Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Feb 2, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #496 of 7,478
Finally bought my 1st tubes for Oblivion. I better have spares especially after using Oblivion to watch the marathon Australian Open Men's Tennis Final last night. :wink:

Cost me $11 ....

s-l1600 (41).jpg

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #499 of 7,478
Yes, transparency definitely so that you can hear exactly what the artist and engineer intended... BUT... I don't like cold or analytic sound which I find devoid of musicality.

For that reason I like a touch of warmth... whatever that is... tubes or what. All my gear: DAC, Amp, speakers and headphones have just that touch of warmth to add a musical dimension. That's one reason I still like my HE-500s, which are still superb cans. I've always steered away from cans like the HD800, since owning HD600's and not liking them at all. However several members have said how good the Oblivion is with the HD800's, and I imagine that they have toned down that analytical sound and made them a touch livelier, something good amps can do.

So I am interested at some point in trying the Sennheisers because of this and also to try cans with a back row presentation rather than the onstage presentation I get with the HE-500's.

The HD800 and Oblivion sound like a great pairing according to those that have tried it, I believe it would be end game, I don't know what those that have tried it think.

Feb 2, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #500 of 7,478
Sorry for that s**ty post earlier, it appears that you can no longer copy something into this site from somewhere else without the format going haywire, so I have re-typed it.

Yes, transparency definitely so that you can hear exactly what the artist and engineer intended… UT... I don't like cold or analytic sound which I find devoid of musicality. For that reason I like a touch of warmth... whatever that is... tubes, or what. That's one reason I still like my HE-500's, which are still superb cans for me.

I've always steered away from cans like the HD800, since owning HD600's and not liking them at all. However several members have said how good the Oblivion is with them, and I imagine they have changed that analytical sound, and made them a touch livelier, something good amps can do. So I am interested at some point in trying the Sennys because of this and also to try them because they have a back row presentation rather than the onstage presentation I get with the HE-500s.

The HD800 and Oblivion sound like a great pairing to those who have tried it, probably end game. I don't know what those who have tried it think but I would be interested to know.

Feb 2, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #501 of 7,478
How the ^"**k do you get your post down these days, I give up!

Feb 2, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #502 of 7,478
I don’t think anyone would like cold and analytical sound but hd800 with the right amp can sound really enjoyable. The 3 amps that comes to mind are Glenn OTL amp, Studio Six and Oblivion.

I am quite adaptable though. Though I like how hd800 sound with these amps, I much prefer Verite with these amps.

Lately though I prefer Oblivion driving my Axis Voicebox S speakers. Both Verite and Voicebox S cost US$2500 each. Headphones these days are getting very expensive. You can buy very nice bookshelf speakers for the price of a Susvara. :)

Feb 2, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #503 of 7,478
See, your post has got messed up as well... or is it me…

Most of mine has ended up off the end of the page, no wordwrap.

Time for bed I think, before I really lose it…

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #505 of 7,478
I see the posts just fine. Paragraph, word wrap, spacing. There’s great details in those text and pictures. :)

I think you need Oblivion to get the formatting right haha.

Oh really, thanks for that, and sorry for the mess up, I don't know why I don't see it right. I was determined to get down what I wrote a third time but you will be pleased to know that I will spare you the bother!

Feb 2, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #506 of 7,478
Last time... my post cuts off at "pleased to know th"

I don't know what they've done but the website maintenance appears to have introduced a bug.

Weird!

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #507 of 7,478
Feb 3, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #509 of 7,478
Last time... my post cuts off at "pleased to know th"

I don't know what they've done but the website maintenance appears to have introduced a bug.

Weird!
Are you on a mobile ?
Desktop looks fine to me
Mobile a bit truncated as you say.

To make this post Oblivion related... I had to work quite hard to not order one before Feb 1. It will happen at some point. Enjoy!

Feb 3, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #510 of 7,478
Yes, transparency definitely so that you can hear exactly what the artist and engineer intended… UT... I don't like cold or analytic sound which I find devoid of musicality. For that reason I like a touch of warmth... whatever that is... tubes, or what. That's one reason I still like my HE-500's, which are still superb cans for me.

You might want to consider either Verite Open or Verite Close instead of HD800 then. The ZMF headphones opens up with Oblivion. Everyone has their own preference so it's hard to know what suits you. My short listen of a modded HE-500 has been a long time ago at a meet and I cannot really remember how that sound like. Since that time, I've have had Eikon, Atticus, LCD-2f, LCD-3f. I bet those would sound lovely with Oblivion. :)

Right now I'm really enjoying Verite Open with Oblivion. Sound so much better than with Studio Six.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back