Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jun 26, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #2,401 of 7,539
Here it is 16. Moved from the pub to the beer garden. I live a healthy life, always prefer nature instead of houses.
20210626_164552.jpg
Yes and the beer tastes so much better in the right surroundings :relaxed:.

Jun 26, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #2,403 of 7,539
Which model should I get for HD800S and ZMF Atticus ?

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #2,404 of 7,539
How did your Oblivion compare to that woo amp?

That Woo Wa5le amp was shored up with the best tubes. Mullard CV1988 but we know Mullard didn't make those. They are most likely Brimars. Power tubes are Takatsuki 300b and rectifiers are EML 274b. I remembered that Woo amp as what I would love about a 300b amp... with those tubes. It was great. Mid centric, tubey as could be and a low end simmer to die for.

However I wish I could borrow that Woo amp again to compare with my Destiny now. Destiny is a 300b amp made by Eric of McChanson's amp. I am only using Genalex Gold Lion 300b tubes, drivers are GE 6EM7 and rectifier is a Sittard GZ34 Made in Holland. I have love Destiny for 3 months now. A love affair that is getting indecent. I spend so much time with LCD4 and Destiny in the last 3 months that I have almost forgotten about Oblivion.

So about 3 weeks ago I resurrected Oblivion again and started listening with my He1000se. This is when I sit up and wondered what I have been missing. My head's cleared now from last night lovely dinner and couple of craft beers. Sitting here for the last hour listening to music with these 2 combinations:-

Yggdrasil feeding :-

1. Oblivion > He1000se (Yang)
2. Destiny > LCD4 (Yin)

It's Yin and Yang. Yin is the black side and Yang is the white side. The relationship between Yin and Yang is often described as sunlight playing over a mountain and a valley. Listening to the same song with Yin and Yang and the contrast couldn't be greater but I'm transfixed by the tone of each. Amazingly beautiful texture. Yin is dark, warm and enveloping. The song 'I'll play the blues for you' by Daniel Castro seem tailor made for it. Yang on the other hand, is fresh, airy, details galore and an amazingly wide soundstage. After one and a half years with Oblivion, I still marveled at the instruments separation. Tube tone in Oblivion is just right and bass is present without being overpowering. With He1000se, I couldn't stop the listening session. I'm engrossed.

I love my setup now with my Yin and Yang. I wouldn't want to change anything but change is coming. Odyssey will be coming home and I've never waited for an amp with greater anticipation than this custom KT88 / EL34 tube amp (Odyssey) from Ultrasonic Studio.

There's the Yin and Yang in the rack.

I was about to press send to post this then I saw your question about which model to get for HD800S and Atticus. I've own Atticus before and I have the HD800 and have also heard the HD800S. Oblivion would be perfect for these headphones. That said, I've not heard the fully balanced Citadel but there has been some reviews of the Citadel in this thread that is very positive.

IMG_2659.jpg

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #2,405 of 7,539
That Woo Wa5le amp was shored up with the best tubes. Mullard CV1988 but we know Mullard didn't make those. They are most likely Brimars. Power tubes are Takatsuki 300b and rectifiers are EML 274b. I remembered that Woo amp as what I would love about a 300b amp... with those tubes. It was great. Mid centric, tubey as could be and a low end simmer to die for.

However I wish I could borrow that Woo amp again to compare with my Destiny now. Destiny is a 300b amp made by Eric of McChanson's amp. I am only using Genalex Gold Lion 300b tubes, drivers are GE 6EM7 and rectifier is a Sittard GZ34 Made in Holland. I have love Destiny for 3 months now. A love affair that is getting indecent. I spend so much time with LCD4 and Destiny in the last 3 months that I have almost forgotten about Oblivion.

So about 3 weeks ago I resurrected Oblivion again and started listening with my He1000se. This is when I sit up and wondered what I have been missing. My head's cleared now from last night lovely dinner and couple of craft beers. Sitting here for the last hour listening to music with these 2 combinations:-

Yggdrasil feeding :-

1. Oblivion > He1000se (Yang)
2. Destiny > LCD4 (Yin)

It's Yin and Yang. Yin is the black side and Yang is the white side. The relationship between Yin and Yang is often described as sunlight playing over a mountain and a valley. Listening to the same song with Yin and Yang and the contrast couldn't be greater but I'm transfixed by the tone of each. Amazingly beautiful texture. Yin is dark, warm and enveloping. The song 'I'll play the blues for you' by Daniel Castro seem tailor made for it. Yang on the other hand, is fresh, airy, details galore and an amazingly wide soundstage. After one and a half years with Oblivion, I still marveled at the instruments separation. Tube tone in Oblivion is just right and bass is present without being overpowering. With He1000se, I couldn't stop the listening session. I'm engrossed.

I love my setup now with my Yin and Yang. I wouldn't want to change anything but change is coming. Odyssey will be coming home and I've never waited for an amp with greater anticipation than this custom KT88 / EL34 tube amp (Odyssey) from Ultrasonic Studio.

There's the Yin and Yang in the rack.

I was about to press send to post this then I saw your question about which model to get for HD800S and Atticus. I've own Atticus before and I have the HD800 and have also heard the HD800S. Oblivion would be perfect for these headphones. That said, I've not heard the fully balanced Citadel but there has been some reviews of the Citadel in this thread that is very positive.

IMG_2659.jpg
Thanks so much. How do these compare to the Woo audio WA5 that you had/have ?

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #2,406 of 7,539
Thanks so much. How do these compare to the Woo audio WA5 that you had/have ?

As far as I remember, Wa5 soundstage isn't as wide as Destiny and Oblivion's soundstage is the widest. Wa5le wasn't mine. It was loan to me by a friend and what a friend he is. He was willing to let me have it with the Takatsuki 300b tubes.

To put things in perspective, I was comparing my newly arrived Glenn OTL amp with the Wa5le. That was in 2018... If I revisit Glenn's thread, I will remember that I prefer Glenn OTL amp slightly more than the Wa5le because of the GOTL snappier transients and dynamics. Where Wa5le shine was in the mids and even then I think Destiny's tuning is much better than Wa5le. Shocking isn't it because Destiny had only lower end 300b tubes.

When I received Oblivion, I had Studio Six and GOTL. Of the 3, I preferred Oblivion over the other 2. GOTL and Studio Six were eventually sold off but I still have Oblivion.

With Oblivion, you will hear minute details that he would miss with the Wa5le. Oblivion is about dynamics, faster transients and a much more spaced out soundscape. With a headphone that is already wide, such as the HD800 and He1000se, the effect is quite amazing. I love it. Wa5le is warmer, more tubey and more relaxing. It's a totally different sound signature.

A 300b amp and Oblivion would be perfect compliment.

This picture of GOTL, Yggdrasil and Wa5le was taken in 10th Feb 2018. That was 2 weeks of bliss. They were both great sounding amps but despite that, I find Oblivion and Destiny better.

20180210_195040.jpg

This picture, Atticus is slightly in the view. It's in Pardauk wood. I even have the Eikon in Cherry wood. Then later I had Verite LTD in Pheasant wood. Someday I might get another ZMF headphone again.
20180217_130658.jpg

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #2,407 of 7,539
Over the years, amps have come and gone. I've had many tube amps and solid states. I did miss out on DNA Stratus and an Eddie Current. Even had the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP. I suppose I can't chase every amps under the sun. I'm happy with my audio journey. It's been varied enough. I have sampled enough. I'm not tied to any brand or beholden to any manufacturer.

My Elekit TU-8200 is being repaired now. Odyssey is only waiting on the Sowter output transformers. Odyssey, Destiny and Oblivion will be on the 2 racks. That should be sufficient for my needs here. Each of them are different enough to be complimentary.

I may get a good solid state very much later.. not sure if I need it but just a thought. Here in this picture I had my Ragnarok. On hind sight maybe I should have kept it. I bought it together with Yggdrasil back in 2017 and I'm no Schiit fan boy. :jecklinsmile:

20180120_183012.jpg

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #2,408 of 7,539
A long time ago... back in 2017.... this was my end game. Yggdrasil > Feliks Audio Euforia > HD800. It was my pride and joy then. :) Those are good tubes too on Euforia. Sylvania 6sn7w and Bendix 6080wb.

Euforia has long been gone but the other 2 items remained.

20170520_155257.jpg

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #2,409 of 7,539
Fast forward to today... I only care for one dac, 2 amps and 2 headphones. It is cringe worthy. My only problem is deciding which combination to use. Oblivion > He1000se or Destiny > LCD4. It's basic instinct. The sonic attraction is raw and real. Looking back, the above setup won't move me like these do.

Now the challenge for Odyssey. Will it be a step up? :relaxed: :jecklinsmile: Time will tell.

IMG_2665.jpg

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #2,412 of 7,539
Eternity (Using EL39 and NR73)

NR73 is essentially Mullard ECC31. It should be a great pairing with EL39, which I have and have not even use it yet.

and this is very strange. I thought I'm the only one listening to Willie Nelson. You wouldn't be listening to Leonard Cohen too, would you?

However I'm listening to Roger Waters In The Flesh - Live on Tidal now.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #2,413 of 7,539
Holy bill cowen, where have you been hpamdr. I'm counting sheep everyday waiting for Sowter to deliver the transformers.

In Australlia and specially in winter it is easy to count sheep in stable:wink:

I was just working far from home and amp/headphone. So nothing relevant to say !

// Side to this you should know that copper, nickel, stainless steel (sub product is even worse) are not that easy to get for a good price and all buyers fight to get a good ratio price/time for delivery. During Covid a lot have been shutdown or reduced as minimal and now demamd start again with bottle neck on all ressources. So be patient for Sowter.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #2,414 of 7,539
// Side to this you should know that copper, nickel, stainless steel (sub product is even worse) are not that easy to get for a good price and all buyers fight to get a good ratio price/time for delivery. During Covid a lot have been shutdown or reduced as minimal and now demamd start again with bottle neck on all ressources. So be patient for Sowter.
Yeah, I'm waiting on some work on the house because of this general short supply of materials due to covid, also due to Brexit involving the UK leaving the EU!

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #2,415 of 7,539
and this is very strange. I thought I'm the only one listening to Willie Nelson. You wouldn't be listening to Leonard Cohen too, would you?

However I'm listening to Roger Waters In The Flesh - Live on Tidal now.
Do you want it darker :wink:
You should also like Paolo Conte !
About Roger Water, i have recently bought Us + Them Album wich i like a lot even if i would have prefered voices to be more "frontend".

I like a lot album where music serve the voices without autotune nor echoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back