Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
May 19, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #736 of 7,481
The input stage in Oblivion is where you would notice most change in sound from tube rolling. This is because the input stage is SE and more prone to pick up any distortion from the tube (the input tube do have a flat load line because of the gyrator plate load, so it's always working in its linear region) than the output stage which is balanced and cancel out most of the distortion
I was able to detect some difference but not in usual ways and they all had same high resolve.

Like @Phantaminum says, the 6AT6, or 6AV6, depending on configuration are the input tubes
From the data sheets, it looks like they should be interchangable in the Oblivion, correct?

Has anyone tried rolling the input tubes? I have the 6av6 in mine and I saw some cheap nos pairs floating around. Might give it a try. Curious to see how a pair of GE or RCA 6av6 would sound.
Yes you should try rolling as they are low price, and even if the differences are in the last 5% ( like cables), it would be interesting to see if you can detect any.
:)

2 x Mullard 6AT6 Holland Tubes
Those are my favorites.
I will post more about my tiny difference choices.

Do you now prefer the Apex Teton or Eddie Current amps best?
Both amp companies use oddities.
The Teton with odd OTL tube configuration using ony one(!) output tube for both sides(?!).
Then you have the EC with odd usage of super tiny tiny driver tubes.

Apologies for nocking on them.
It's not that they aren't great amps...
Just why have choices that would also be considered flaws?

Instead of those two, I personally would choose a way more traditional tube choice & configuration like Glenn or Cayin, and there's nothing that one amp has over another in resolution, only tube sound.

But still, all of them are still based upon old school topology, (dressed up with modern heater circuits.)

This thread has proven that "old-school" topology is sort of a concession of design, which will in turn, rely heavily on parts quality.
Literally almost all of the best amps have already been mentioned in this thread in subjective or direct comparisons.

So none are (true) hybrid, and, most importantly, none are using lower cost tubes like the Oblivion/Citadel.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #737 of 7,481
From the data sheets, it looks like they should be interchangable in the Oblivion, correct?
No because I use fixed grid bias. The 6AT6 runs at -2 Vg and 6AV6 at -1.5Vg. If you run a 6AV6 in a 6AT6 amp it will be very non-linear and if you run a 6AT6 in a 6AV6 amp it will pull too much current.

May 19, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #738 of 7,481
No because I use fixed grid bias. The 6AT6 runs at -2 Vg and 6AV6 at -1.5Vg. If you run a 6AV6 in a 6AT6 amp it will be very non-linear and if you run a 6AT6 in a 6AV6 amp it will pull too much current.
Ooo so good to know.

May 19, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #739 of 7,481
I was able to detect some difference but not in usual ways and they all had same high resolve.

Yes you should try rolling as they are low price, and even if the differences are in the last 5% ( like cables), it would be interesting to see if you can detect any.

Those are my favorites.
I will post more about my tiny difference choices.

Both amp companies use oddities.
The Teton with odd OTL tube configuration using ony one(!) output tube for both sides(?!).
Then you have the EC with odd usage of super tiny tiny driver tubes.

Apologies for nocking on them.
It's not that they aren't great amps...
Just why have choices that would also be considered flaws?

Instead of those two, I personally would choose a way more traditional tube choice & configuration like Glenn or Cayin, and there's nothing that one amp has over another in resolution, only tube sound.

But still, all of them are still based upon old school topology, (dressed up with modern heater circuits.)

This thread has proven that "old-school" topology is sort of a concession of design, which will in turn, rely heavily on parts quality.
Literally almost all of the best amps have already been mentioned in this thread in subjective or direct comparisons.

So none are (true) hybrid, and, most importantly, none are using lower cost tubes like the Oblivion/Citadel.

I wouldn't consider it flaws but trade-offs.

The Teton works really well with one output tube for both sides. It's for high impedance headphones and it has one of the clearest sound, widest sound stage, tallest images, with some of the best separation, and resolve. The Teton is a very forward amp and for people looking for a laid back sound stage that's also holographic, well you might want to look elsewhere.

Glenn's amps are fantastic for its price. Very holographic, throws up big images, and it's bombastic when it comes to its presentation. You can also roll tubes to fit the tone/timbre you'd like. On the other hand, it needs a more careful interaction when compared to other amps. I've blown expensive tubes (I was drunk) and one of my headphone drivers with it (a tube that was working before ate it). You have to be very picky with the tubes as most have a background hiss or noise which was picked up because of my ceiling fan. The Teton doesn't have this issue or the EC unless it's a very crap tube. The driver tube size also don't mean anything. Whether small or big, again the implementation is what matters.

The Oblivion is a great amp and pairs especially well with the Auteurs, Ananda, and Verum One.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #740 of 7,481
I wouldn't consider it flaws but trade-offs
Yes I would agree fully as there is different ways to reach endgame.

Most of those amps still achieve a top level, making it a preference choice, so a personal one.

Debating on which is the best,
is like debating on cable selections.
Depending on the headphones, they all fall within that last 5 to 10% of quality attainable.

I personally am very happy with the Oblivion, due to the clarity and soundstage, which I feel is it's strength.

Other amps have other strengths, like bass punch, or tube euphorics, but like you said it, it's all trade-offs for what you want.

Plus, matching your headphones and source gear can easily add and/or compensate to the end result.
As long as the end result is enjoyment.

So in the end, I feel these points mentioned are still important to know, when your making your own choices.

May 24, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #741 of 7,481
Clarity and soundstage is evident here in this setup. Listening to 'Roll The Seven Twice' by Tangerine Dream, Arya sounds amazing through Oblivion.

IMG_0574.jpg

May 24, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #742 of 7,481
Clarity and soundstage is evident here in this setup. Listening to 'Roll The Seven Twice' by Tangerine Dream, Arya sounds amazing through Oblivion.

Ha.. another one of my old favourites lol!

May 24, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #743 of 7,481
I'm listening to the original motion picture soundtrack - 1917 by Thomas Newman - 'Up The Down Trench'.

With the Audeze LCD-X through Oblivion with low impedance - it's wicked bass. :)

IMG_0573.jpg

May 24, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #744 of 7,481
I've blown expensive tubes (I was drunk) and one of my headphone drivers with it (a tube that was working before ate it).
What caused the headphone driver to blow? One of the tubes blew and that’s what caused damage to the driver? I remember seeing somewhere a tube blow and taking out headphones is something that can easily happen with OTL amps.. why is that?

May 24, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #745 of 7,481
A defective tube may emit an explosive pop that blows out the headphone driver. It is not a common thing, but it could happen. The best policy is always to turn on your system for a couple of minutes and then plug in cheap headphones to make sure everything is OK.
It is cumbersome, but much better than having all the aggravation and spending a lot of money fixing your headphones.

May 24, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #746 of 7,481
That’s a pretty good idea. Iv been looking at a couple OTL amps but after reading about the possibility of taking out the headphones, It made me a bit uneasy.. but I guess if I take precautions, it isn’t a common occurrence. One of the amps I was looking at was a 300B otl amp, but Iv never seen anyone else use a 300B in an otl configuration.. any reason as to why they aren’t commonly used? I think a nice otl would compliment the oblivion nicely.

May 28, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #747 of 7,481
That’s a pretty good idea. Iv been looking at a couple OTL amps but after reading about the possibility of taking out the headphones, It made me a bit uneasy.. but I guess if I take precautions, it isn’t a common occurrence. One of the amps I was looking at was a 300B otl amp, but Iv never seen anyone else use a 300B in an otl configuration.. any reason as to why they aren’t commonly used? I think a nice otl would compliment the oblivion nicely.
The 300B is not suited for OTL use as the internal resistance is too high. They're also DHT tubes that requires separate regulated DC filament supplies, so paralleling a bunch of them to get the impedance down would be a real hassle (and expensive).

May 28, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #749 of 7,481
They can definitely fry headphones if a tube shorts in some circumstances. There is no output transformer protecting your cans, just a resistor and a capacitor in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back