Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jan 17, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #421 of 7,481
Jan 17, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #422 of 7,481
Beautiful glow from the 6BG6g. These appears to be similar to 807 and 6L6. https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42725&view=next

DonAllenCakepan807_HQ.jpg

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #424 of 7,481
I am a mere beginner in my journey throughout the realms of Audiophilia. As of right now, this amp is #1 amidst all my choices of my soon-to-begin journey into the deeper realms of this money-sucking Hobby (even with the nearby €450 price increases). Though, after reading your review, I have some questions.

As of right now, I have (or had) three choices to top my list directly into Endgame:

The recently-launched Heddphone (which is, as of right now in Limbo since I am a lover of Enveloping Sound, where the Heddphone seems to be- Not quite enveloping)

The Hifiman Arya (as of right now, my top choice. Especially since I can get it Open-Box for cheap)

And thanks to your review: The Verum One (which I had indeed considered before, though put aside thanks to other choices).

How would you say the Verum compare to your ZMFs and Ananda?

Are they competitive against a well-driven Auteur/Verite?

Can they defeat the Ananda off the Oblivion?

I thank you very much for any commentary on this. Have a good day/evening.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #425 of 7,481
That's a question for Phantam. He's the one who talks about the Verum One.

You can't go wrong with Oblivion as your number 1 choice for amp. With this amp, you can start collecting more money sucking headphones. :) I've got one in mind later this year. It's the LCD-4.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #426 of 7,481
That's a question for Phantam. He's the one who talks about the Verum One.

You can't go wrong with Oblivion as your number 1 choice for amp. With this amp, you can start collecting more money sucking headphones. :) I've got one in mind later this year. It's the LCD-4.

Press F to pay respects for my wallet. :ksc75smile:

And I could have sworn I quoted his post. :anguished:

Oh well, I guess I will have to rewrite.

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #427 of 7,481
Press F to pay respects for my wallet. :ksc75smile:

And I could have sworn I quoted his post. :anguished:

Oh well, I guess I will have to rewrite.

Although if I'm smart, I should have ask you to buy my GOTL in the 'For sale' but because I'm an honest John, I have to tell you that I much prefer the Oblivion to the GOTL.

What a silly seller I am. :ksc75smile:

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #428 of 7,481
Although if I'm smart, I should have ask you to buy my GOTL in the 'For sale' but because I'm an honest John, I have to tell you that I much prefer the Oblivion to the GOTL.

What a silly seller I am. :ksc75smile:

As much fun as that amp seems to be, and as gorgeous as it is, I need an amp that can drive speakers. Plus, the Step-Up transformer would be quite the cost upon the amp-plus-shipping hit.
In any case, I truly hope your baby finds a new home!

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #429 of 7,481
As much fun as that amp seems to be, and as gorgeous as it is, I need an amp that can drive speakers. Plus, the Step-Up transformer would be quite the cost upon the amp-plus-shipping hit.
In any case, I truly hope your baby finds a new home!

It's found a new home now. Payment will be coming to me in the next minute. :)

Jan 18, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #430 of 7,481
To drive my Axis Voicebox S with more power. I can get it going now but with volume hovering between 12 noon and 3 pm.

https://axisvoicebox.com/
Output power and how much you need to turn the volume knob is not the same thing. Output power is the amount of headroom you have for clean, unclipped, audio signal. If you want to turn the volume knob less, for same amount of volume, it's more gain you want. More gain is easy to get by designing around different tubes. Citadel already has more gain than Oblivion though. More gain also affects the headphone output though. So there needs to be a nice balance there. Personally, I don't mind using most of the potentiometers range.

Jan 18, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #432 of 7,481
I am a mere beginner in my journey throughout the realms of Audiophilia. As of right now, this amp is #1 amidst all my choices of my soon-to-begin journey into the deeper realms of this money-sucking Hobby (even with the nearby €450 price increases).

You are in a very fortunate position then, you could skip all the painful..., to the wallet..., interim stages, and go straight to "finish" with this amp, especially if your sound preferences are of the more transparent, and open kind.

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #433 of 7,481
I like how that chassis is welded together! :)

So, you're starting to notice these things now that you are a builder lol! I must admit such details pass me by:).

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #434 of 7,481
Output power and how much you need to turn the volume knob is not the same thing. Output power is the amount of headroom you have for clean, unclipped, audio signal. If you want to turn the volume knob less, for same amount of volume, it's more gain you want. More gain is easy to get by designing around different tubes. Citadel already has more gain than Oblivion though. More gain also affects the headphone output though. So there needs to be a nice balance there. Personally, I don't mind using most of the potentiometers range.

It’s the same with Studio Six. Just 1 watt output but the overbuild output transformer is good for 20 watts.

I too find I have to crank up the volume on Studio Six a lot more but on both amps, with headphones, 10 o’clock is loud.

I’m keeping Oblivion and Studio Six, the latter is where the bass stands out. Good contrast between the 2 amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back