Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jan 3, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #4,546 of 7,539
All very good gear Bryant. It was a listening session of Chord Qutest > Auris Nirvana > LCD4 that made me want a custom amp and LCD4. That pairing of Nirvana and LCD4 is very good but Odyssey and LCD4 is even better.

The world has not known Odyssey yet but that's the level it's playing at and much better and more versatile in my opinion. Not to mention a lot cheaper.
I remember checking out the price of the Nirvana down under, $9299 Australian dollars is not cheap. I feel like I stole a Auris Nirvana when I picked one up off of Headphones.com buy/sell forum for $3200 US dollars that was only 1.5 months old.

The versatility of Odyssey and all the different tubes is one of the attributes that makes Odyssey special, along with the transformers, Yamamoto tube sockets etc... I love the ability to use different power tubes with Chameleon. Still find the EL156 to be my favorite. I'll be posting some pictures and a write up soon in the Eric McChanson Headphone Amp?? forum.

Jan 3, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #4,547 of 7,539
I remember checking out the price of the Nirvana down under, $9299 Australian dollars is not cheap. I feel like I stole a Auris Nirvana when I picked one up off of Headphones.com buy/sell forum for $3200 US dollars that was only 1.5 months old.

The versatility of Odyssey and all the different tubes is one of the attributes that makes Odyssey special, along with the transformers, Yamamoto tube sockets etc... I love the ability to use different power tubes with Chameleon. Still find the EL156 to be my favorite. I'll be posting some pictures and a write up soon in the Eric McChanson Headphone Amp?? forum.

That's cheap for a Nirvana. Someone obviously didn't like tube amp to be selling a 1.5 months old unit at that price. :)

Yeah give your thoughts on the EL156 tubes. Hardly any impressions out there apart from DIY forum and my take on it.

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #4,548 of 7,539
That's cheap for a Nirvana. Someone obviously didn't like tube amp to be selling a 1.5 months old unit at that price. :)

Yeah give your thoughts on the EL156 tubes. Hardly any impressions out there apart from DIY forum and my take on it.
They were going through different tube amplifiers like crazy. They tried 2 different Auris Audio amps, Several AmpandSound amps and ended up with Decware tube amp.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road now playing

It will soon be bed time. Almost 12:30am Monday morning here in Arizona so it is just about 6:30pm Monday down under! Enjoy your evening Matt. Got to say I'm really intrigued to try out the HE1000-SE since it is much easier to drive and less amp picky than the Susvara. But then I don't think I'd have an amp that would have a hard time driving the Susvara when at home. For airplane travel I do use Campfire Audio Andromeda S iem's with Sony NC headphones. IEM's are not all that comfortable for me so I've not gone down that path very far.

In the bedroom lately the Marantz SA-14 v1>Yggdrasil A2>Oblivion(using as preamp)>Ragnarok v1.5>HE6SE v1, Utopia, Stealth, LCD-4, Verite Closed/Open all sound :L3000::ksc75smile::L3000:. Using the Oblivion as a preamp has been the icing on the cake so to speak with the Ragnarok.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #4,549 of 7,539
Thanks!
It's a SET amp.
Well those two amps have nothing in common really except they both use 300B's at the output. Infinity runs the tubes in their linear region at all times, while Telemachus let's the tubes operate in their non-linear regions as well. This gives Telemachus higher THD. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Depends on your preference.
Unfortunately the amp is for another lucky client. Yes a 300b with grid drivers.

Here's what Tomas told me in an earlier correspondence.

Tube rolling 6SN7 input tubes will affect the sound! But, they don't drive the 300b's. I have grid drivers in place for that! This is where the "modern design" comes in! :)

This unit he can only roll 6SN7 type tubes like 6f8g and ECC33.

Perhaps ECC32 as well... that's my guess. Tomas to confirm.

It's an SE amp and from what Tomas has produced, both SE and balanced amps sound great. Hard to say the difference in sound character between this and Infinity 300B but I'd say the difference will be very significant.

Far a start, this use Sowter output transformers and Hammond mains transformer. Uses Yamamoto sockets as well. Not doubt it will have boutique capacitors as well - probably Mundorf s/g/o capacitors.

Other significant difference is the choice of 6SN7 inputs that WILL affect sound.

Again in the words of Tomas
This gives Telemachus the best of both worlds. Fast transients and speed due to the grid drivers while still maintaining the beautiful 300B sound! This sound signature is one that I want to hear. It's probably what I'm looking for in a 300b amp.

Telemachus will be defined by it's sound more than any other aspect and with 12.5 watts into 8 ohms, yeah it's exciting. This should drive Susvara easy.

See the website:-
http://ultrasonicstudios.org/telemachus/

In an earlier photo that Tomas showed me, it was a JJ GZ34 rectifier. I think you can use both GZ34 and 5U4G here. Probably the other variants too like GZ32, 53ku, U52 etc. Tomas please expand on this?
Thanks a lot the detail information Tomas and UT.

Yes, when I read fast transient speed with 300B that certainly attract my attention!

Jan 3, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #4,550 of 7,539
I swore that Odyssey would be the last amp but now I have to sell off the golf sets, carts, Bcowen and Baronbeehive to afford this.

Dunno but a possibility for 2022. My mind's hatching plans now.
I would be willing to donate my grandmother.. if I had one that is.. I'm sure bcowen could lend a dime 🙂.

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #4,552 of 7,539
An iconic headphone. One that will remain in my stable. You've pick up one in very good condition.

A most relaxing tone with Oblivion and Odyssey. I'm listening to Elton John now and I've not heard Elton John for a very long time. All the classic starts to come back. Tiny Dancer, Rocket Man, Bernie and the jets, Candle in the wind. By the time I got to Daniel, I've relive my childhood. :relaxed:

What's precious about this LCD4 is that it seek me out. I did not seek it. A friend sounded me out and told me it's mine at a low cost for his few months old LCD4 if I want it. It's his way of saying thanks for my 'advise' to him and friendship. How touching. :)

So here we go.... Daniel.
The LCD-4 is a classic & a rarity: high impedance planar ! 🤪😄🥲

Jan 3, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #4,553 of 7,539
Jan 3, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #4,554 of 7,539
To count eight cents took all day?…

800,000 cents takes a long time to count !

But for now I'm testing He6se V2 again with Odyssey and Destiny. Have to make sure there's enough juice to drive this headphone. You know making plans for Telemachus?

Ha there's enough juice that's for sure. With room to spare for 2 He6se. This headphone is unbelievable when driven by powerful and exquisite sounding amps. Odyssey punch harder than the already hard punching Destiny. Odyssey also reveals more details and high frequencies. This is to be expected because the 300b is mid centric. However Telemachus will be a different ball game. Ok back to counting the cents again.

IMG_3825.jpg

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #4,555 of 7,539
800,000 cents takes a long time to count !
For the impending arrival of Telemachus in Aussie land, you could start by melting down the gold chassis of Destiny.. you won't need that any more anyway 🤑

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #4,556 of 7,539
For the impending arrival of Telemachus in Aussie land, you could start by melting down the gold chassis of Destiny.. you won't need that any more anyway 🤑

It gets a bit tricky here because Destiny still sound great. Have been swapping LCD4, He1000se and He6se V2 between the 2 amps this morning. Such a blast going from Philips Miniwatt EL34 (yup swap to this now) to Genalex 300b. However there's a bounce from Odyssey that gets my feet tapping. :)

Jan 3, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #4,557 of 7,539
I would be willing to donate my grandmother.. if I had one that is.. I'm sure bcowen could lend a dime 🙂.
Well dangit. I was counting on donating your grandmother too. Back to the drawing board I guess. 😒

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #4,558 of 7,539
I wish! Lately I've been spending money like a drunken sailor. Came home, from working all night, on the morning of the 4th of December and checked out what was left of Zach and Bevin's stabilized Friday night sale. The Colorada seemed to speak to me, "take me home". Since Colorado is my home state it just seemed natural. So I bought them. Then the following week on the 7th I pulled the trigger on a LCD-4 auction. Then on the 12th I won an auction for the controversial DCA Stealth. Then I left I needed a Grumpy Goose headphone stand. And to top it all off for traveling the iFi Pro iCAN Signature Amplifier. Perhaps I'm in need of some therapy! Headphone Musical Therapy It Will Be!

That's one solid list that should keep you away from audio expenses for a long while, but doesn't have to :D

And of course thanks for including our Pro iCAN Signature, may it serve you well :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 6, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #4,559 of 7,539
I've only heard and own the Oblivion and not the Infinity. On the neutral scale, it should go like this...

Neutral ------------------------------ more coloured
Citadel > Oblivion > Infinity / Eternity > Odyssey
Good approximation to help decide 👍

It's finally ready! There has been some delay because of transformer shipping times and me being sick but, here's Telemachus! More info on the website! :)

IMG_20220102_121459.jpg

IMG_20220102_121555.jpg

IMG_20220102_121655.jpg

IMG_20220102_121710.jpg

IMG_20220102_121745.jpg

IMG_20220102_121828.jpg

IMG_20220102_122015.jpg
Wow nice! I posted pics first page👍

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #4,560 of 7,539
Hi guys. Well I've put my order in for a Telemachus, very excited. I'm sure most of us have said this before but this will be my last amp for a very long time.
Tomas has been, and is a pleasure to deal with and has answered all my questions in detail in a prompt manner.
Looking forward to being a member of the UltraSonic crew. :metal:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back