Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #4,291 of 7,484
@Shinsengumi there is an amp that surpass La Figaro in bass quantity and quality. It's Odyssey. :) It's an afternoon with LPs for me. I always get goosebumps listening to Brothers In Arms and today it sound exceptionally good.

Denon DP-47f > Odyssey > HD800. Who says HD800 has no bass? Got to hear it off Odyssey. Drums will make you jump and you'll look around wondering if someone else is in the room when there's no one. :)

IMG_3536.jpg

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #4,292 of 7,484
@Shinsengumi there is an amp that surpass La Figaro in bass quantity and quality. It's Odyssey. :) It's an afternoon with LPs for me. I always get goosebumps listening to Brothers In Arms and today it sound exceptionally good.

Denon DP-47f > Odyssey > HD800. Who says HD800 has no bass? Got to hear it off Odyssey. Drums will make you jump and you'll look around wondering if someone else is in the room when there's no one. :)

IMG_3536.jpg
Thanks for your guidance! I will start to save money for the Odyssey and put my soul up for sale😊

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #4,293 of 7,484
Thank you @UntilThen for the mention.

I have had a long discussion with Tomas, and finally settled for an Odessey.

I wanted to go for experimatation and tube rolling, I also wanted tube rectification.

My current experience with amplifiers is an SMSL SH-8, a Muzishare X3T (which I really loved but had a channel imbalance, so returned it) and now a Schiit Mjolnir 2 with Tesla ECC88.

My chain at present is Allo USBridge Signature to Schiit Gungnir MB to the Mjolnir 2.

My headphones are HD660s, Monolith M1570, Sash Tres - as closed version and the Hifiman HE-6SE. I like them all. Fell in love with the M1570 on tubes.

I mainly listen to country, folk, acoustic - but like my fair share of classic rock and occasional EDM that characterised my teens.

I appreciate detail, but also sound stage. I would like a low noise floor.

Within the restrictions of an "old school" design, I decided to have my Odessey with 5AR4 / 274B / 5U4GB rectifiers as well as 6SL7/6SN7 preamp tubes. For power tubes anything from KT66 up till KT170.

My initial kit will be the Tung-Sol new production 5AR4 x2, 6SL7GT x2 and KT170 x2.

Output transformers will be custom ordered Sowter. My aim is to have 10W into 50 ohms for the HE-6SE.

There will be impedance matching, 2 XLR inputs, 2 RCA inputs and XLR 4 pin as well as a 6.35.

Any suggestions, both tubes and headphones for the future, considering my musical preferences?

I plan to get an Audio-GD R8 DAC. I have plans for a Master 9 as well - to have both rube and solid state - as well as the AS-1 and the DI-20HE as a later 'project'. The Odessey will follow the aesthetic language of these Audio-GDs

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #4,294 of 7,484
Within the restrictions of an "old school" design, I decided to have my Odessey with 5AR4 / 274B / 5U4GB rectifiers as well as 6SL7/6SN7 preamp tubes. For power tubes anything from KT66 up till KT170.

My initial kit will be the Tung-Sol new production 5AR5 x2, 6SL7GT x2 and KT170 x2.

Output transformers will be custom ordered Sowter. My aim is to have 10W into 50 ohms for the HE-6SE.

There will be mpedance matching, 2 XLR inputs, 2 RCA inputs and XLR 4 pin as well as a 6.35.

Any suggestions, both tubes and headphones for the future, considering my musical preferences?

Congrats AG. Looks like you're pretty much covered there. 10w into 50 ohms is much more powerful than Odyssey. This is Odyssey big brother. :) Will this amp drive speakers as well?

Include EL34 and EL156 in your tube collection. As well as EL39, EL38, 807. The EL tubes are just as interesting as the KT tubes. With 6SL7 and 6sn7, your driver tubes will have lots of choices.

All those tube rectifiers will serve you well and provide more tuning for you. I can't wait to see how this will turn out. I'd imagine you'll have triode / UL mode switch as well. UL will give you a lot more power.

@Sajid Amit , this is another variation of Odyssey. As you can see, it's fully customisable.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #4,296 of 7,484
Congrats AG. Looks like you're pretty much covered there. 10w into 50 ohms is much more powerful than Odyssey. This is Odyssey big brother. :) Will this amp drive speakers as well?

Include EL34 and EL156 in your tube collection. As well as EL39, EL38, 807. The EL tubes are just as interesting as the KT tubes. With 6SL7 and 6sn7, your driver tubes will have lots of choices.

All those tube rectifiers will serve you well and provide more tuning for you. I can't wait to see how this will turn out. I'd imagine you'll have triode / UL mode switch as well. UL will give you a lot more power.

@Sajid Amit , this is another variation of Odyssey. As you can see, it's fully customisable.
Well those are expensive headphones (Susvara and Abyss)... Maybe one day....

I was thinking of starting from the JJ repertoire, relatively inexpensive tubes... And see what tubes for which styles. That should keep me busy for quite some time!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #4,298 of 7,484
Good idea. Start with current production tubes and see how you like each of the tube type tones.
Mine will be the February build! Hopefully I should be with me by March! Will definitely let you know!

It is only for headphones, buy I wanted it to be able to drive anything apart from electrostats or the ribbon headphones.

Also I assume if I use KT66 output should be significantly less than KT170... I still need to speak to Tomas on how the power output will alter...

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #4,299 of 7,484
In a nut shell, the differences are resolution, spaciousness, airiness, clarity, details and soundstage. Yes Oblivion beats LF339 soundstage easily. Oblivion is also more balanced in the whole FR spectrum.
I thought eternity is closer to La Figaro than oblivion? Oblivion seems to me more neutral and eternity warmer, although i have not heard any of them.

Nov 29, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #4,303 of 7,484
Very valuable, thanks, by saying that You doubt it surpasses La Figaro You mean surpasses with what respect? Warm or soundstage/details?

Have You compared elise to La figaro?
I was thinking about warm sound level. I never heard La Figaro, but I have read about it. I think Eternity is more neutral than it. My supposition.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #4,305 of 7,484
So in terms of warm sound it would be oblivion < eternity < elise/ La Figaro as I understand.
This is what I expect but here Tomas ca help with some insights. He knows better how Eternity sounds compared with his other models (including Odyssey).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back