Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 11, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #5,926 of 7,481
Well it's finally here after being stuck in customs for nearly a month!
I am aware that Tomas soak tested the amp before posting it out but an hour after being plugged in it's sounding highly engaging.
I go on holiday for a week tomorrow so will have to continue the burn in after that.
Tomas has been a dream to deal with all the way through the process.
20220811_132639.jpg

Aug 11, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #5,927 of 7,481
I am aware that Tomas soak tested the amp before posting it out but an hour after being plugged in it's sounding highly engaging.
I go on holiday for a week tomorrow so will have to continue the burn in after that.
20220811_132639.jpg
I’m glad it finally arrived! Happy listening! :)

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #5,928 of 7,481
I half expected you were the owner of this Telemarchus, Alvin. Congrats.

After clearing out some gear, I have the funds to buy an Abyss 1266 TC. Now I'm torn between that or put myself in the queue for a Telemarchus. :relaxed:

I have the same pair of 6f8g drivers + adapters except mine is Tung Sol black glass round plates.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #5,929 of 7,481
I half expected you were the owner of this Telemarchus, Alvin. Congrats.

After clearing out some gear, I have the funds to buy an Abyss 1266 TC. Now I'm torn between that or put myself in the queue for a Telemarchus. :relaxed:

I have the same pair of 6f8g drivers + adapters except mine is Tung Sol black glass round plates.
Thanks UT. I am currently running a pair of rca 6f8g and a "lowly" pair of EH300b. Because I have the dual option of ss or tube for rectification I started off with ss but have just popped in a Mullard 5u4g. Not a lot of difference really but I suspect the Mullard is past it's best, even so great sound. Plenty of detail with no edginess.
Only problem at the moment is the temp here in the NW of the UK is above 30c and the Tele is one big radiator.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #5,930 of 7,481
Thanks UT. I am currently running a pair of rca 6f8g and a "lowly" pair of EH300b. Because I have the dual option of ss or tube for rectification I started off with ss but have just popped in a Mullard 5u4g. Not a lot of difference really but I suspect the Mullard is past it's best, even so great sound. Plenty of detail with no edginess.
Only problem at the moment is the temp here in the NW of the UK is above 30c and the Tele is one big radiator.

Was Hexfred used as the solid state rectifier? Surprised that ss and tube rectification make not much of a difference. Tomas did a superb job with tube rectification. I'm used to 30c or more having been in Singapore and Australia. Fan or a/c is necessary when it's hot.

I noticed you did not opt for speaker outs. A clean cut 300b amp that is of course very appealing. I'm always for 'less is more' in an amp. Odyssey for all it's options, is still a very simple amp. :relaxed:

What are the 3 rca input behind for?

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #5,931 of 7,481
Was Hexfred used as the solid state rectifier? Surprised that ss and tube rectification make not much of a difference. Tomas did a superb job with tube rectification. I'm used to 30c or more having been in Singapore and Australia. Fan or a/c is necessary when it's hot.

I noticed you did not opt for speaker outs. A clean cut 300b amp that is of course very appealing. I'm always for 'less is more' in an amp. Odyssey for all it's options, is still a very simple amp. :relaxed:

What are the 3 rca input behind for?
Will let Tomas jump in with the info on the ss rectifier, thought I heard mention of Maida, could be wrong. Have replaced the Mullard 5u4g with a Mullard GZ34 and sounding much better, airier and greater heft.

Not used to high temps, usually raining or overcast in the Manchester area.

This is a strictly single ended headphone amp that I hope will be with me for a very long time. My CAD 1543 dac has usb in and rca out and it is sublime so the rest of my rig has been built around it.

The third rca is for signal grounding.

You know Tomas's amps well and I doubt you will have regrets if you decide it's the path you would like to follow.

Aug 11, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #5,932 of 7,481
GZ34 tightens up the sound. I could have been happy with just GZ34. Tomas single ended amps, with fast transients and traditional tube tone goodness sound amazing. I spend too much time with Susvara and Odyssey because the resultant sound is a very powerful stimulant that arouse energetically the mind, body and soul.

Where Telemachus differs from Odyssey is the use of grid driver that drives the 300b grid. This should be an even faster transients listening experience with Telemachus as compared to Odyssey. Of course 300b is uniquely different from KT88 or EL34.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #5,933 of 7,481
20220811_132639.jpg
Awesome!!!!

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #5,936 of 7,481
Wow out of 3 toss, twice tails and once heads. :scream:
And none in the middle? Either this is outright discrimination or your tossing abilities are lacking. 🤣

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #5,937 of 7,481
And none in the middle? Either this is outright discrimination or your tossing abilities are lacking. 🤣

I think it's fated. I was hoping it lands in the middle because then I don't need to spend money. So I was trying the hardest to get it to land in the middle but it's just impossible.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #5,939 of 7,481
Well there you go! 300b in your future?

It's already decided by the coin toss. Will talk to Tomas. 3 Ultrasonic amps to service Susvara. This headphone sound incredible from Odyssey and Oblivion. I expect no less from Telemachus. I suspect it might sound the best from 300b. Reports from Canjam that Susvara and Envy sound amazing.

Aug 11, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #5,940 of 7,481
It's already decided by the coin toss. Will talk to Tomas. 3 Ultrasonic amps to service Susvara. This headphone sound incredible from Odyssey and Oblivion. I expect no less from Telemachus. I suspect it might sound the best from 300b. Reports from Canjam that Susvara and Envy sound amazing.
Man, rolling 300b tubes can add up real quick. Wonder how many you'll try. You have the cream of the crop for pentode/tetrode, will you do the same for 300b?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back