Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jan 12, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #4,561 of 7,539
Hi guys. Well I've put my order in for a Telemachus, very excited. I'm sure most of us have said this before but this will be my last amp for a very long time.
Tomas has been, and is a pleasure to deal with and has answered all my questions in detail in a prompt manner.
Looking forward to being a member of the UltraSonic crew. :metal:

Congrats and very exciting indeed. I still have my sight on Telemachus but after Odyssey, you know I've to catch my breath a bit... :)

I could actually imagine how Telemachus will sound and that's why it's exciting.

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #4,562 of 7,539
Hi guys. Well I've put my order in for a Telemachus, very excited. I'm sure most of us have said this before but this will be my last amp for a very long time.
Tomas has been, and is a pleasure to deal with and has answered all my questions in detail in a prompt manner.
Looking forward to being a member of the UltraSonic crew. :metal:
Good luck! He should start building mine this February, An Odyssey that can take KT170s! Sent them to Tomas today!

I know that I have a few more bits to finalise my chain. But for now maybe the Audio-GD R8 and Vérité Open - has anybody tried it on Odyssey?

I feel satisfied in the planar region with HE-6SE v2, and I've heard good things from @UntilThen about it and Odyssey.

Jan 12, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #4,563 of 7,539
Good luck! He should start building mine this February, An Odyssey that can take KT170s! Sent them to Tomas today!

I know that I have a few more bits to finalise my chain. But for now maybe the Audio-GD R8 and Vérité Open - has anybody tried it on Odyssey?

I feel satisfied in the planar region with HE-6SE v2, and I've heard good things from @UntilThen about it and Odyssey.
Very nice, not too long to wait. Middle of the year for me, patience is a virtue!

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #4,565 of 7,539

Tomas told me I could use KT170 in my amp but I didn't try it yet. The other 2 big power tubes sound great - KT150 and EL156 and I have the latter in the amp now.

I used to own the Verite LTD Pheasant wood Open and used that with Oblivion but I sold it before Odyssey's arrival. It should sound great with Odyssey. I do still have HD800 which is also 300ohms and that sound awesome with Odyssey.

My old headphones. All 3 are gone now.
IMG_0511.jpg

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #4,566 of 7,539
Tomas told me I could use KT170 in my amp but I didn't try it yet. The other 2 big power tubes sound great - KT150 and EL156 and I have the latter in the amp now.

I used to own the Verite LTD Pheasant wood Open and used that with Oblivion but I sold it before Odyssey's arrival. It should sound great with Odyssey. I do still have HD800 which is also 300ohms and that sound awesome with Odyssey.

IMG_0511.jpg
I would like something that is a bit mid centric / warm but still detailed and has sound stage.

I used to like the M1570, I still do, but I am finding it is lacking detail compared with the SASH Tres and especially the HE-6SE.

I like the HD660s, it has that "warmth", at least in the MJ2.

I will have to try them on the Odyssey to decide.

Till now I think I am going for the Tung-Sol Gold Pin 6SL-7s and the Tung-Sol 5AR4s.

I may upgrade to a full set of PSVANE T-IIs. We'll see. They are a bit costly, especially the 274B rectifiers.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

I would be interested in NOS, but I'd rather not get affectionate with something that can't be easily replaced.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #4,569 of 7,539

IMG_0511.jpg
Matt, you have owned, enjoyed and sold more gear than most of us will ever get to hear. :gs1000smile: I've been eyeing LCD-3, what did think of it and why did you sell?

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #4,570 of 7,539
Matt, you have owned, enjoyed and sold more gear than most of us will ever get to hear. :gs1000smile: I've been eyeing LCD-3, what did think of it and why did you sell?

I sold off LCD3 after I bought LCD4 which according to my ears is a much better headphone. So for a few months I had those 2 side by side. LCD3 is still a very good headphone.

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #4,572 of 7,539
Thanks @UntilThen, I hear that. @OctavianH I am still rocking your old amp, Feliks Elise (OTL), and besides the cost differential, am concerned the 20 ohm impedance of LCD-5 won't play nice with the OTL's high output impedance. LCD-3 is 110 ohms. Is this a valid concern?

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #4,573 of 7,539
Thanks @UntilThen, I hear that. @OctavianH I am still rocking your old amp, Feliks Elise (OTL), and besides the cost differential, am concerned the 20 ohm impedance of LCD-5 won't play nice with the OTL's high output impedance. LCD-3 is 110 ohms. Is this a valid concern?
LCD-5 has 14 Ohms and I remember I read somewhere that Elise has around 50 Ohms output impedance.

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #4,574 of 7,539
LCD-5 has 14 Ohms and I remember I read somewhere that Elise has around 50 Ohms output impedance.
Right, so I wouldn't expect Elise to pair well w/LCD-5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back