Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jun 22, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #5,716 of 7,481
So I wouldn't dismiss your findings at all, although you have to remain objective at all times IMO. The experimental approach is key.

Sure. If I could dig up Levi's christmas tree tubes pile up on his Feliks Audio Elise which he brought to CANJAM that year, I'm sure everyone there would agree it's an objective experimentation.

Jun 22, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #5,717 of 7,481
Our universe is filled with numerous examples where there are things we can't see that either make a difference in our lives or directly effect us. How do we know gravity exists? The answer is obvious. Why do we think one metal inside a radio tube yields better sound than another? For a more practical example, why do so many people, including some of the most highly respected members of our community (Rob Watts of Chord electronics) herald the difference from a WAVE BNC cable? In that instance, it's a RCA coax data cable that uses 20 specific ferrite chokes on a single cable. People say it reduces HF interference and provides a more rich sound.

There was one person who disagrees with the sound of that specific cable, and that was actually me - an opinion I had after about 10 days with it and numerous trials. I thought it used too many ferrite chokes and my preference pointed to a specific BNC cable using a series of 3 specific ferrite chokes of premium quality type that work on lower frequencies, similar to the one center middle of this photo:
ec8386_a6ce1e304e20461d94e87711b80e8e5b~mv2.png

Over the last 2 years I have done many dozens of A/B trials throughout my system on the benefits of ferrite chokes. I am highly pleased that it worked on:
  • headphone cables
  • AC power chords
  • DC wires
  • USB data cable
  • coax data cables
  • (and now) internally in devices
I was a skeptic at first, especially with USB data cable, really not expecting to hear anything because in my former mind it shouldn't because there was just 1s and 0s. Turns out this was the biggest difference to my system and I've never looked back - this seems to work by reducing jitter and/or HF / RF from the DC signal inside the data cable. It was described as reducing a noisefloor modulation which is something which was inaudible but the after effect was a noticeable improvement. The only cable that didn't benefit was shielded power cables - because these already have a shield. Which brings me back to power conditioning and shielded cables. In these circles you can see many examples of practical applications for shielded cables to make an improvement in audio quality, as well as isolated mains power. The effect is somewhat similar, and you can read more on the technical reasons here.

There's a reason my entire system has specifically chosen ferrite chokes. Countless trials have pointed to varying differences of warmer / darker sound, improved dynamics, blacker background, more true-to-life organic characteristic, depending on the type used and how many. I hear an unwavering and repeatable difference every time they are removed, and returned again. One good thing is they are completely non-destructive and removable.

@Thaddy and @UntilThen and @paradoxper raised questions about practicality and amounts. In fact I approached this concept with my Ultrasonic Studious amp as a way to reduce a background hum I was hearing. I started with 4 ferrite chokes inside, and after noticing no reduction I decided to go all in with what became 16 in total. It may seem like a lot but it's just 1 on each of over a dozen wires inside, and I could have gone bigger. I tried this larger amount just to see if it makes a difference with hum, after which I would start removing them by a process of elimination - thus saving countless times getting back into my amp and closing it back up. Not noticing a difference in the area I was expecting, I thought I'd give it a listen with music playing 'just in case anything has changed'. And much to my surprise, I was immersed into quite a different experience that before. Just as with many previous trials using ferrite chokes, I was not expecting anything! But I absolutely did, and it was incredibly pleasing - so much that I decided from then on I will just leave it, having chosen the lucky placement internally on the AC (and DC?) power signal path - leaving the audio signal unaltered so I don't alter the benefits of tube rolling. In this way, the effect is more like a power conditioner or isolated power supply, which some ultra hi-fi devices use such as a DDC (digital interface). Those who are open to the unknown can reap the benefits. Yes it sounds better to my ears, but it could also sound better to yours if you were to try it, and if done right.

As you may gather there was ZERO expectation bias, not expecting anything and in fact this positive outcome was the coincidental result of actually trying to solve another problem. I don't go into these projects half cocked, but rely on a methodical process of A/B comparisons using high quality headphones and reference test songs with good mastering that I've hears 100's of times and listen for nuance details in the recordings. Furthermore I've been around the hobby for quite some years and many people trust my opinions on various pieces of equipment.

A precaution I would like to give however for anyone interested in trying this: Use extra caution to not dislodge or break any connections inside the amp and only insert a ferrite clamp if there is enough room for it - do not bend or force anything and only do this if you are have steady hands for fine movements. And regarding ferrite choke types, I used a combination of the cheap Chinese black type and the premium white type made by a company called STAR-TEC (these cost about $4 each and come with a lock & key).
I still stand by the results I got from that particular (former) setup. This is about not judging a book by its cover - don't knock it till you try it. And in that instance, although it did have a unusual outward appearance, the sound was quite great and the electrical schematics made sense logically and it was never proven to have damaged anything. IMO, the combination of both vibration absorption feet and internal ferrite chokes is yielding an exceptional sound. And I would say the ferrite chokes internally are allowing a level of sound and specific characteristics that may not be achievable from any tubes.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #5,719 of 7,481
Jun 22, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #5,722 of 7,481
Fantastic results! I am interested in what you say about the rubber feet. I was uncertain about what to use on mine and settled for brass spikes but I've heard different things about brass vs rubber.
Different sounds, IME. I prefer brass pointy things (spikes, cones) myself, but that's system and personal preference dependent entirely.

Schiit Rack Rev A 2.jpg

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #5,723 of 7,481
Ferrite chokes goes back to the days of Feliks Audio Euforia, where tubes that were not meant to be used in that OTL amp, were used. So ferrite chokes were used to suppressed hums. This is one big pile of headaches. Why use unauthorised tubes in Euforia and then find ways to suppress the hums.

It's like driving against a one way street and trying to avoid a collision.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-euforia-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.831743/post-13699931
UT you missed the point on this one. This no longer has anything to do with reducing audible noise or noise from hums. It is a trick I have found that to me improves fidelity, that works by reducing noise that is beyond the audible frequencies which has an interesting trickle-down effect of improving many aspects in the audible realm. Many other users for other applications have found positive results, as mentioned on the previous page. I am using the amp properly and there is nothing wrong with it aside from a slight hum. This is not me using it to solve a problem from something I am doing wrong, rather akin to using shielded power cables or power conditioning to enhance the sound. I am extremely satisfied with fantastic results and was just sharing my experience to enhance the happiness of anybody who would also like to try this.

Sure I had used ferrite chokes to solve a problem before, but since then I have graduated. I have found many more uses and am also proud to have moved on to much better ferrite chokes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 23, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #5,724 of 7,481
Different sounds, IME. I prefer brass pointy things (spikes, cones) myself, but that's system and personal preference dependent entirely.

Also, Marilyn Manson’s sartorial preference !! 🤣

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #5,726 of 7,481
Also, Marilyn Manson’s sartorial preference !! 🤣
... and Madonna, or so I'm told. Is there nothing Marilyn Manson hasn't tried... don't answer that.

Edit: ... maybe ferrite chokes... not yet anyway 🤣.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #5,727 of 7,481
Jun 23, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #5,728 of 7,481
... and Madonna, or so I'm told. Is there nothing Marilyn Manson hasn't tried... don't answer that.

Edit: ... maybe ferrite chokes... not yet anyway 🤣.
Ferrite choke dog collars with spikes: passé !!

Jun 24, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #5,730 of 7,481
Oblivion driving my speakers now. Relieving Odyssey of that duty. While doing that I had HD800 still connected to Oblivion and I turn up the volume and what I heard is a revelation. HD800 out of Oblivion is the cream of the crop.

Now for some speakers listening from Oblivion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back