for me. The TS 6F8G bgrp is a very good tube.
I wonder why my experience is different :frowning2:
Tried several different 6F8G tubes, and 2 different adapters (to 6922). Including 1 from an audiophile who used it with zero issues. Still loud hum. I wonder why :thinking:

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #1,136 of 7,484
I already have 2 racks, and both are filled up. I am not joking (for a change)!
No physical space for a 3rd rack... sigh...

Picture please :)

OMG my combo of Elekit TU-8500 and TU-8200 have me grabbing the power pole. I'm using Brimar 12au7 long plates and Philips Miniwatt 6CA7 xf2 in TU-8200 and Philips Miniwatt 12au7 in TU-8500. I'll post picture in the Elekit TU-8200 thread.

Feb 8, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #1,137 of 7,484
I'm also proud owner of a moded CTH amplifier, and can confirm that this amp is not the cleanest in respect to heating hum and rfi sensibility.
To fight against rfi what i still do is to enclose tubes in a metal can on top of the amp, what i did also is to add small ferrite on the wire near the cap. Adding ferrites can also have some unwanted effect if you add too much.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,138 of 7,484
I'm also proud owner of a moded CTH amplifier
moded how? Mine is stock, other than using the adapter...

what i did also is to add small ferrite on the wire near the cap. Adding ferrites can also have some unwanted effect if you add too much.
Tried that. Zero change for me.

Sorry for derailing the Oblivion thread guys... I was just concerned about RF interference due to very bad experience with top cap tubes in the past, and the Oblivion uses such tubes!

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #1,139 of 7,484
I love Oblivion but now I am determined that I will have you build me another tube amp that is the classic tube amp tone (SET) that will respond well to tube changes. Specifically I want to use KT88, KT77, KT66, EL34, 6L6GC, 6550 with drivers such as 12AT7 / 12AU7 (unless you think 12AX7 is necessary or other drivers as you advise - maybe 6SL7 or 12SL7 ? the latter I have a pair of NOS TS bgrp which I LOVE) and preferably with auto bias but if I have to manually adjust bias, it must be very easy like flicking a switch. I want no hassles but just to enjoy music with the tube amp. Doable? I'll be talking to you privately. So rather than thinking about a Mogwai Se or another custom amp, I'm looking to you as my amp designer and builder because I have every confidence that if you could produce Oblivion to sound so good, you would know how to do this other amp I have in mind and I want Infinity kind of looks. I want 8w or 10w into 8ohms. That should drive my speakers beautifully and also my future Susvara and He6se. I'm excited already !

I think we need to talk in private :)
Sorry for derailing the Oblivion thread guys... I was just concerned about RF interference due to very bad experience with top cap tubes in the past, and the Oblivion uses such tubes!
IME tubes that has a grid cap is much more sensitive for noise pickup than tubes with anode caps. An input tube grid is very sensitive for noise. What @hpamdr suggested would work. Also get an adapter with shielded grid wire could work. I've never had noise problems with tubes that has anode caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back