Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Sep 2, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,496 of 7,539
Here's what I hear between Oblivion and Odyssey. Yggdrasil and He1000se in attendance.

Oblivion has great instruments separation and very wide soundstage. Very clear and airy. Had another listen to this amp now again and am very surprised that it still sounded very good to me. Musical and engaging. Pick up notes with precision. This amp's a keeper for me.

Odyssey has great instruments separation and better depth and height of soundstage but slightly narrower in width than Oblivion. Has better tube tone. Has better bass. Not that Oblivion's bass is lacking. Tube tone is so good, I can't get enough of it. My favourite of the 2 amps.

Both amps are agile with fast transients. This is one of the traits I'm looking for.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #3,497 of 7,539
Thank you joseph69 and UntilThen, after reading those linked post a bit worry if Citadel would be too bright for my taste, In general happy with the tonality of the GSX. Anyway, now I'm looking something that would sound different compare to GSX, but would be on same "level". @UntilThen notice from some old posts that you have had the Auralic Taurus at same time with the Oblivion, how you would be comparing those two if looking tonality, dynamics and level of presenting details ? (I had Taurus before I bought the GSX some some idea how it sound). @joseph69 noticed that you sold the Citadel at some point, where there any specific reason for that ? maybe even Infinity would be something to be consider, but as now previous experience from tube amps, dont know what to "order" or so.

Headphones that I'm using currently are, LCD4, Utopia, VC and Arya (mainly looking amp for VC, if I need to prioritize)

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #3,499 of 7,539
A few things to take note here. Taurus is a solid state amp. Oblivion is a hybrid with tubes as preamp. Odyssey is strictly a tube amp of the old school design.

In terms of tube tone and 3D presentation, this is how they stand. Odyssey > Oblivion > Taurus.

In terms of details and clarity, Odyssey and Oblivion tie for 1st spot. Taurus come last.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #3,500 of 7,539
:o2smile: what I want Odyssey to be is a classic tube amp tone with great 2nd harmonic distortions. When I heard Auris Nirvana with LCD-4, I told myself that my next amp will sound similar to that. Texture laden, slight warm, great dynamics, clarity and details, good soundstage and solid seismic like bass that will hit you in the chest, slam and with some bite. Top end must be revealing and not rounded off. It has to go low to middle earth.

I hope I'm not asking too much. :relaxed:

Feb 11th I wrote this. I wouldn't have a clue then how Odyssey will turn out but Odyssey does turn out just as I hope for above and then some.

Sep 3, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #3,501 of 7,539
Oblivion is a hybrid with tubes as preamp.
I guess it depends of what you mean be hybrid? To me, Oblivion is definitely not a hybrid. It's 100% tube amplification, that makes it a tube amp in my book. In a hybrid amp you often have a SS stage with amplification. What the SS parts in Oblivion does is make the tubes run more optimally, that's it.
Just wanted to clear that up :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #3,502 of 7,539
I open up the bottom cover of Odyssey, after 20 days of continuous usage of about 8 hours each day. I wanted to see if the interior has changed colour. I was very surprised that it's the same as day one. So I took a picture and compare it to the picture that Tomas send me. It's exactly the same colour. It's most neat and beautiful layout I've seen.

Sep 3, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #3,503 of 7,539
I guess it depends of what you mean be hybrid? To me, Oblivion is definitely not a hybrid. It's 100% tube amplification, that makes it a tube amp in my book. In a hybrid amp you often have a SS stage with amplification. What the SS parts in Oblivion does is make the tubes run more optimally, that's it.
Just wanted to clear that up :)

Ok I must have got the hybrid idea from Max, who on the first page of this thread said that it's a true and ideal hybrid amp. :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #3,504 of 7,539
@joseph69 noticed that you sold the Citadel at some point, where there any specific reason for that ?
Yes, because I had sold my WA33 for the Citadel and missed it terribly, so I traded the Citadel + cash for another WA33.
I didn't want to have 2 tube amps which is why I chose to sell the Citadel and keep the GS-X which has been nothing but good to me since I purchased it new in +/-'17 as well as HeadAmp being in (VA) which is much closer to my location (NY) if it should need to be serviced or looked at.

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #3,505 of 7,539
Thank you all for the sharing details, I'll need to read through this entered thread again, to get some view about those other amps as well

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #3,506 of 7,539
@UntilThen so when are you going to audition the Abyss, I can't wait around here all day!

Besides I have things to do like filling in all the bunkers when you next hit the fairway :relaxed:.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #3,507 of 7,539
@UntilThen so when are you going to audition the Abyss, I can't wait around here all day!

Besides I have things to do like filling in all the bunkers when you next hit the fairway :relaxed:.

In the early days of my hobby or even as late as 2 years ago, I'd want everything yesterday. I have gotten to a point where the sonics are so good, I have become Mr Patient. In golf your mind needs to be calm and you need to be patient to get the eagle or albatross.

So since I was told that the Abyss will come for testing, I'll just let it be. I'm enjoying the He1000se and LCD4 very much at the moment. In fact they could have been all I need. Just a thought here. Since I like the He1000se so much with Odyssey, maybe I should be auditioning Susvara instead.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #3,508 of 7,539
I never believe in EQing my headphones but something happened yesterday. I experimented with a DeskFX by NCH Software. I lifted the 4k dip in LCD4 and it's much better now. :)

IMG_3072.jpg

Sep 3, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #3,509 of 7,539
Arrived on the 13th August and it's 4th September now. Almost a month coming up. If you ask me which tube amp I would recommend you, I will say its definitely Odyssey. Great 2nd harmonic distortions with great clarity and details. I am still left in amazement at every listening session. Incredible build Tomas and I thank you for that. This is a Christmas present that came early and one that I'm willing to buy nice NOS tubes for it.

IMG_3073.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back