Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Aug 13, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #2,881 of 7,481
That is not an incredible picture. THIS is an incredible picture. :beyersmile: Very surprised that my iPhone 11 Pro Max can capture such a picture.

I've listen to a lot more songs since this morning but I believe the amp will perform much better with more hours and days in. As it is though, I am thoroughly thrilled. I have good sounding amps on that rack but Odyssey will obliterate them. I've played around with using 6SL7 or EL11 as drivers. Gone from triode to UL mode. Tried both He1000se and LCD4 with it and also both my Axis Voicebox S and Boston speakers.

When I ask Tomas to build me Odyssey, I've some specific criteria :-

1. I want the high frequencies to be extended, clear, sweet but not sibilant.
2. I want the bass to have impact but at the same time tight and not flabby.
3. I want the mids to be not recessed, not too forward but in keeping with the highs and the lows. In other words I want the whole frequency spectrum to be balance and thrill me.
4. I need the amp to be quiet, with black background.
5. I want a tube tone that is unmistakably a tube tone but not too tubey.
6. I want the width, depth and height of soundstage to be great.
7. I want an amp that will give me many variations of tone when I change tubes.
8. Lastly I want the sockets to be a joy to change tubes and these Yamamotos didn't disappoint. It's incredibly smooth. It's neither too tight or too loose.

Odyssey has checked all these boxes even at this early stage. I believe Tomas has run it in for 2 days. I'm going to be putting a lot more in and then give an impression. By which time, another headphone, Abyss would have arrived.

I want to thank Tomas. Odyssey has surpassed my expectations even at this early stage. It is money well spent and it looks so much better in real life than in pictures. :)

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #2,882 of 7,481
The picture that I forgot to post. :)

IMG_2868.jpg

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #2,883 of 7,481
Power switch on and meters at 65 mA. It's beautiful. Fortunately I'm decently clothed because this thing is like a mirror. I'm astonished that the Sowter output transformers is about the same size of the Hammond mains transformer and it's hard to find a better match looks wise. The volume knob is heavy and smooth. It's solid metal and so are the other knobs. The chassis is nice and cold to the touch. I'll let it warm up before playing Berlin. :)

IMG_2866.jpg
Glad it arrived safely.....enjoy Matt :relaxed:

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #2,885 of 7,481
What you have done with Odyssey's tone is even more beautiful. I don't know how you do it but you did it. He1000se has da bass now. I mean it had it before but now it's just drop dead gorgeous. The amp is so responsive to tube changes. I've only change the rectifier to Mullard GZ32 and the driver to GE 5691. Immediately the tone has gone from near neutral to slightly warm and euphonic. It's the drum kicks that will move you. If you have a weak heart , it might be the last song for you. :wink:

This amp is powerful no doubt about it but it's power in control. The way it's powering the HiFiMan is pure refinement. With LCD4, it's bass intoxication. I love Auris Nirvana driving LCD4 but Odyssey will make you forget all that you've heard before.

Playing an old favorite song - War On Drugs 'Pain'. Phew, it's ecstasy.

IMG_2869.jpg

Aug 13, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #2,886 of 7,481
The amp is cool to the touch even after 6 hours. The only part that is hot are the tubes and the Hammond mains transformer. Even the Sowter output transformers are cool to the touch. The chassis is cool. :)

Listening to Metallica 'Nothing Else Matters' now. I'm sure it's the Sowter irons contributing to the weight in the tone but the top end is so clear. It's not just about the bass. The mids on fire. I've not heard anything like it.

'Enter The Sandman' came on ..... :beyersmile:

IMG_2870.jpg

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,888 of 7,481
Nice pic! Looks great, congrats!

Thanks Keenan ! I spend so many hours listening last night that I had to stop and go to bed. Resume again this early morning at 2am :) Must have slept no more than 4 hours.

It took me a few secs to capture Odyssey in that picture. Well maybe more than a few secs. I had to darken the room and hold my iPhone steady. Michelangelo took 2 years to complete the statue of David. I reckon I'm better.

The truth is the amp next to it (Chameleon) sound bloody amazing too but it's more relaxed and has a palatable tone while Odyssey has a ring of audiophile quality to it's tone. It's picking out musical notes like Yuja Wang does to her pieces. Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 23 - simply brilliant.

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #2,889 of 7,481
Aug 13, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,890 of 7,481
Thanks Keenan ! I spend so many hours listening last night that I had to stop and go to bed. Resume again this early morning at 2am :) Must have slept no more than 4 hours.

It took me a few secs to capture Odyssey in that picture. Well maybe more than a few secs. I had to darken the room and hold my iPhone steady. Michelangelo took 2 years to complete the statue of David. I reckon I'm better.

The truth is the amp next to it (Chameleon) sound bloody amazing too but it's more relaxed and has a palatable tone while Odyssey has a ring of audiophile quality to it's tone. It's picking out musical notes like Yuja Wang does to her pieces. Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1, Op. 23 - simply brilliant.

Sounds like a good problem! It is nice to have choices in your amplifiers. Is the Chameleon on loan or a permanent addition to the collection?

Yuja Wang sometimes performs with my hometown Cleveland Orchestra. I will be seeing them this weekend (without Wang), Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 1 and Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 :)

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #2,891 of 7,481
Suitable for framing! A home run visually and (I trust) sonically!

You have no idea. Sonically it's better than Yuja Wang. Visually too. :ksc75smile: :o2smile:

Sounds like a good problem! It is nice to have choices in your amplifiers. Is the Chameleon on loan or a permanent addition to the collection?

Yuja Wang sometimes performs with my hometown Cleveland Orchestra. I will be seeing them this weekend (without Wang), Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 1 and Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 :)

Chameleon goes to USA after I am done testing it. Both builder and buyer trust my ears.... for some reasons. I off course trust my own ears. :gs1000smile: Beck's 'Morning Phase' album sounded hauntingly beautiful this early morning.

A switch to EL34 - Philips Miniwatt 6CA7 and I marvel at the tone this amp is dishing out.

IMG_2872.jpg

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #2,892 of 7,481
You have no idea. Sonically it's better than Yuja Wang. Visually too. :ksc75smile: :o2smile:

Chameleon goes to USA after I am done testing it. Both builder and buyer trust my ears.... for some reasons. I off course trust my own ears. :gs1000smile: Beck's 'Morning Phase' album sounded hauntingly beautiful this early morning.

A switch to EL34 - Philips Miniwatt 6CA7 and I marvel at the tone this amp is dishing out.

Does one of the front switches change from EL11 to 6SL7 gain stage? Do you prefer one or the other so far?

Perhaps it is the Sowter transformer magic. I am using Sowter once more in my DAC but I am trying some different output transformers next from the good ol' US of A.

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #2,893 of 7,481
Does one of the front switches change from EL11 to 6SL7 gain stage? Do you prefer one or the other so far?

Perhaps it is the Sowter transformer magic. I am using Sowter once more in my DAC but I am trying some different output transformers next from the good ol' US of A.

The 2 front switches are 1) To the left of the volume knob is the speaker on/off switch. 2) To the right of the volume knob is the impedance switch. The EL11 or 6SL7 switch is the same type of rotary knob at the back of the chassis. I'm liking both EL11 and 6SL7 now. I can hear the difference but at this point in time, it's very hard to pick a favorite. The EL11 certainly didn't disappoint. It's just an incredible tone. I think I'm finally hearing EL11 the way it should be.

I totally agree with you on the Sowter transformers magic. This amp can sound very delicate on the soft passages but when the crescendos in the music comes, it's presented in a very convincing way. It's then that you feel the force. The other magic is snappy and fast transients when called for and I can feel my head bobbing away.

So what other different output transformers are you trying out next? What's from USA? Cinemag ? That's from USA and they are well known. :)

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #2,894 of 7,481
The 2 front switches are 1) To the left of the volume knob is the speaker on/off switch. 2) To the right of the volume knob is the impedance switch. The EL11 or 6SL7 switch is the same type of rotary knob at the back of the chassis. I'm liking both EL11 and 6SL7 now. I can hear the difference but at this point in time, it's very hard to pick a favorite. The EL11 certainly didn't disappoint. It's just an incredible tone. I think I'm finally hearing EL11 the way it should be.

I totally agree with you on the Sowter transformers magic. This amp can sound very delicate on the soft passages but when the crescendos in the music comes, it's presented in a very convincing way. It's then that you feel the force. The other magic is snappy and fast transients when called for and I can feel my head bobbing away.

So what other different output transformers are you trying out next? What's from USA? Cinemag ? That's from USA and they are well known. :)

Very nice, will you try with your speakers soon? Finally got to use your EL11. Can the EL12 be used as powers with adapters? No doubt the high quality iron is playing a role! It goes a long way to use good parts.

Well I have a pair of custom output transformers from Jack Elliano of Electra-Print, they arrived in less than two weeks! I was shocked. Jack is very knowledgeable but interesting to order from, he must approve of your implementation or he will not sell you his transformers LOL he doesn't want them to go into bad designs!!! Fears for his reputation, too funny. I also have a pair of custom 1:1 interstage transformers from Dave Slagle of Intact Audio, all USA iron next time around. I love Sowter but the lead time is becoming difficult.

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,895 of 7,481
I have briefly tried my speakers yesterday and was satisfied it drove my inefficient speakers loud in near field listening or if I push my chair back, it's almost 3 metres away. Loud and with meaty flavors.

I can use EL12 with adapters but I have better. I will be using the EL12 spez with adapters. This is the Ferrari of the EL12s.

Interstage transformers :) My 300b amp Destiny uses that. There is no way for me to verify if it's better than good capacitors but Audio Note has this to say about their interstage transformers.... Nicely written. No doubt to drive up sales lol.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that applying transformer at every stage of an amplifier yields a great benefit in sound quality, provided off course the transformer in question is of an appropriate quality and design.

Replacing any coupling capacitor with a well designed and correctly matched driver or interstage transformer yields an almost shocking improvement in sound and should be tried to fully understand what a good wideband transformer has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back