Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Mar 3, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #648 of 7,484
Just as good with planar as with dynamics. I end up using high impedance mode with my Citadel and Abyss since there's more power.

+ you don't have to worry about the impedance curve or the dampening facort for low z planars like low z dynamics.

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #649 of 7,484
I am editing this post to correct my findings.

On the Oblivion output tubes, when I swapped between the el81 tesla & Mullard, I ended up preferring the stock and Tesla tubes there, which to me felt more solid, over the Mullard, which felt a tiny bit sloppy, for lack of a better word. ..

The Oblivion 6at6 driver tube
display a varied sense of immediacy and energy.

Here is my list on the driver tubes:

1-mullards 6at6, my favorites now as the amp is most vivid and alive with those tubes over the rest.
It seems to add some harmonics which enchance liveliness.

2-My second fav is tung-sol 6at6, which gave me great bottom end punch and nice even clarity and stage.

3- My third fav was my philco, which were lively yet a bit more forward.

4- The stock Tungsram tubes were actually very good, striking a balance of relaxed delicate detailing, and one of largest soundstage.

5- The Silvana I tried was very neutral and nice trebles, but touch leaner on bottom range, maybe due to it being NOS and needing break in..

6- The zenith came in last, as balanced but least involving, as probably needing alot burn in.

So my fav tubes are the mullard & tungsol in driver stage (sonic traits), and the Tesla or stock tubes in output stage(solidity traits).

Should also be noted that differences detected were of a much lesser magnitude than most other tube amps I tried.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #651 of 7,484
What is interesting is that instead of focusing on tube coloration, whe can now focus on other less tangeable aspects of tube rolling, to find what if any differences are left?
:)

Mar 9, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #652 of 7,484
So, about the HEDD, yes I received it but it's just not for my tastes so it'll be going back to headphones.com.
I know most are enjoying their HEDD very much, but I just don't feel the same way about them.

No, I never owned the 1266 but I've borrowed the original & Phi CC from TCC and had the TC here as well, but due to their fit I passed on them.
I did own the Susvara & HE6se & 800S at one point, but didn't care for the 6se or the 800S too much and preferred the HEKv2 over the Susvara.
Even though I've listed my WA33, if I don't get any interest,I've no problem whatsoever keeping & enjoying it as I've done since owning it because it is an incredible amp. I also like change and don't like to have too much gear, so downsizing is more than fine with me.
Wow I'm shocked you didn't like the HEDDphone with your Citadel. These can be very picky on system synergy. I remember though how floored I was with their pairing on the PrimaLuna Evo 200 tube amp. Did you by chance also happen to try it on any other amps, and if so, did you get better results? And would you mind to tell me which aspect of it didn't you like, for example micro detail, soundstage, dynamics, or other?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #653 of 7,484
Pick up a HD650 on the weekend and I can't believe how good Oblivion makes it sound.

IMG_0177.jpg

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #655 of 7,484
I always wanted to hear the 650's but never had the chance. Glad to hear it's a good pairing with Oblivion!

Had a HD650 before but it sounded dark and warm to my ears. Now with Oblivion driving it, it's airy and there's details and it's less warm now. :) The magical mids of HD650 makes this a no brainer AUD $250 purchase.

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #656 of 7,484
Wow I'm shocked you didn't like the HEDDphone with your Citadel. These can be very picky on system synergy. I remember though how floored I was with their pairing on the PrimaLuna Evo 200 tube amp. Did you by chance also happen to try it on any other amps, and if so, did you get better results? And would you mind to tell me which aspect of it didn't you like, for example micro detail, soundstage, dynamics, or other?
I tried (and I'm still trying) the HEDD w/ GS-X mk2, WA33, Citadel and as I've mentioned before, I find the HEDD to sound good, but that's about it. I totally prefer my Utopia & HEKv2 to it, by far. I don't find the sound-stage to be expansive, nor the depth, and I also don't find the detail retreival to be as good as what I've read or expected. The bass is nice, but I feel it lacks authority and solidity, it's a bit soft too my ears. I also find the sound to be directed inward towards the center of my head. This is a small companies first attempt at a headphone, so it's very possible their units vary which is why I'm not hearing what others are.

Mar 9, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #657 of 7,484
I always wanted to hear the 650's but never had the chance. Glad to hear it's a good pairing with Oblivion!

Hi ST,
Copying this from a recent post of mine:
If anybody has an interest in the Sennheiser HD650, Drop (formerly Massdrop) can sell you a new one for $195. So far they have only sold 94,200 of them.....
Seriously, I think that it is encouraging that there still are many people out there that care for good sound.

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #658 of 7,484
Wow I'm shocked you didn't like the HEDDphone with your Citadel. These can be very picky on system synergy. I remember though how floored I was with their pairing on the PrimaLuna Evo 200 tube amp.
Thanks to joseph69 , I was able to hear the "HEDDphone" as well.
I think member " DecentLevi" may have misunderstood, as it's still a nice headphone, and I did not feel that it was amp picky at all, at least not the one I heard.

Yet I can confirm and agree pretty much exactly what member joseph69 said. He has a good ear I noticed.

At first, I felt is was juicy and thick, but very busy..

Upon further comparison to some others, I felt like the low level midrange detailing was elevated into the same space, without the depth of the others.
It had a closer soundstage, somewhat like a top closed can.

It also had some coloration in the low end, which was not bad, but bass impact did not hit the ear like the others.
Instead, a softer non-directional impact was heard, causing it to sound a bit vague in bass transient hits.

All the top cans have more complete attributes, like more soundstage and clarity, but that doesn't mean the HEDDphone was bad.
For instance, I would consider it a viable choice over a maybe a Verite or empyrean, but not over any HEK version, hd800, Susvara, Abyss, Utopia or even a Focal Clear.
IMG_20200308_170743.jpg

Apologies if this sounds brutal, but it should not be. It should be considered a good Headphone as it is still musical and non offensive.

I tried (and I'm still trying) the HEDD w/ GS-X mk2, WA33, Citadel and as I've mentioned before, I find the HEDD to sound good, but that's about it. I totally prefer my Utopia & HEKv2 to it, by far. I don't find the sound-stage to be expansive, nor the depth, and I also don't find the detail retreival to be as good as what I've read or expected. The bass is nice, but I feel it lacks authority and solidity, it's a bit soft too my ears. I also find the sound to be directed inward towards the center of my head. This is a small companies first attempt at a headphone, so it's very possible their units vary which is why I'm not hearing what others are.
I have to agree fully.
But I am thinking the rave reviews comes from initial euphoria, and not comparisons.
:)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #660 of 7,484

Personal impressions are just that. What works for others may not necessary works for you and vice versa. Headphones are very personal in terms of tone, fit, comfort and looks. Count ourselves fortunate that there are so many headphone manufacturers and models. Ultimately if you like how a headphone sound and can live with it for the long term then that's all that matters. Of course there's also system synergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back