Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
May 5, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #5,207 of 7,481
May 5, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #5,208 of 7,481

Lol, yeah ok :smile:

This brings up a question though... Have any of you guys/gals been able to successfully insure your tube collections? It's something I've wondered about considering these tubes that are worth so much money yet are also so extremely fragile. I haven't looked into it yet but wondering if anyone actually does that??

May 5, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #5,209 of 7,481
Yes I'm thinking about getting the WE reissues. According to the website they're in stock. Any of the Chinese ones worthwhile?
Sorry, but I can't offer any insight on current Chinese ones. Back when I was using/buying 300B's (20+ years ago), the WE's were really the only game in town. There were the Cetrons (pretty lame) and the Sovteks (cheap, and sounded like it). The Chinese offerings back then (Shuguang mostly) were utter garbage. Entirely possible (and even probable) that some of the current China offerings have merit though.

(I still use 300B's in my speaker amp, but they are the high current version 300BXLS that are only made by KR and EML. So rolling options are pretty limited, as regular 300B's would get toasted at the higher operating voltages. I like the KR's better, but as the designer voiced the amp with them the EML's are at a disadvantage).

May 5, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #5,210 of 7,481
May 5, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #5,211 of 7,481
LOL! I paid about a quarter of that for a factory matched quad of 1958's. Of course that was quite a while ago.... :laughing:
…the perfect portfolio for a secure retirement: bonds, precious metals, stocks, tubes…😜

May 6, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #5,212 of 7,481
May 6, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #5,213 of 7,481
And beer. Never forget beer. :relaxed:
The bonds, precious metals, stocks, tubes pay for retirement. Beer is consumed in retirement…😃🤪

May 6, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #5,214 of 7,481
The bonds, precious metals, stocks, tubes pay for retirement. Beer is consumed in retirement…😃🤪
Oh. Guess I'm not ready to retire yet. Oh well. :sob:

Think I'll have a beer...

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #5,215 of 7,481
Oh. Guess I'm not ready to retire yet. Oh well. :sob:

Think I'll have a beer...
😭…tears in the beer, when I think of the years, to come so near…😩

May 7, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #5,216 of 7,481
…the perfect portfolio for a secure retirement: bonds, precious metals, stocks, tubes…😜
If only... I still had my quad of WE's that would have seen me off in retirement to the Cayman islands for good, away from all this. Now all I've got are these GE's which will never increase in value... maybe if I sell them and buy back when they have dropped I could make a killing 😋.

May 7, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #5,217 of 7,481
Sorry, but I can't offer any insight on current Chinese ones. Back when I was using/buying 300B's (20+ years ago), the WE's were really the only game in town. There were the Cetrons (pretty lame) and the Sovteks (cheap, and sounded like it). The Chinese offerings back then (Shuguang mostly) were utter garbage. Entirely possible (and even probable) that some of the current China offerings have merit though.

(I still use 300B's in my speaker amp, but they are the high current version 300BXLS that are only made by KR and EML. So rolling options are pretty limited, as regular 300B's would get toasted at the higher operating voltages. I like the KR's better, but as the designer voiced the amp with them the EML's are at a disadvantage).
I recently purchased some Shuguangs, not bad but not even a match for my RCA's. I think there are some good Chinese tubes around these days and some of the reissues aren't bad but I would never choose them over NOS.

May 9, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #5,218 of 7,481
Wow while I am away, you talk about bonds, beers, tubes and retirement.

I post this in the other thread but I need to show it here.

IMG_4268.jpg

May 9, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #5,219 of 7,481
If only... I still had my quad of WE's that would have seen me off in retirement to the Cayman islands for good, away from all this. Now all I've got are these GE's which will never increase in value... maybe if I sell them and buy back when they have dropped I could make a killing 😋.
With those GEs, you might be able to afford a photograph of the Isle of Wight 🤣🤣🤣

May 9, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #5,220 of 7,481
The only ‘shorts’ where the GEs do their stuff is in the amp…🤣😳🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back