Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #6,976 of 7,481
Speaking of Vanderveen, he has some really interesting design ideas for SE 300b amps, have you read any of his stuff?
Please link that stuff

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #6,977 of 7,481
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #6,978 of 7,481
Feb 9, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #6,979 of 7,481
@SonicTrance which transformers did you end up going with? Did you get the fancy amorphous cores or stick to the regular? Were you able to compare the sound quality or measurements between the Monolith and another brand? The general wisdom is that better transformers give you better sound but I’ve never been in a position to compare. I have no complaints with the sound coming through the Monolith transformers but I wonder if I’m just engaging in justification for buying such expensive transformers lol.

If I do another amp I’ll probably get the transformers from Vanderveen. That’s the other company I have heard nothing but praise from. Plus the toroids would give a different look to the amp. I swear I’m not thinking of another amp! I can quit anytime I want!:)

Speaking of Vanderveen, he has some really interesting design ideas for SE 300b amps, have you read any of his stuff? He also has a couple of transformers made just for headphones. Wonder if either of those could be useful for the fanatics here?
I chose the regular S11’s. So, 5k load impedance to get a flatter load line and less distortion from the 300B’s.

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #6,981 of 7,481
Looking forward to Telemachus although I can't see how it will be better than Odyssey with Susvara. :wink: A few weeks of hiatus from headphone listening and firing up Odyssey this early morning and I'm just blown away from what I hear. The Miniwatt EL34 metal base were what's left in there when I last heard it and it's incredible. The fiery glow of the tubes burning as brightly as it sings and strangely Frank Sinatra was singing 'I did it my way' at the same time.

IMG_5773.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back